Rumor: Hurricanes interested in Laine, Jets want Pesce and Necas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Please. This would be a terrible deal for the Jets. Necas will never be what Laine is offensively. Pesce is 26. He's not going to make the difference in the Jets winning a cup.
Agreed. Need at least one more good asset coming to the Jets IMO. Suzuki? Jarvis? Bean?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Please. This would be a terrible deal for the Jets. Necas will never be what Laine is offensively. Pesce is 26. He's not going to make the difference in the Jets winning a cup.
Necas could easily eventually have like 80-90% percent of his production (total production, not just goals) and never get even half as much credit because he plays for the Canes, wasn't drafted as high and just doesn't have the hype. As for Pesce being 26, lol... yeah really over the hill now. And the Canes certainly missed Pesce in the playoffs vs. Boston.

Agreed. Need at least one more good asset coming to the Jets IMO. Suzuki? Jarvis? Bean?
Considering the Canes aren't going to pay Pesce and Necas, I don't think it matters. We're happy to let Winnipeg pay Laine 70-80 million dollars next year which is pocket change for their owner.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I wouldn't trade Aho for Laine(If I'm CAR), but they are closer than you think:

16-17
Laine 73gp 36g 64pts
Aho 82gp 24g 49pts

17-18
Laine 82gp 44g 70pts
Aho 78gp 29g 65pts

18-19
Laine 82gp 30g 50pts
Aho 82gp 30g 83pts

19-20
Laine 68gp 28g 63pts
Aho 68gp 38g 66pts

They are close in production only. Aho is also a leader, a full 200 foot center, and signed to a reasonable (thank you MB) contract. Laine is a prima donna winger who has suspect play in his own end and is likely to be pushing for a contract he can compare to Matthews’.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
They are close in production only. Aho is also a leader, a full 200 foot center, and signed to a reasonable (thank you MB) contract. Laine is a prima donna winger who has suspect play in his own end and is likely to be pushing for a contract he can compare to Matthews’.
You had me in full agreement for the first part. Aho is more valuable the last few years and I think he’s on a steal of a deal. Then you start flinging random insults and losing credibility, all players want to play with the best players on the team Laine is doing and saying nothing out of the ordinary. Suspect play in his own end is also a fair exaggeration and thank goodness we’re back to the unfounded reports that Laine is asking for 11+ mil a year. I’m not sure why people on here start posts with clear proper opinions and then throw them down the drain

Reactions: Snowman

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
You had me in full agreement for the first part. Aho is more valuable the last few years and I think he’s on a steal of a deal. Then you start flinging random insults and losing credibility, all players want to play with the best players on the team Laine is doing and saying nothing out of the ordinary. Suspect play in his own end is also a fair exaggeration and thank goodness we’re back to the unfounded reports that Laine is asking for 11+ mil a year. I’m not sure why people on here start posts with clear proper opinions and then throw them down the drain
Of course they do. However, not all players complain to the press about it and ask their agent to trade them when they don’t get their way.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I can see why pesce would be a stumbling block on this. Forget offensive numbers, this guy can play DEFENCE. While Carolina does have an above average pipeline of defenceman to step in, none are as good as pesce is right now. It's a gamble to project that the goals for in adding laine would exceed the goals against suppressed by pesce. If I'm Carolina though, given their solid team defence and given they still have 2 studs that can anchor pairings in Hamilton and slavin... I'd probably take the gamble. Not to discount necas, as he's a high ceiling player, he just isn't going to be a dynamic goalscorer in the mold of laine.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Of course they do. However, not all players complain to the press about it and ask their agent to trade them when they don’t get their way.
Source? When did he complain to the media? You guys sure like to overblow anything at all hey?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Gotta be a reason all these people think Laine sucks, but will have a 10 million contract. Make up your mind! If he’s so bad why in hell would he be worth so much money?
Never mind the poster that said 8.4m is an overpay but also that it’s not ridiculous for Laine to ask for 11m.

Reactions: wabagee

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
dont underestimate the value of ticket sales. A name like Laine can put asses in the seats
This has been an argument for all of my 15 years on HF and it’s nonsense. The only thing that puts asses in the seats is winning, which the Canes are starting to do. Laine on the team would have negligible impact on attendance.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I wouldn't trade Aho for Laine(If I'm CAR), but they are closer than you think:

16-17
Laine 73gp 36g 64pts
Aho 82gp 24g 49pts

17-18
Laine 82gp 44g 70pts
Aho 78gp 29g 65pts

18-19
Laine 82gp 30g 50pts
Aho 82gp 30g 83pts

19-20
Laine 68gp 28g 63pts
Aho 68gp 38g 66pts
Not really. The last 2 years, which is more relevant than 4 years ago, Aho has 68G, 149 points and Laine has 58G, 113 points. And Aho plays the more difficult and demanding position. That’s not really close.

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
This has been an argument for all of my 15 years on HF and it’s nonsense. The only thing that puts asses in the seats is winning, which the Canes are starting to do. Laine on the team would have negligible impact on attendance.
Every time Laine has the puck you can tell a difference in the anticipation of the crowd. He’s a game changer!

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Not really. The last 2 years, which is more relevant than 4 years ago, Aho has 68G, 149 points and Laine has 58G, 113 points. And Aho plays the more difficult and demanding position. That’s not really close.
So then just last year on its own would be the most relevant and it becomes closer again? Or is there a certain reason why you did 2 years?

Reactions: Nedarb

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I was actually sad when Perfetti fell as I knew that meant Jets couldn’t draft Seth Jarvis. I love his game and hope he comes back in the Laine deal if it happens.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Last time a one-dimensional young winger was traded it was Kessel. Like that trade, the team receiving the one-dimensional winger would quickly get buyer’s remorse.
That one dimensional winger won 2 cups playing a huge role in both. Kessel was far from one dimensional man was the perfect 3rd star on offense. His time in toronto sucked only due to bad management building a crapoy team besides him.

Kessel is an insane playoff performer crazy he ended up having more ling run success than the Bruins when they dealt him

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
So then just last year on its own would be the most relevant and it becomes closer again? Or is there a certain reason why you did 2 years?
I think it is because, like the Dubois comparisons, they want to make sure to include Laine's worst season in the comparison and throw away two of his best seasons to tilt the narrative towards their player and make it look closer than it actually is.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Fair enough. They were definitely closer last season. No argument. Still, He outscored Laine while playing a significantly demanding more position. He played in all situations, including penalty kill. His cf% was vastly superior to Laine. Etc.
Aho was still better than Laine last. All metrics indicate that.

Also, if you are going to object to me using 2 years of data, I assume you agree with me that using 3 and 4 years ago really isn’t relevant, right?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think it is because, like the Dubois comparisons, they want to make sure to include Laine's worst season in the comparison and throw away two of his best seasons to tilt the narrative towards their player and make it look closer than it actually is.
Lol. Some fan uses 4 years and you are silent. Use 2 years and you get all upset.

yes or no. Is Aho the superior player to Laine right now?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Fair enough. They were definitely closer last season. No argument. Still, He outscored Laine while playing a significantly demanding more position. He played in all situations, including penalty kill. His cf% was vastly superior to Laine. Etc.
Aho was still better than Laine last. All metrics indicate that.

Also, if you are going to object to me using 2 years of data, I assume you agree with me that using 3 and 4 years ago really isn’t relevant, right?
I don’t have an issue with using 4 years as it does show Laines whole career however you are right that it’s not the most currently relevant as Laine hasn’t been the same guy for a while now. So the one year is probably most accurate. And yes like I said earlier Aho has been better lately for sure. Never disputed that

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don’t have an issue with using 4 years as it does show Laines whole career however you are right that it’s not the most currently relevant as Laine hasn’t been the same guy for a while now. So the one year is probably most accurate. And yes like I said earlier Aho has been better lately for sure. Never disputed that
We agree. The rest is semantics.
I’m not dumping on Laine as I like him, although I don’t think Carolina ever trades for him. He’s a phenomenal goal scorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad