Hurricanes Lounge XXIX: The "Hot and Cold" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
My kids had to be evacuated from their school due to a gas line explosion that occurred just across the street. A couple people have died that were on scene and one of my sons said a few kids at the school were hurt when debris fell from the shock wave. Crazy shit.

190410162535-02-durham-nc-fire-0410-exlarge-169.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, it is ****ity, but to me, 0 a month for gas driving back and forth is worth it.

Maybe. I looked at an electric car before my wife got her car. The ROI wasn't there for me, but with your mileage it may be, depending on what other new car you would compare it against. My understanding is that in 2019, the Fed. Tax credit was cut from $7500 to $3750. Not sure how that tax credit works with the new Trump tax changes, but I assume it's a real credit on your taxes (vs. a deduction). In a couple of months though, that credit is expected to drop to $1875. NC has no state credits for EV.

So let's say you are buying a tesla base model for $39,500-$1875 vs. a hybrid (I'll pick a Prius for example which you can get for about $23,000). What are some of the factors.
- Pers. Property tax (probably minor) will be more on a Tesla
- Insurance (not so minor) will be more on a Tesla.
- Do you need to buy a special charging for a Tesla at home?
- How much additional does it cost to use charging stations?
- What are Repair costs?
- I assume maintenance will be cheaper with an electric vehicle than a gas vehicle

Ignoring all of those, let's just look at energy costs. The Tesla 3 uses 27 KwH / 100 miles. The average cost / KwH in NC is $0.11 So for every 100 miles, you will be using about $3.00 worth of electricity.
A Prius gets about 50 MPG. With gas ~$2.50/G, so for every 100 miles, you will be using about $5.00 worth of gas. So if the savings is $2 for every 100 miles on a Tesla 3 vs. a Prius, then you would have to drive > 700,000 miles for it to make up for the higher cost of a Tesla (ignoring the other factors above as well as Time Value of Money).

Now, a Prius is an extreme case and the Tesla 3 is a MUCH nicer and more fun to drive vehicle than Prius, but if gas/energy savings is your only goal, then the Tesla may not be the best option. If you want a Tesla because it's fun to drive, more luxurious and saves money on gas, then it probably makes sense. My guess is most people that buy a Tesla aren't buying it to save money, so that makes sense.

I need a truck for farm work and really like my F150. Ford recently announced they are coming out with a Hybrid F150 which is something I'd consider, depending on the age of my truck when it comes out and the overall ROI.

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Maybe. I looked at an electric car before my wife got her car. The ROI wasn't there for me, but with your mileage it may be, depending on what other new car you would compare it against. My understanding is that in 2019, the Fed. Tax credit was cut from $7500 to $3750. Not sure how that tax credit works with the new Trump tax changes, but I assume it's a real credit on your taxes (vs. a deduction). In a couple of months though, that credit is expected to drop to $1875. NC has no state credits for EV.

So let's say you are buying a tesla base model for $39,500-$1875 vs. a hybrid (I'll pick a Prius for example which you can get for about $23,000). What are some of the factors.
- Pers. Property tax (probably minor) will be more on a Tesla
- Insurance (not so minor) will be more on a Tesla.
- Do you need to buy a special charging for a Tesla at home?
- How much additional does it cost to use charging stations?
- What are Repair costs?
- I assume maintenance will be cheaper with an electric vehicle than a gas vehicle

Ignoring all of those, let's just look at energy costs. The Tesla 3 uses 27 KwH / 100 miles. The average cost / KwH in NC is $0.11 So for every 100 miles, you will be using about $3.00 worth of electricity.
A Prius gets about 50 MPG. With gas ~$2.50/G, so for every 100 miles, you will be using about $5.00 worth of gas. So if the savings is $2 for every 100 miles on a Tesla 3 vs. a Prius, then you would have to drive > 700,000 miles for it to make up for the higher cost of a Tesla (ignoring the other factors above as well as Time Value of Money).

Now, a Prius is an extreme case and the Tesla 3 is a MUCH nicer and more fun to drive vehicle than Prius, but if gas/energy savings is your only goal, then the Tesla may not be the best option. If you want a Tesla because it's fun to drive, more luxurious and saves money on gas, then it probably makes sense. My guess is most people that buy a Tesla aren't buying it to save money, so that makes sense.

I need a truck for farm work and really like my F150. Ford recently announced they are coming out with a Hybrid F150 which is something I'd consider, depending on the age of my truck when it comes out and the overall ROI.

I drive roughly 50 miles a day for work.

The offset of not paying for gas offsets the higher price, for the house, just have to get a 220 outlet placed.

Reactions: Identity404

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
What? you mean you don't like going 0-60 in 11 seconds?
Smiles per gallon>miles per gallon. Or in this case is it smiles per kW? I went from a Mazda 3s hatchback to a VW GTI and lost about 5 mpg in all situations and now I have to fill up with premium. When the turbo spools up as I’m merging onto a highway or passing on a two lane the lost mileage and higher fuel prices are the last thing on my mind. Then again I’ll never be accused of being a penny pincher haha

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh lol: Finland scores the supposed winner. The election results programme gets interrupted, cuts to the game. Refs ponder on goalie interference, the election commmentators start commenting on the game replay: should be good goal.

Refs still on phone, the screen is split 50/50 for election results/hockey game. Election people talk election stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad