Finland
Canes trying to become Finland east?
Finland west* wtf I was supposed to type that in the first place

Reactions: BHD

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I like it for both sides...

Laine would excel in Carolina... I know Laine is a great young player, but I'd be terrified giving the contract he will be getting next time he has to sign. It will be grossly big for a very one dimensional player.
He's not that one dimensional anymore, he was a physical force and a good backchecker too last season, he improved in so many areas after his 30 goal downyear.

Reactions: Heldig and BHD

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's not that one dimensional anymore, he was a physical force and a good backchecker too last season, he improved in so many areas after his 30 goal downyear.

Even if he is one dimensional. Carolina needs cheap goals. Laine provides it. Carolina has the forward system and D prospects to easily eat losing Pesce and while Necas has been good, I don't really see the huge loss of him if they are adding Laine to Tuevo on the RH side.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Even if he is one dimensional. Carolina needs cheap goals. Laine provides it. Carolina has the forward system and D prospects to easily eat losing Pesce and while Necas has been good, I don't really see the huge loss of him if they are adding Laine to Tuevo on the RH side.
Carolina should just go for it, imagine all the media and hysteria if it happened.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The issue, beyond value, is how do make the cap work long-term with a Svechnikov extension looming? Keep in mind that a $4.025 mil 2nd pair anchor and a potential 2C on a 2nd contract (in a few years) would be stripped from the roster in the process.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The issue, beyond value, is how do make the cap work long-term with a Svechnikov extension looming? Keep in mind that a $4.025 mil 2nd pair anchor and a potential 2C on a 2nd contract (in a few years) would be stripped from the roster in the process.

I think you just bite the bullet and hope you win.

Aho already signed an offer sheet. Why risk losing your best chance at a window and bringing in a player that potentially binds Aho to staying with your franchise?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
carolina fan with a dissenting opinion, if you can get this deal you ask them to add roslovic and you try to make it work. i think laine would be logically capped at aho's hit on an extension and we have an absolute glut of his countrymen that would bring out an inspired version of laine. aho is one of the best young leaders in finnish hockey and has an aura around him like a saku koivu. his hockey mind is incredible and if there are any peers that laine would step up his game for, it's probably barkov and aho. the team that gets the best player in the trade usually wins it and laine is the best player in the deal. teuvo - aho - laine would be almost indefensible and you still have svechnikov to do the heavy lifting on the second line.

the thing about this that needs to be considered as well is that carolina has a LOT of players in terms of prospects on entry level deals that could realistically challenge for nhl time as soon as this season. jack drury is having a hell of a year in sweden. seth jarvis would probably do well on a bottom six role to work him in. jameison rees, ryan suzuki, morgan geekie.... there's just a lot of them. losing necas would obviously suck super hard, but it's not like you're emptying the farm to make this move. pesce would be near on impossible to replace, but in my opinion the defense could survive it. maybe you could even get something out of roslovic. there's options.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Laine is tricky.

He's only 22. At his age - MacKinnon was still a ~50 point player, and look how he exploded. And unlike Mackinnon - Laine did even better early on.

Matthews has been great since day 1 - but Laine was always seen/talked as the better goal-scorer, if Matthews better overall.

I'm not saying Laine ends up being better than Mack or Matthews - I'm just pointing out that he's still young, has done great so far for his age, and his potential is still tremendous. I know there are risks - but a team acquiring him likely has to pay high and hope for the best, which may or may not happen

Matthews and Laine were from the same draft bud, save the "hes so young" when comparing to AM34. You can talk about Laine being the better goal scorer however try looking at the stats. AM34 has separated himself from Laine by a large margin, even 29s biggest fans on HF can finally admit it (that includes goal scoring). There's levels, Laine isn't on Matthews.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think you just bite the bullet and hope you win.

Aho already signed an offer sheet. Why risk losing your best chance at a window and bringing in a player that potentially binds Aho to staying with your franchise?

A Skjei - Fleury 2nd pairing doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, if the goal here is to win.

As far as Aho goes, if Carolina tries to squeeze him again 4 years from now, Laine's presence probably isn't going to make a difference.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Jets get a 2c(MAYBE 1c but probably not) and a #3/4 defender and Canes get a guy who is good for 30+ goals(probably tops out at a 50ish goal season) . This is still in Canes favor, but not the right move for them to do. 1 star(superstar?) player will always be worth 2 good(not quite elite) players.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
I guarantee Laine would explode in Carolina after getting loose of the idiot Paul Maurice.

Not to mention rekindling his connection with Aho.

Svechnikov - Aho - Laine is a powerhouse line.
Neiderreiter - Trochek - Teuvo behind it and slotting Fast into a 3rd line role.

And the D is still relatively fine with Fleury slotting up and giving you space for Bean.

Always an excuse for Laine, the coach, the captain, the center, the owner, the gm. Its getting tiresome, obviously those 70g seasons aren't happening. Laine isn't even close to the best of his draft year let alone generational at anything.

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
Matthews and Laine were from the same draft bud, save the "hes so young" when comparing to AM34. You can talk about Laine being the better goal scorer however try looking at the stats. AM34 has separated himself from Laine by a large margin, even 29s biggest fans on HF can finally admit it (that includes goal scoring). There's levels, Laine isn't on Matthews.
But would there be even discussions of trading Matthews for Necas and Pesce? Why have to compare Laine and Matthews if we think about what Laine is capable of or what he could bring to Hurricanes?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
A Skjei - Fleury 2nd pairing doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, if the goal here is to win.

As far as Aho goes, if Carolina tries to squeeze him again 4 years from now, Laine's presence probably isn't going to make a difference.

You can always split up Slavin and Hamilton.

I just don't see enough game breakers up front after Svech and Aho to win four series.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
But would there be even discussions of trading Matthews for Necas and Pesce? Why have to compare Laine and Matthews if we think about what Laine is capable of or what he could bring to Hurricanes?

Re-read the post i replied to, bud there were comparisons. Regardless of your nationality, love for Laine, your thoughts on his "potential" AM34 has significantly more value then Laine. Yes AM34 takes the 1st line Center spot from Aho if he was traded to Car.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Top 3 RD locked up for another 4 years @ $4.025 mil, capable of 25-30pts

Top 6 player at 863k for 2 more years (likely gets around 4-5 mil on next deal, capable of 20ish goals and 50-60pts

Vs

Top line RW making 9 mil or more soon, capable of 35-40 goals and 70-80pts, maybe he can hit 90 once or twice if paired with Aho.

Basically getting two really good players vs one, next two years are cheaper than Laine is now and will be roughly the same cost or cheaper for 2 years after that.
Easy choice imo, Laine is good but he's not a top 3 D + 2nd line winger good right now

Plus CAR already has a top line wing in Svech
I get your point, but why are Pesce and Necas capable of new career highs, while Laine is only capable of 35-40 goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad