Pre-Game Talk: Hurricanes at Capitals, ECQF Game 1

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Something the gives me hope going into this series is how much the playoffs are about intangibles. This group has character, determination, and the never say die attitude needed in the playoffs. Sure, Washington might win in the end because of better high end talent, more depth, general playoff experience, or a combination of it all. I am confident that our leadership from the top down will have these boys ready to fight come puck drop tomorrow, and will have us ready to respond if and most likely when we drop a game.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have little hope and I want to stay that way. And it’s not the same pessimism over the last ten years. It’s that if/when we lose I don’t want to have gone so far down the rabbit hole that I can’t appreciate this season. I’ll still cheer like crazy of course. But like the last three playoff series this team has played, we’re playing with house money.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

4WtKgch.jpg

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu

"DON'T YOU DARE CLOSE YOUR EYES" :laugh:

This along with Lempo's DUCKTALES reference ---of all things--lets me know i've found the right board :nod:

Something the gives me hope going into this series is how much the playoffs are about intangibles. This group has character, determination, and the never say die attitude needed in the playoffs. Sure, Washington might win in the end because of better high end talent, more depth, general playoff experience, or a combination of it all. I am confident that our leadership from the top down will have these boys ready to fight come puck drop tomorrow, and will have us ready to respond if and most likely when we drop a game.

Uhuh, Hockey is arguably one of the best (major) sports to be an underdog in. I'm content just being able to talk about playoff hockey, but I actually really do think we have a shot. I mean, I'm not betting money on us--I don't gamble anyway lol--but I wouldn't be at all shocked if we won.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
As a tennis player, I think I am insulted:huh:

Seriously, I can tell you from having visited a tennis blog exactly once, the hatred of Habs fans for Leafs fans in no greater than Nadal acolytes for Federer fanatics.
I don't know why, maybe I didn't hate the Finn/Swede battles so much because of I was friends with my tennis friends, broke barriers when it wasn't cool to be a nice person kinda (because of our history). And Swedish is still our second language, rare some to speak it or be good at it except those swedefinns. When the Finns lost and Swedish won against us some earlier years (in hockey champs) when I still had some promise. After the loss which we watched together, I asked my friend will he coming to tennis practise tomorrow. He didn't say a word. Not a word. I mean nothing. So I eventually left. And as I started tennis as a age of 6-7 years old, I've been the neutral thing in tennis.

It's just so weird to hate that much, though I've watched forums of tennis that like you mentioned... it's life or death for a fan with Nadal and Fed. I can see the sides, but.. man someone got issues for sakes of a sport.

Can't tell if it's empathy or what in me that broke the hatered barriers in the first place (now it doesn't matter, I know that here people are friends and open about it no matter what is the language), but still... it's a weird concept to hate the other team so much. I mean support your own, but so deep hate. It's weird for me.

TL;DR: (again) I know the concept of hating rivalries and someone in the way sort of speak, but I've never hated even the people that have beat me in some tennis finals, many many times. I'd take it's some cultural and age thing since my father (rip) hated swedes in Finland, when I was always trying to change his mind. (Why do I always write a novel for the simple things? I guess we never know, but maybe after Aho 6 point game in the playoff opener will tell the frogs for me what's in motion, can't be stopped).

Reactions: emptyNedder

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I have little hope and I want to stay that way. And it’s not the same pessimism over the last ten years. It’s that if/when we lose I don’t want to have gone so far down the rabbit hole that I can’t appreciate this season. I’ll still cheer like crazy of course. But like the last three playoff series this team has played, we’re playing with house money.
This is also where i’m at, to set the record clear. I can cheer comfortably during this series knowing that we’ve had an incredible year no matter how things go in the postseason, as well as knowing that this team seems pretty well set up to take multiple steps forward in the future, therefore the fact that we’re in the playoffs at this step in the process is a good sign.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Some good info here. Looks like we are a go for FSCR:

• Local broadcasters are allowed to broadcast any first-round games not airing on national network TV. That means that you’ll be able to hear the dulcet tones of John Forslund and Tripp Tracy for Games 1, 3, 4, 6 and 7 (and maybe Game 5 as well, depending). National cable broadcasts will not be blacked out, so you can watch on NBCSN, CNBC or wherever in addition to Fox Sports Carolinas within the Hurricanes’ TV market.
  • From the second round on, broadcasts are exclusive to national broadcasters. While John is likely to get additional NBC assignments in the second round and beyond, the Fox Sports Carolinas broadcasts will end at the conclusion of the first round regardless of whether the Canes advance.
  • All games after game 4 of each series are listed as TBA. The NHL will determine times and networks depending on what other series are still active. We’ll update the schedule as it changes, so bookmark this page and come back as the series get into the later games.
  • You can also subscribe to this calendar to put it on your mobile device, so you’ll have it easily available. Here’s the iCal address and here’s the HTML address. If you’re loading onto an Apple device, iCal is the way to go. Otherwise, head for the HTML link.
  • If you subscribed last year, this is the same calendar (just with updated information), so you will not need to resubscribe - it will show up automatically.
  • Whenever possible, NBCSN will have doubleheaders almost every night. (If we get to a stage where the only teams on a night’s schedule are in the Eastern Conference, they won’t be able to do this.) Other games in the first round will air mostly on USA and CNBC, with a few weekend games on NBC and Game 1 of the Blues/Jets series on NHL Network.
  • Both Saturdays will feature an NBC network doubleheader. This Saturday, April 13, we’ll see Canes/Capitals at 3 and Bruins/Maple Leafs at 8. The following Saturday, it’s anyone’s guess, although one would think that a potential Penguins/Islanders Game 6 will likely be one of the two games (and Canes/Caps Game 5 could easily be the other).
  • Who will be calling Game 1 of each series? Glad you asked:
A1186E2B_8F19_4EFB_8136_C11F400D3E42.jpeg

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm gonna go to the Ale House thing tomorrow downtown. Apparently they are blocking off the street and projecting the game on the wall. Sounds cool to me.

I'd prefer to hang out in North Hills so I could walk to it but I don't want to be the only f***er in a Canes sweater yelling at the TV in World of Beers.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad