OT: Hurricane Fiona

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Stay safe in the Maritimes! You guys are tough, so actually... enjoy the breeze! I hope there won't be too much damage and erosion caused by Fiona.
One of my crazy interest in life are Hurricanes (well, every kind of wrath from mother nature from earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes, viruses etc.)
Wow, that is also one of my big interests! Even got to work/study in the field for a short bit.
Close call. We fly to Cuba on Monday......
As the others said, well...

I don't want to derail this thread to talk too much about another storm, but Tropical Depression Nine is expected to be a hurricane by the time it gets to... Havana and Varadero... on Monday night. Yeah lol. But that can really really change before then, just take some precautions and keep an eye on the storm track. Anyway, don't panic, Cuba is like the Maritimes: they've seen their fair share of storms and are not too worried about some wind (depending where you go). It may just complicate things a bit though...
nhc.png
Weird fact about that storm: TD-9 is currently forecasted to make landfall as a major hurricane visiting Tampa Bay Wednesday night. What else is happening Wednesday night?
hurricaneslightning.png
What are the odds...

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Just got a phone call from my friends who took a flight home earlier today from NB. The flight went well and they're now home relaxing. I asked how the atmosphere was there. They said the people there are calm and well organized. Even though we were leaving, I found they were more concerned about us. Then they were about themselves.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Right now there are 100k in NS without power and Fiona hasn't even hit land yet (this is at 11:20 Atlantic Time). There are power companies in NS from NB, Que and Maine.

Reactions: jj cale

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Right now there are 100k in NS without power and Fiona hasn't even hit land yet (this is at 11:20 Atlantic Time). There are power companies in NS from NB, Que and Maine.

3 flickers so far.. I know it's not much longer now.

That said the winds are gusting pretty good, so no surprise.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The wind as started to ramp up here within the past hour so it looks like Fiona as started knocking at our door here in NL as well so here we go. It's not gonna be a fun next 24 hours or so but hoping for the best for all affected by this crazy storm.

Stay safe everyone.

Edit: The rain as just started here now as well.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
No power here for the last 2 hours, heavy wind and rain. It is definitely a big storm.
Power went off twice and bounced back. Won't be long now
The main thing is for you, your family and friends to be safe throughout the night. To get your power back and hope their is enough power crews to get it back to you fairly shortly.

Last edited:

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
NS power pulled all crews once the winds reached 80kms/hr. We won’t likely see power till sometime Saturday. Thanks for the kind words.
I do know power crews came from Que, NB and Maine so hope it won't take too long for it to be restored after the storm passes. I grew up in NB so I'm thinking about my Maritime family at this time.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Wind speed diminished to 45 gusting to 70 rn. @sheed36 whats it doing in your neck of the woods?
Oof. 70 knot winds is not good but hopefully that was the peak winds for you guys over there and it starts improving. It's not too bad here yet but the wind is still increasing but no where near the amount of wind you currently have there.

I'd say we maybe have about 30-35 knot winds currently but where I am I get a bit of a break when the winds blow from the SE so it's hard to really tell the actual amount of wind but it isn't too serious yet but it'll likely get much worse later into the morning. We are currently getting some pretty heavy rain at times.

Stay safe and hopefully the worst is over for you..

Edit: I just checked a nearby weather station and there's more wind than I thought there was. I'm not hearing a huge amount of wind here due to my location and the surrounding hills sheltering me a bit but we did hit a gust of 105 km/h about an hour ago and right now we have around 75 km/h gusting to about 90 km/h.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad