Hurricanes Lounge XXIX: The "Hot and Cold" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Our phones started blaring about a Flash Flood warning waking us up at about 2am.

Yeah, those are the worst. We used to have a weather alert radio for tornado warnings. But the number of flash flood and areal flood warnings we would get made us pull the plug on the damned thing. I live near the top of a hill, if I have to worry about a flood, the rest of Durm is underwater.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, those are the worst. We used to have a weather alert radio for tornado warnings. But the number of flash flood and areal flood warnings we would get made us pull the plug on the damned thing. I live near the top of a hill, if I have to worry about a flood, the rest of Durm is underwater.

Yeah, usually I shut the phone off, but given how bad the storms were and the fact that the tornado that went through the area in 2011(?) went less than a half mile behind our neighborhood, I didn't want to miss a real tornado warning. I'm guessing there is a way to configure it to ignore flash floods, as we aren't in an area that could be impacted by those either.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
That flash flood warning about pissed me off. I don't recall ever getting an alert for that previously. Combine that with 2 hours later hearing my daughter on her tablet, and the subsequent meltdown, made for a grumpy start to my day.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I think I figured out how to turn those off. If you go into your emergency alert settings, there are sliders for "severe" weather and "extreme" weather. Explanations here.

I turned off the severe alerts. Storm surges and dust storms are not a concern here, and snow squalls are rarer than hen's teeth. So the only one we ever get is the flash flood alert. My house is not in a floodplain, so I don't need my phone to wake me up in the middle of the night to tell me it's raining.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
They use those loud alerts here for amber alerts. A couple weeks ago they issued one late at night for a little girl missing in the Toronto area but the alert was pushed as far as Ottawa. Big deal, right? Some people got so mad at being disturbed by it that they called 911 and/or took to social media to complain about it. People are so shitty.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The Crown of Thorns is there and may be lost. Horrible.

Hoping this doesn’t have anything to do with the multiple arsons in Paris churches over the past weeks.

The cause is yet unknown, but my first thought was a construction accident given that the roof is covered with scaffolding. But that is just speculation on my part.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
CBC is reporting it was related to the renovations but they didn’t say how exactly.

Also there’s this:

That moron doesn't understand the weight of water, apparently. Because, what an old structure on fire needs is 100s of tons of water to come crashing down on the structure or the priceless stained glass windows.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Surreal. Where our press' internet sites yesterday had live video from Notre-Dame of Paris, today they had live video following a vicarage in Kempele, Finland getting destroyed in fire.

3ac9078110aa4fcab52cd064c7dce4f1.jpg.webp

This is like a really sad attempt to get in on the game with the big leaguers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad