Pre-Game Talk: Hurricanes at Capitals, ECQF Game 1

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
OK, Ray Ratto's take here is actually pretty funny:

https://deadspin.com/a-cranky-and-wishful-preview-of-the-2019-stanley-cup-pl-1833887056

What the experts think will happen: Caps in five.

What will happen: Caps in six.

What should happen:
Canes in seven, doing an adaptation of The Red Wedding after winning to the angry howls of Caps fans still upset that general manager Brian MacLellan couldn’t find a way to keep Bryce Harper.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think we'll see that Ferland necessarily because I don't think it was just that it was the playoffs that he played like that. It was that it was the playoffs and he was a young player looking to make a name for himself. He's not at that point anymore. I don't think it's even self preservation for free agency or injury, just a different state of mind completely. Hopefully we'll see some uptick in intensity from him for the playoffs and some solid depth scoring. But I have to think that version of him is unrealistic.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I don't think we'll see that Ferland necessarily because I don't think it was just that it was the playoffs that he played like that. It was that it was the playoffs and he was a young player looking to make a name for himself. He's not at that point anymore. I don't think it's even self preservation for free agency or injury, just a different state of mind completely. Hopefully we'll see some uptick in intensity from him for the playoffs and some solid depth scoring. But I have to think that version of him is unrealistic.

If he doesn't play that way, he's costing himself millions of dollars, period.

If he won't play that way in the playoffs, when will he? Is he a Tom Wilson type player, or is he not?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If he doesn't play that way, he's costing himself millions of dollars, period.

If he won't play that way in the playoffs, when will he? Is he a Tom Wilson type player, or is he not?

Agreed. If he doesn’t play like that in the playoffs as a UFA he’s going to cost himself a ton of money. This isn’t a Kevin Hayes type who is getting what he’s getting regardless of his playoff run.

Ferland is a guy that GMs think you need to have one of to win in the playoffs. If the Canes get swept and he’s a ghost, he’s f***ed himself.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Agreed. If he doesn’t play like that in the playoffs as a UFA he’s going to cost himself a ton of money. This isn’t a Kevin Hayes type who is getting what he’s getting regardless of his playoff run.

Ferland is a guy that GMs think you need to have one of to win in the playoffs. If the Canes get swept and he’s a ghost, he’s ****ed himself.

Even more important since he’s no doubt hurt his value these past few weeks. Regardless of the reason for it he’s disappeared as the games got more and more important.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Use it in a sentence, and then translate that sentence to English. :)
I do admire it that you streer me in ...some direction, but let me not do it. This has been seen before, so I'll offer it in trade. It may have been a hero everyone expected, but it's real nice to have him. :)

Always editing because my fandom moves faster than my tiny brains. Maybe some day, I use it in a sentence, and then translate the sentence to English. But the I have to be drunk. I would like to be drunk, but not every day... I've heard it's not that safe in the long run? But who knows, haven't tested it. Still, there's a challenge that if I get bored, I might do... but I really have no clue if that thing will be approved by the Gods of HF Boards. Time will tell, but until then. Are we there yet and are we winning like I'd like to?!

Double edit for my anal (not the surinathingie) purposes, to think of it. Aho wasn't a center and with his drive he's one of the best in the position. Pure determination. Love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Even more important since he’s no doubt hurt his value these past few weeks. Regardless of the reason for it he’s disappeared as the games got more and more important.

Maybe it's a chemistry thing, maybe he's just going through a rough patch, but maybe he's playing a bit "banged up". I don't know. As others have said, he does nothing for his value to disappear even in the regular season much less the playoffs.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What is an "ass buzzer" and what does it do?
A "Russian ass buzzer", to be exact. And it's really about what it doesn't do: it 1) doesn't buzz and 2) doesn't fit in your ass.

Come to think of it, I have never heard of domestic or a general variety ass buzzer. I presume the Russians have the market cornered, like with the zinc buckets.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
We'll see what happens, but I'd be pretty surprised if we get a guy that was averaging like 6+ hits a game in that highlight and flying all over the place. Back then, he was a grinder period and looking to make a name for himself. It's not to say that he won't be physical at all, but he'll make his money because he's physical and can score. Not because he's running around like a madman hitting everything in sight. I'm not saying he won't be intense or physical, but I think anyone, GMs included, expecting that performance are not going to find it.

Reactions: DaveG

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I won't pretend to know what to expect from Ferland this series. He hasn't been completely invisible in his cold spell. There were times where he would throw his body around and make sneaky good offensive plays. But he hasn't been anywhere as noticeable or consistent as he was to start the season. I'm leaning towards him bringing it though. Wilson is going to be running around like he always does and eventually Ferland will pretty much have to respond.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
A "Russian ass buzzer", to be exact. And it's really about what it doesn't do: it 1) doesn't buzz and 2) doesn't fit in your ass.

Come to think of it, I have never heard of domestic or a general variety ass buzzer. I presume the Russians have the market cornered, like with the zinc buckets.
Quite a info baggage you got there my friend. I guess we're really important in the Caroline pages. Everyone learns something new every day. :P

Sorry mods in advance. Maybe there's a fan version for sleeping and your team scores...oh yeah, I have know idea how we got here. Have a good night or whatever you want to. I'm just here to yell good things, didn't think of... these things. :)

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Why am I always writing Caroline instead of Carolina? Is this gonna be a love story for me? I wouldn't mind a sweet beautiful Caroline. (yeah, full of hockey content... if she's a hockey fan!)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00