OT: Hurricane Fiona

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Youre missing a B'y in that quote, idk where but somewhere.
:laugh:

This is 100% accurate. :)
main-qimg-362cd5211a8365d7bdec9dfd33e7e328.webp

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Have you ever been screeched in by any chance? "How can ya do ar ting when ya got nar ting to do ar ting wit". I have performed quite a few of those "ceremonies" lol. I can't believe that I am just finding this out right now after all of my years here. My moms side of the family comes from St Lunaire Griquet which is referred to as the french shore in northern NFLD.
Haha...no but I think I'll have to add that to my bucket list.

My relatives are more spread out. Some in Corner Brook, St.John's and St.Albans. Our family reunions are mostly in St.John's when in NFLD. Temiscaming when in Quebec or Toronto when in Ontario.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Wow 26 kids. That is a very huge family.

Makes me think of this meme I saw a little while ago. :)

View attachment 587606
Haha, that could totally be my Dad's family. The oldest now is I believe 85 and the youngest is close to 50. She started having kids at like 20 and I believe the last kid was when she was close to 60. They lived in a one room cabin. With the big age differences. I'm told there was no more than 10 kids plus my grandparents, living there at one time.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Wow, my dad is from a family of eleven and the familly is already out of hand, 26 is crazy
Out of the family. My father had the least amount of kids (4). The oldest child in my Dad's family had 14. The average is around 7 or 8. So for our family reunions, when you include their spouses, kids, grandkids. The totals are mind blowing. My NFLD relatives are all in-laws. As it was common for my Dad's brothers and sisters to hook up with east coasters lol

It's funny with the elders. You can easily tell the difference between who's French and who isn't. The French are all short, while the ones from NFLD are much taller.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Couldve been solved by early an early dyke and probably would've cost the same as moving the house (I don't know anything about the cost of moving a house, but I know about dykes (lol))

Welcome to global warming, those category 3 or higher are soon going to be 4-5s :/

We had a couple of 4-5 in the last years, This is year has been terribly underwhelming, it's the first one to make landfall but I have to admit, it is extremely rare to see a 3+ hit in that region.

Reactions: DavePeak

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I know we have some east coasters here, just want to say hope everyone stays safe. Hope that it doesn't cause too much damage

Here is the latest track from a couple of hours ago.

Thanks, little worried what damage is going to be done, my mom and a lot of my family and friends have to batten down the hatches in Cape Breton, they are going to get a direct hit.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Thanks, little worried what damage is going to be done, my mom and a lot of my family and friends have to batten down the hatches in Cape Breton, they are going to get a direct hit.
Hope everyone is able stay safe. My roots are from the Maritimes with having family in all 3 different provinces. I go back once or twice a year for a visit. My thoughts are with everyone over the next couple days. Maritimers are tough people and just need some good food, drinks and people to ride it out.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Have you ever been screeched in by any chance? "How can ya do ar ting when ya got nar ting to do ar ting wit". I have performed quite a few of those "ceremonies" lol. I can't believe that I am just finding this out right now after all of my years here. My moms side of the family comes from St Lunaire Griquet which is referred to as the french shore in northern NFLD.
St-Lunaire Griquet... been there. I love Newfoundland, did two road trips there, maybe the nicest province and people!

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Saint John, NB here. We are not supposed to be hit too hard, but there is a storm warning in effect. 60-90km winds. My house is surrounded by birch trees. It always makes me nervous in extreme weather.

Best wishes to those in NS/NL expected to take the worst of this.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Thanks and we're hoping for the best. As far as I know I have everything secure that I think could blow around and even stuff that likely wouldn't have just to be sure.

Checked for any damage to the mooring ropes for the boat this morning and the battery level, which is good, and checked the automatic bilge pump, which is working, so that should hopefully keep the water out of her from the heavy rain.

We do have a generator for some back up power just in case but we rarely lose power from heavy wind storms and hopefully it's the case again this time. It really helps that we don't have any big trees around here that could potentially fall while taking power lines down with them. Getting storms with upwards of 130 km/h isn't really that uncommon around these parts in the past few years it seems.

The high tides and potentially high storm surge levels with this storm is what's concerning me the most since it can potentially cause damage to people's property like their personal boat wharves and storage sheds near the waters edge. We're just outside of the path and the latest forecast as us receiving 9-12 meter waves tomorrow morning (up to 14 meter for Cape Breton areas).

Everyone in my town seems to be prepared for this storm as much as they can be. I'm just gonna stay inside and ride this storm out while only looking out at it and just hope for the best at this point.
We are hoping for the best for you and your neighbours!!!

Keep us posted!!!

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
We are hoping for the best for you and your neighbours!!!

Keep us posted!!!
Thanks and well do but hopefully we'll be fine.

However I just watched the latest forecast from a local meteorologist and it now seems that the track might be shifting a little more east so that might result in a bit of a more direct hit than they were saying earlier today and maybe even worse conditions for us unfortunately.

Anyway we all seem to be prepared as best as we can be and at this point we're just gonna have to hope for the best and take it as it comes now. :(

All that looks rather ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad