Rumor: Hurricanes interested in Laine, Jets want Pesce and Necas

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I feel like something around Hamilton (extended) + Necas makes more sense. Maybe WPG sends back a depth D. Of course, I could be wrong, but I would try to keep Pesce over Hamilton if I was Carolina management.

Reactions: Huffer

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Laine is tricky.

He's only 22. At his age - MacKinnon was still a ~50 point player, and look how he exploded. And unlike Mackinnon - Laine did even better early on.

Matthews has been great since day 1 - but Laine was always seen/talked as the better goal-scorer, if Matthews better overall.

I'm not saying Laine ends up being better than Mack or Matthews - I'm just pointing out that he's still young, has done great so far for his age, and his potential is still tremendous. I know there are risks - but a team acquiring him likely has to pay high and hope for the best, which may or may not happen

Reactions: LakeLivin and Dache

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Idk imagine the Jets don't want to go through another contract negotiation with Laine. Pretty smart of them to not get backed into a corner.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I get Jets asking for that price. I would be surprised if they got that price. Still SMH Canes didn't get a G.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I know the Jets need D help but idk that seems like a kind of underwhelming return for Laine.
It's fair at best. But people will say its an overpayment, not knowing what kind of player Laine is, still living in the "One dimensional fortnite player" -meme world.

Talking about 22 year old elite goal scorer here people, not Jonathan Drouin.

That being said, the cap / signing issues following this deal would be too much for the Canes.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I feel like something around Hamilton (extended) + Necas makes more sense. Maybe WPG sends back a depth D. Of course, I could be wrong, but I would try to keep Pesce over Hamilton if I was Carolina management.

Necas would not be an add to an extended Hamilton. A signed Hamilton would likely be worth Laine 1-1. He is one of the top D in the NHL .

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Pesce ($4 million x 4 years) and Necas (ELC x 2 years) are two of the Canes better value contracts right now. Dealing both of them for an upcoming RFA looking to get his mega-contract (also arbitration eligible) doesn't work out Cap wise. Unless Laine comes with a pre-agreed, reasonable extension.

Pesce + one of Suzuki/Bokk/Bean/Keane
Necas + Skjei/Gardiner + a B prospect

Although I question the strategy behind building around 2 superstar wingers. And whatever Laine gets paid, Svechnikov will want more as I expect him to be the better player.
If Laine is a superstar nhl is in trouble..not even a top 50 player in Nhl

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Necas would not be an add to an extended Hamilton. A signed Hamilton would likely be worth Laine 1-1. He is one of the top D in the NHL .

The issue with this is that presumably, the extension would be based around the trade, and not vice versa. An agreed upon extension with Winnipeg makes his value greater than were he an impending UFA, but less than if the extension was already in effect.

My impression was that Hamilton and Carolina were not particularly close on an extension, which was a big part of my thinking on this deal.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
As a Jet, yes please, we can ad Roslovic aswell ;)
IF I was Carolina, I would say no

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If Laine is a superstar nhl is in trouble..not even a top 50 player in Nhl

I guarantee Laine would explode in Carolina after getting loose of the idiot Paul Maurice.

Not to mention rekindling his connection with Aho.

Svechnikov - Aho - Laine is a powerhouse line.
Neiderreiter - Trochek - Teuvo behind it and slotting Fast into a 3rd line role.

And the D is still relatively fine with Fleury slotting up and giving you space for Bean.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I like it for both sides...

Laine would excel in Carolina... I know Laine is a great young player, but I'd be terrified giving the contract he will be getting next time he has to sign. It will be grossly big for a very one dimensional player.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
If I was Carolina, I'd say later Pesce and Necas.
Me too, Laine already had chemistry with Aho in the WJC when they won gold on home soil, that chemistry would explode. I think it would be a close trade with a small margin winner might even be Carolina here. Like one previous poster said people are way too stuck in that old Fortnite meme image of Laine, he was a solid PPG forward last season who took massive steps forward in his overall game.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Me too, Laine already had chemistry with Aho in the WJC when they won gold on home soil, that chemistry would explode. I think it would be a close trade with a small margin winner might even be Carolina here. Like one previous poster said people are way too stuck in that old Fortnite meme image of Laine, he was a solid PPG forward last season who took massive steps forward in his overall game.

I think people are also too stuck on Pesce's numbers.

Reactions: Huffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad