Rumor: Hurricanes interested in Laine, Jets want Pesce and Necas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Certainly. But at the same time they're getting a legit defensmen, which they sorely need.

Jets needing a value RD contract on a player in his prime still don't justify trade value IMO. If Necas don't turn into a legit top 2C, Jets loose this trade. It's too risky and Jets would probably like to see Necas in his age 22 season I would imagine. He didn't finish well in the playoffs against the Bruins. Still young yes but Jets can't bank on hope

Last edited:
Reactions: Huffer

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Why is why I think you argue they can afford to lose Pesce and Necas for a legitimate game breaker and then slowly move out older less effective forward depth and plug and play if they can keep together the elite three of Svech, Aho and Laine.

This and a move like Kuemper would make them a favorite for the cup in my eyes.
Canes can't do any of that unless the league is giving them an exemption on being under the cap.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
As a neutral observer, I think the trade rumour makes some sense for both sides? I really dont get why Winnipeg wants to trade Laine but at this point, it seems like a matter of time before it happens.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Canes can't do any of that unless the league is giving them an exemption on being under the cap.

They can fit Laine this year with Pesce and Necas going out. Then move either a player like Dzingel or Nino or one of their goalies out for Kuemper with a 1st.

I'd argue it is another reason for getting value for Pesce because they likely are losing Fleury unless they decide to expose Trochek if they don't at the ED.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Continues to improve? Did anybody notice his usage against the Bruins in the playoffs? He turns 22 in a few days so we have to give him a bit of a break but he didn't trend well in the playoffs and that was a good test for him at age 21. He finished playing 4th line RW... not even 4th line Center.

Not saying he will bust but I do feel posters are not looking at context with Necas. If Necas was with the Leafs or Habs and trended like that, his value would be rag dolled on HF boards. I doubt posters outside of the Canes or Bruins watched him in the playoffs.

So you're dismissing entire regular season as a rookie because of 3 playoff games where Carolina was battling elimination?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
They can fit Laine this year with Pesce and Necas going out. Then move either a player like Dzingel or Nino or one of their goalies out for Kuemper with a 1st.
No, they can't. Laine has a cap hit of $6.75M vs Pesce at $4.05M and Necas at $0.87M. That is a net loss of cap space of more than $1.8M while they only have $0.93M in space. Then your idea to move Dzingle out ($3.4M cap) for Kuemper ($4.5M cap) for a net loss of another $1.1M more.

Math is still math and we can't do that. The only option you gave that would be cap friendly to the Canes would be Niederreiter for Kuemper, but Arizona would have zero interest in adding more cap.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you're dismissing entire regular season as a rookie because of 3 playoff games where Carolina was battling elimination?

No, I'm not. Just a context of how Necas finished the playoffs. I clearly said I am not saying he will bust. Nobody will convince me that he is a sure shot 2C at age 22 though (turns 22 in a few days).

Have a nice day

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Jets needing a value RD contract on a player in his prime still don't justify trade value IMO. If Necas don't turn into a legit top 2C, Jets loose this trade. It's too risky and Jets would probably like to see Necas in his age 22 season I would imagine. He didn't finish well in the playoffs against the Bruins. Still young yes but Jets can bank on hope

Agree with your posts, and while somewhat minor in the grand scheme, a trade like this puts the Jets in a situation in regards to the expansion draft.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Last time a one-dimensional young winger was traded it was Kessel. Like that trade, the team receiving the one-dimensional winger would quickly get buyer’s remorse.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No, they can't. Laine has a cap hit of $6.75M vs Pesce at $4.05M and Necas at $0.87M. That is a net loss of cap space of more than $1.8M while they only have $0.93M in space. Then your idea to move Dzingle out ($3.4M cap) for Kuemper ($4.5M cap) for a net loss of another $1.1M more.

Math is still math and we can't do that. The only option you gave that would be cap friendly to the Canes would be Niederreiter for Kuemper, but Arizona would have zero interest in adding more cap.

They can easily bury contracts on the taxi squad this season. Watch what the big teams are going to do with it like Toronto and Tampa.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
He would fit with the other players and in the system just fine, but where you’re right that he doesn’t fit is within the team’s cap construction.
As I see it Hurricanes have a roster full of good players. They could use that amount of value to trade for another star but with Aho and Svech all you need is good depth and what you have is really, really good.

A superstar C is the only thing worth messing up that roster structure and depth for.

Reactions: Odie Cleghorn

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Suspected I'd see you sooner then later. Its hard when your hero isn't quite what you thought he was and too top it off hes not even the best goalscorer from his draft. I'm also disappointed Laine hasn't had a few 60g seasons yet.[MOD]
Dude. If you’re not here to have any real conversations then why are you here? I’ve never claimed Laine was the best goal scorer or going to score 60. Also, Matthews has never come close to 60 so I’m not sure what your point is? Look at your post history, all it is is crapping on Laine. Also, it’s “than” not “then” and “to” not “too”. Normally I wouldn’t care but someone like you that’s smarter than everyone should know those things.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As a neutral observer, I think the trade rumour makes some sense for both sides? I really dont get why Winnipeg wants to trade Laine but at this point, it seems like a matter of time before it happens.

Jets are frugal and I don't blame them. If you have an asset that wants to cash in like Marner or Matthews and you ended up settling on a 2 year bridge, what is the next step? Jets are the only team in the NHL that did not pay signing bonus money this past year. Laine might want out but who knows what the truth is. Do the Jets want to pay Laine $9M+? Connor just had a better season vs Laine. Jets don't have one signal bad contract and it's possible they don't want to pay him more than Connor on a long term deal and they don't want to give him a fast track to UFA type contract either.

No fan knows the truth and we can only speculate. The whole situation reminds me of the Subban situation with the Habs. Habs gave him a bridge and then he burned us by demanding $9M on a 8 year deal. It was all about Subban and it's possible it's all about Laine with the Jets situation. Laine appears to be the type that wants top PP minutes and to play with their best center. Jets are not budging on that. I respect it cause this is a salary cap world and I always hate it when greedy players want maxed out deals and special privileges. In most cases, the player can take a little less, still be rich, and their team is in better shape with the Salary cap. Look no further than how it should be done with Crosby and MacKinnon... NS boys. Maybe being from the Maritimes, I see this differently than others? :dunno:

Agents serve a role to protect players but they are really after their % of the share. Just like an agent when you are trying to sell or buy a house. They are really good at planting little seeds to influence you. But lets face it, in most cases, a player goes after the maxed out deal and they fail to meet up to it and it creates distraction or a black cloud following them around. Easy for me to say but I'd easily take $60M over 8 years vs $80M over 8 years.... to allow the team to be more competitive.

At the end of the day, players get 50% of the revenue. Stars should be paid but not at the cost of team competitiveness

Last edited:
Reactions: Pongs21 and Huffer

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Last time a one-dimensional young winger was traded it was Kessel. Like that trade, the team receiving the one-dimensional winger would quickly get buyer’s remorse.
well they got 2 cups out of it where he was a large contributor to their success (45 pts 49 gp) and was arguably a CS candidate in one of them. Or do you mean from BOS to TOR?

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
I've taken a bit of a break from posting here but I HAVE to post on this....Necas AND Pesce? Get the f*** out of here.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Gotta give to get. It's pretty even IMHO but I imagine that the Jets may have to add a small piece if it's both Pesce and Necas.

Maybe: Laine+Roslovic for Pesce+Necas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad