Pre-Game Talk: Hurricanes at Capitals, ECQF Game 1

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Maybe you haven't been exposed to people saying the Hurricanes should change their name. I have. I roll my eyes.

I have as well. Well not personally but I've seen it on Twitter and other media outlets.

I mean, we could have been the Ice Hogs :dunno: . Hell before the Wizards, the Bullets were considering the Sea Dogs as a name :huh: Maybe some things should be left alone.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
For better or worse, DC has been heavily gentrified. I have family that's lived here for over a decade and myself have lived here on and off for several years. The transformations of blocks from drug/prostitution hot spots to million dollar condos, luxury hotels, and cafes has been amazing to see. The only place still a bit untouched is SouthEast and I'm sure that's just a matter of time.

That's where I grew up, in fact. My mom was Anacostia High Class of 1967. We left in 1981 because it was just too rough.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I... I don’t know how to respond to this.

Wheres the retweet button.

Its funny moving from DC to LA. Crime is 1000x higher in DC but people ask me about “crime in Cali.”

It literally cracks me up. Compton would be a nice neighborhood in DC.

In DC breaking news is “quadruple homicide East of the River.” In LA, “extremely stoned dude racing down the freeway in South LA.”

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Wheres the retweet button.

Its funny moving from DC to LA. Crime is 1000x higher in DC but people ask me about “crime in Cali.”

It literally cracks me up. Compton would be a nice neighborhood in DC.

In DC breaking news is “quadruple homicide East of the River.” In LA, “extremely stoned dude racing down the freeway in South LA.”

Hey, at least it's not Baltimore.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Do you ever ride the X2? Heard so many stories about that bus.

It's a very busy bus route that goes through a mixture of neighborhoods and draws a lot of folks from the projects on H and mentally ill people from a shelter near Union Station, and attracts quite a lot of upper and middle class millennials living in the gentrified areas along the route to tweet about it. Crowding leads to confrontations as well. The times I've ridden it it's just been like any other crowded bus with an economically and racially diverse crowd.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Now, there's a long running thread on Nextdoor about where the best location for a dog park is.

Also, were you around the O street market shooting era? You'll laugh your ass off if you see what that (and the rest of Shaw) has become.

I met a tourist one time that was staying at an Air Bnb in trinidad and was asking me about the neighborhood.

He was from Arkansas and I was like dude wtf are you doing.

Ill never forget the time Trinidad had to be shutdown w police checkpoints because there were so many shootings.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Now, there's a long running thread on Nextdoor about where the best location for a dog park is.

Also, were you around the O street market shooting era? You'll laugh your ass off if you see what that (and the rest of Shaw) has become.

Nah, I was gone in 1981. Benning Road was getting to be gangland when I left. We lived right off Pennsylvania Avenue in a comparatively nice little patch -- they call it Dupont Park now, apparently. Basically, I was fine for 2-3 blocks in any direction, but beyond that, trouble.

I was also literally the only white kid I knew, LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad