OT: Hurricane Fiona

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Stay safe in the Maritimes! You guys are tough, so actually... enjoy the breeze! I hope there won't be too much damage and erosion caused by Fiona.

Wow, that is also one of my big interests! Even got to work/study in the field for a short bit.

As the others said, well...

I don't want to derail this thread to talk too much about another storm, but Tropical Depression Nine is expected to be a hurricane by the time it gets to... Havana and Varadero... on Monday night. Yeah lol. But that can really really change before then, just take some precautions and keep an eye on the storm track. Anyway, don't panic, Cuba is like the Maritimes: they've seen their fair share of storms and are not too worried about some wind (depending where you go). It may just complicate things a bit though...
Weird fact about that storm: TD-9 is currently forecasted to make landfall as a major hurricane visiting Tampa Bay Wednesday night. What else is happening Wednesday night?
What are the odds...
Cheers Dave. As long as we get off the plane in Cuba, all will be good.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Here in my neck of the woods the damage is bad, trees down across power lines, houses and cars. Roofs ripped off, fences and other structures destroyed. It’s the worst I have ever seen here. I lost a few shingles from a shed and a few garbage cans tossed around, I was lucky but others not so much. Power restoration is projected to be Tuesday-Wednesday.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Somehow never lost power the entire time. Doesn't seem to be any major damage around me thankfully, a few branches down but they're not very big and it doesn't look like they hit anything.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Here in my neck of the woods the damage is bad, trees down across power lines, houses and cars. Roofs ripped off, fences and other structures destroyed. It’s the worst I have ever seen here. I lost a few shingles from a shed and a few garbage cans tossed around, I was lucky but others not so much. Power restoration is projected to be Tuesday-Wednesday.
Cape Breton ?

Not that bad here in my area of Halifax.

I was up a good amount in the night listening to it and going out a few times onto the porch.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Material items can be replaced. Just glad to hear that you're doing well. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for power to be restored.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Material items can be replaced. Just glad to hear that you're doing well. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for power to be restored.
It’s bad man, there are trees down everywhere, I saw portions of roofs ripped off. A state of emergency will be declared. Wind gusts must have been in the 140-150 range.

Cape Breton ?

Not that bad here in my area of Halifax.

I was up a good amount in the night listening to it and going out a few times onto the porch.
Antigonish actually, we got hit hard as did Guysborough, Canso and Cape Breton Island. It’s the biggest storm I have ever been through.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Very sad seeing all the pictures and video today of the complete destruction caused by this storm for so many people.

We had quite a bit of storm damage here in my little town as well mostly to property close to the ocean due to the very high tide and huge storm surge that took out a few fishing stages and personal wharves. Some of the fishing stages fell into the sea while others were removed from their foundations from the huge crashing waves and shifted onto the nearby land so hopefully they can be saved.

The community floating dock where many moored their boats also got severely damaged with many boats still tied to it but has of right now all the boats seem to be fine. The wind as shifted to the SW and it's blowing quite hard still so hopefully they can rescue the remaining boats soon. My boat wasn't tied there and made it through just fine.

As for the huge seas today I don't recall ever seeing seas as large as what I've been seeing here today. It's unreal the size of some of these waves.

Even though we received a fair amount of damage it's no where near the amount of damage caused by this storm in the Port Aux Basques and surrounding area of the province. So very sad to see houses there completely destroyed and swept into the sea as well as the complete destruction of many fishing stages and other personal property as well.

Stay safe everyone.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It’s bad man, there are trees down everywhere, I saw portions of roofs ripped off. A state of emergency will be declared. Wind gusts must have been in the 140-150 range.

Antigonish actually, we got hit hard as did Guysborough, Canso and Cape Breton Island. It’s the biggest storm I have ever been through.
Sorry to hear.

Just came in from the post hurricane drive and yeah, a good amount of damage.

I was here for Juan, and nothing compares to that for me. I saw the transformer explode a beautiful blue and take out the power. I woke up when a tree hit my house. I watched this other tree go back and forth , back and forth etc, then all the way forth , lol ,as it took hit my garage.

Unlike today, where it is freezing outside, at 300 am ( pretty sure that was the time but could be wrong ) after Juan, it was so humid.

The two biggest things were I remember looking far down the street and seeing emergency lights flashing for so long, was odd. Then I found out what I was watching were lights at where the paramedic was crushed to death in his ambulance. The other was I went out for a drive real early, and when I headed back I screeched to a stop because I thought I caught a power line as my car shuddered. That wasn't it. A large tree came down and just missed me , split second and that would have been it.

Juan was real bad. I hope no lives lost this time.

Reactions: OldCraig71

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Power won’t be restored in this area until the middle of next week. I haven’t seen anything like this before, so much damage everywhere.
I hope you and everyone else can get their power restored ASAP.

Yeah this is the worst I've ever seen things around where I live in NL as well. We've had storm surge damage during other storms before but nothing like this that I can recall.

I can barely see out my window from all the salt spray blowing in from the ocean but some of the waves I've been watching build up and then breaking on the shoreline is quite jaw dropping.

We currently have more wind right now than we had last night and this morning and with such ridiculously high waves and huge storm surges I'm concerned about possible further damages when the tide is at it's highest again tonight around 9pm or so. Such crazy crazy weather.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I hope you and everyone else can get their power restored ASAP.

Yeah this is the worst I've ever seen things around where I live in NL as well. We've had storm surge damage during other storms before but nothing like this that I can recall.

I can barely see out my window from all the salt spray blowing in from the ocean but some of the waves I've been watching build up and then breaking on the shoreline is quite jaw dropping.

We currently have more wind right now than we had last night and this morning and with such ridiculously high waves and huge storm surges I'm concerned about possible further damages when the tide is at it's highest again tonight around 9pm or so. Such crazy crazy weather.
Oh wow man! I know that the last thing you would want to do is leave your house but please don’t take any chances. I have seen some footage from PAB, it happens quickly, the ocean is powerful. Stay safe and keep posting, I want to know that you are okay.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Oh wow man! I know that the last thing you would want to do is leave your house but please don’t take any chances. I have seen some footage from PAB, it happens quickly, the ocean is powerful. Stay safe and keep posting, I want to know that you are okay.
No worries. I'm a safe distance from the water so I'm in no danger from the crashing waves and storm surges.

As far as I know there hasn't been any damage to anyone's house here and the majority of the damage has been to fishing stages, smaller personal wharves and the towns floating dock plus some other areas that were closer to the water.

It's still quite windy here but hopefully there's no further damage later tonight when the tide is at it's highest again and hopefully the worst is over but it was very wild there for a few hours with some crazy high storm surges along with some huge crashing waves battering our shoreline.

Yeah it's a very sad sight seeing all the pictures and video of the destruction in the PAB and surrounding area and all the other areas of Atlantic Canada affected by this storm.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
In the city things are not so bad and power did not go out however I took a drive to the coast where I grew up and it was the worst I ever saw...and this was not our first storm. Power out in all coastal southeast NB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad