Rumor: Hurricanes interested in Laine, Jets want Pesce and Necas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Re-read the post i replied to, bud there were comparisons. Regardless of your nationality, love for Laine, your thoughts on his "potential" AM34 has significantly more value then Laine. Yes AM34 takes the 1st line Center spot from Aho if he was traded to Car.

If Carolina can get AM34 for Pesce and Necas they should do it as well.

Reactions: Nedarb

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Matthews and Laine were from the same draft bud, save the "hes so young" when comparing to AM34. You can talk about Laine being the better goal scorer however try looking at the stats. AM34 has separated himself from Laine by a large margin, even 29s biggest fans on HF can finally admit it (that includes goal scoring). There's levels, Laine isn't on Matthews.
The guy even said he’s not saying Laine will be better than Matthews. Also never said Matthews wasn’t young. I don’t know how Laine hurt you but you need to get over it. This isn’t a Matthews thread.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'm on the Jets side with this. Jets loose this trade big time! I don't think the Jets management would do that trade

* Laine is Laine. One of the best shots in the game today and he is still trying to improve in the other parts of the game. Jets coaches have been working with him on that.

* Pesce is solid at the age of 26. Prime years and a rare RD on a value contract till age 30.

* Necas did well against the Rangers D in the play in round but I wouldn't be bragging about that cause the Rangers team D is not that good. Go look at how the Canes coaches used him against the Bruins. Ice time went down and down as each game went by and he finish on the 4th line RW. He turns 22 in a few days so we have to give him a bit of a break but I feel his value is being pumped up by the Canes. It's too difficult to project how good or bad he will be at this stage. Risky for the Jets IMO.

Jets regret this trade in 2 or 3 years time. Sorry Canes fans. It's how I feel about it. Maybe the Jets time is ticking down cause Laine needs a new contract after this season and they are worried about it so at some point, they have to make a decision. Pay him or trade him for the best return being offered.

Reactions: Huffer and Hiukafen

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You can always split up Slavin and Hamilton.

I just don't see enough game breakers up front after Svech and Aho to win four series.

Right now, I don't disagree. I don't put the Canes as an elite team yet. I think the potential is there, however. Teravainen has scored at a ~76 point per 82 game pace over the past 2 seasons. Necas' upside is not that of a ~46 point winger. The team has invested a lot of draft capital in forwards recently, most notably 1st round picks on Suzuki and Jarvis.

Laine at the expense of a couple of good, cost-efficient players throws a team that has the potential to be competitive at the highest level because of balance out of it.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
If there was no salary cap this trade would be fair. But because there is and Pesce and Necas are bargains while Laine is soon to be overpaid, this is an absolute joke of a trade proposal for the Canes. Of course management is balking at that price for Laine — it’s ridiculous.

Reactions: AD Skinner

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I get your point, but why are Pesce and Necas capable of new career highs, while Laine is only capable of 35-40 goals?

I said Laine could reach 70-80pts and possibly 90, that'd be a new career high.
Took his average of 37 over the course of his career in the 35-40 range, I get he had 44 the one year.
Re-arrange the numbers to 45-50 goals if you want but right now, it doesn't seem like he's trending up to that range with his goal totals.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Right now, I don't disagree. I don't put the Canes as an elite team yet. I think the potential is there, however. Teravainen has scored at a ~76 point per 82 game pace over the past 2 seasons. Necas' upside is not that of a ~46 point winger. The team has invested a lot of draft capital in forwards recently, most notably 1st round picks on Suzuki and Jarvis.

Laine at the expense of a couple of good, cost-efficient players throws a team that has the potential to be competitive at the highest level because of balance out of it.

Players like Laine are only available so often. If you can get him for your # 3 D and a top nine forward you do it. Once again, you need to compete while you have the window. Colorado is about to learn this if they don't win the cup this year.

I love Pesce and think very highly of Necas. Just Laine pushes you into contention status.

Last edited:

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
Re-read the post i replied to, bud there were comparisons. Regardless of your nationality, love for Laine, your thoughts on his "potential" AM34 has significantly more value then Laine. Yes AM34 takes the 1st line Center spot from Aho if he was traded to Car.
Of course he would be 1st center over Aho. I meant no one would trade Matthews for Pesce and Necas. That is why everyone knows this trade could even make sense with Laine.

I didn’t mean there were no comparisons. Just saying why to value Laine low by comparing him to best player from 16 draft when you could still realize he is a young player and he still has a lot of potential to improve I guess. Necas has drafted only one year later. Do you think Necas still have potential to develop or is he around 35 point/season player?

Reactions: Dache

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends on how highly you think of Necas. If he continues to improve, then how much are the Canes improving by adding Laine? Is it worth losing Necas and Pesce?

Continues to improve? Did anybody notice his usage against the Bruins in the playoffs? He turns 22 in a few days so we have to give him a bit of a break but he didn't trend well in the playoffs and that was a good test for him at age 21. He finished playing 4th line RW... not even 4th line Center.

Not saying he will bust but I do feel posters are not looking at context with Necas. If Necas was with the Leafs or Habs and trended like that, his value would be rag dolled on HF boards. I doubt posters outside of the Canes or Bruins watched him in the playoffs.

Too risky for the Jets IMO. I don't think the Jets make that trade but maybe they do because they are worried about how much they got to pay Laine after this next season. :dunno:

UMKEQe8.jpg

Reactions: Huffer and BHD

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'm not a Canes fan so I don't know the team, their needs, etc. as well as most obviously, but I don't see Laine as the piece that helps them take the next step.

But I am curious what Carolina fans think they do need to go deep into the playoffs, besides praying they avoid the Bruins? I see scoring depth (as in bottom 6), maybe more size on the blue line ...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Best player in the deal... Laine! Jets loose this trade unless Necas turns into a legit top 2C. He turns 22 in a few days. I think this is way more risky for the Jets than the Canes.

Reactions: Heldig and Huffer

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm not a Canes fan so I don't know the team, their needs, etc. as well as most obviously, but I don't see Laine as the piece that helps them take the next step.

But I am curious what Carolina fans think they do need to go deep into the playoffs, besides praying they avoid the Bruins? I see scoring depth (as in bottom 6), maybe more size on the blue line ...

The development of Necas to flesh out the forward lines. A two-wave attack of Aho and Teravainen followed by Svechnikov and Necas is the type of balance needed to compete offensively at the highest level. The defense is built properly; Hamilton needs to be re-signed.

On the acquisition front, a physical presence or at least worker bee type that can chip in 20-25 goals next to the Finns is the biggest need, beyond a long-term solution in net, of course.

Reactions: BHD

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I said Laine could reach 70-80pts and possibly 90, that'd be a new career high.
Took his average of 37 over the course of his career in the 35-40 range, I get he had 44 the one year.
Re-arrange the numbers to 45-50 goals if you want but right now, it doesn't seem like he's trending up to that range with his goal totals.
Trending and capable are very different things. And that valuation changes wildly if you change 35-40 to 45-50

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Continues to improve? Did anybody notice his usage against the Bruins in the playoffs? He turns 22 in a few days so we have to give him a bit of a break but he didn't trend well in the playoffs and that was a good test for him at age 21. He finished playing 4th line RW... not even 4th line Center.

Not saying he will bust but I do feel posters are not looking at context with Necas. If Necas was with the Leafs or Habs and trended like that, his value would be rag dolled on HF boards. I doubt posters outside of the Canes or Bruins watched him in the playoffs.

Too risky for the Jets IMO. I don't think the Jets make that trade but maybe they do because they are worried about how much they got to pay Laine after this next season. :dunno:

UMKEQe8.jpg

What I meant was... if Necas improves, or becomes the player that some people believe he can, then landing Laine might not be a priority.

Yes, it was a tale of two seasons for him. The first half where he was creating chances and finishing off plays, and then the latter half where - as you pointed out - he struggled to say the least. He can be a top six winger. I don't see him ever lightning the lamp like Laine, but he can be a dynamic player.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Players like Laine are only available so often. If you can get him for your # 3 D and a top nine forward you do it. Once again, you need to compete while you have the window. Colorado is about to learn this if they don't win the cup this year.

I love Pesce and think very highly of Necas. Just Laine pushes you into contention status.

The results Toronto has gotten from that same prioritization of high-end skill approach have been less than impressive thus far.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Tough one. Rod loves Pesce. Losing him significantly weakens the Canes D.
Yes, the Canes need more scoring, but that doesn't work if you are also letting up more goals.
Maybe Rod can get Laine playing a more complete game, but I wouldn't be too quick to determine a winner in this trade.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
The guy even said he’s not saying Laine will be better than Matthews. Also never said Matthews wasn’t young. I don’t know how Laine hurt you but you need to get over it. This isn’t a Matthews thread.

Suspected I'd see you sooner then later. Its hard when your hero isn't quite what you thought he was and too top it off hes not even the best goalscorer from his draft. I'm also disappointed Laine hasn't had a few 60g seasons yet.[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The results Toronto has gotten from that same prioritization of high-end skill approach have been less than impressive thus far.

Bad comparison. Toronto would be in a much different place with one of Hamilton or Slavin. Let alone both of them.

Also, PIT, WAS, and TAMPA seem to have done fine over the last few years paying their elite talent.

The biggest issue would be Carolina still has no goaltender.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Slavin (6'3", 207 lbs) - Hamilton (6'6", 230 lbs)
Skjei (6'3", 210 lbs) - Pesce (6'3", 206 lbs)
Gardiner (6'2", 203 lbs) - Fleury (6'3", 208 lbs)

Size isn't really a need on the blueline.

The Canes Cup window opens up this or next year and will last at least through Aho's contract (4 years). During this time the Canes should get scoring depth contributions from a couple of Seth Jarvis, Dominik Bokk, Ryan Suzuki, Jamieson Rees, Noel Gunler, Patrik Puistola, Vasili Ponomarev, etc.

The Canes need a goalie most of all. Mrazek/Reimer are UFAs this offseason. Nobody in the pipeline screams NHL 1A. They could really use a high-level stopgap like Kuemper.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Slavin (6'3", 207 lbs) - Hamilton (6'6", 230 lbs)
Skjei (6'3", 210 lbs) - Pesce (6'3", 206 lbs)
Gardiner (6'2", 203 lbs) - Fleury (6'3", 208 lbs)

Size isn't really a need on the blueline.

The Canes Cup window opens up this or next year and will last at least through Aho's contract (4 years). During this time the Canes should get scoring depth contributions from a couple of Seth Jarvis, Dominik Bokk, Ryan Suzuki, Jamieson Rees, Noel Gunler, Patrik Puistola, Vasili Ponomarev, etc.

The Canes need a goalie most of all. Mrazek/Reimer are UFAs this offseason. Nobody in the pipeline screams NHL 1A. They could really use a high-level stopgap like Kuemper.

Why is why I think you argue they can afford to lose Pesce and Necas for a legitimate game breaker and then slowly move out older less effective forward depth and plug and play if they can keep together the elite three of Svech, Aho and Laine.

This and a move like Kuemper would make them a favorite for the cup in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad