Rumor: Hurricanes interested in Laine, Jets want Pesce and Necas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Makes sense. They can move some pieces out to upgrade. They have Jake Bean (2019-2020 AHL defenseman of the year) who looks NHL ready and i liked what i saw from Haydn Fleury once he got his ice time bumped up when Hamilton went on IR.

They have too many similar forwards so adding Laine would be a great add in my opinion.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Pesce ($4 million x 4 years) and Necas (ELC x 2 years) are two of the Canes better value contracts right now. Dealing both of them for an upcoming RFA looking to get his mega-contract (also arbitration eligible) doesn't work out Cap wise. Unless Laine comes with a pre-agreed, reasonable extension.

Pesce + one of Suzuki/Bokk/Bean/Keane
Necas + Skjei/Gardiner + a B prospect

Although I question the strategy behind building around 2 superstar wingers. And whatever Laine gets paid, Svechnikov will want more as I expect him to be the better player.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If Necas can become a top 6 player and sniff 50ish points which he was on pace to do, then I'd keep the CAR players all day everyday

Necas scored at a 46 point pace last year as a Rookie so I would think 50 is an attainable.

The real benefit to the Canes is the possibility that they could bridge Necas during their Cup window and have cheap secondary scoring. Laine is a beast but he will be making 2-3x Necas for the next 3-4 years at least.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I do not see CAR entertaining dealing Pesce, at all, even for a player like Laine, until there is resolution on a Hamilton extension. Pesce is their only long-term top 4 RD, signed very reasonably for the next 4 years.

IF they re-sign Hamilton to an extension, then perhaps you could think about dealing Pesce, but certainly not Pesce + Necas. Trading 2 extreme value contracts (Pesce at $4M x 4yr and 2 more years of ELC for Necas plus expansion draft exemption) for a mega contract to be (Laine needs new deal)is just stupid in a flat cap world, unless you’re getting a McDavid or the like.

You want Necas? Well, you need to take Skjei or Niederreiter and you’re not getting Pesce. You want Pesce? You’re not getting Necas.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
As a Jets fan, this is the sort of deal I'd be looking for. I don't think it makes sense for the Canes though. If they hadn't gotten Svech it probably would, but as it stands their top line is already set and with new contracts next year for both Svech and Hamilton I don't see how they could fit Laine without losing substantial depth. In an ideal world they currently have the depth to make this sort of deal, but the cap ramifications likely kill it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Necas scored at a 46 point pace last year as a Rookie so I would think 50 is an attainable.

The real benefit to the Canes is the possibility that they could bridge Necas during their Cup window and have cheap secondary scoring. Laine is a beast but he will be making 2-3x Necas for the next 3-4 years at least.

Top 3 RD locked up for another 4 years @ $4.025 mil, capable of 25-30pts

Top 6 player at 863k for 2 more years (likely gets around 4-5 mil on next deal, capable of 20ish goals and 50-60pts

Vs

Top line RW making 9 mil or more soon, capable of 35-40 goals and 70-80pts, maybe he can hit 90 once or twice if paired with Aho.

Basically getting two really good players vs one, next two years are cheaper than Laine is now and will be roughly the same cost or cheaper for 2 years after that.
Easy choice imo, Laine is good but he's not a top 3 D + 2nd line winger good right now

Plus CAR already has a top line wing in Svech

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Seems about right, Laine would make Carolina's PP absolutely lethal, but they'd take a hit at 5v5 by losing Pesce.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Feel like there's a deal to be made based around Laine for Pesce + Jarvis + a replacement forward.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Depends on how highly you think of Necas. If he continues to improve, then how much are the Canes improving by adding Laine? Is it worth losing Necas and Pesce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->