OT: Hurricane Fiona

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Yeah it looks like we're in for a terrible weather day on Saturday and into Sunday.

A couple of days ago the track was forecast to pass directly over where I am in NL but it as since moved more towards the west over Cape Breton. We're still forecast to receive upwards of 130 km/h winds and between 50-100mm of rain with potentially very high storm surges causing possible coastal flooding so this could possibly still get ugly for us.

Gonna tie everything down or take inside anything that can potentially blow around tomorrow. The only thing I'll have to worry about is the boat we'll still have on the water but with the forecast wind direction with this storm it's pretty sheltered from the wind. I'm a bit concerned about the potentially high tides and potential high storm surge but the boat should be fine where it's moored.

Stay safe everyone.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yeah it looks like we're in for a terrible weather day on Saturday and into Sunday.

A couple of days ago the track was forecast to pass directly over where I am in NL but it as since moved more towards the west over Cape Breton. We're still forecast to receive upwards of 130 km/h winds and between 50-100mm of rain with potentially very high storm surges causing possible coastal flooding so this could possibly still get ugly for us.

Gonna tie everything down or take inside anything that can potentially blow around tomorrow. The only thing I'll have to worry about is the boat we'll still have on the water but with the forecast wind direction with this storm it's pretty sheltered from the wind. I'm a bit concerned about the potentially high tides and potential high storm surge but the boat should be fine where it's moored.

Stay safe everyone.
I'm in Japan doing my Tokyo/Shanghai run for 2 weeks and we just survived Typhoon Nanmadol......

Good plan to tie the shit down, and glad to hear the boat is in a good spot!! Hopefully you have a generator to keep those fridges and freezers going. Lots of candles and beer and propane for the BBQ.

Cheers and stay safe

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I have a lot of family members and friends in northeastern NB and erosion is already a major problem there, this storm certainly won't help. In my mom's home village, people are losing huge chunks of land every year and are starting to be forced to move their homes because the sea is getting dangerously close. Sadly, it'll only get worse with more and more hurricanes like this one in the next few decades.

L'érosion à Cap-Bateau entraîne le déménagement d'une maison

Stay safe Maritimers friends of HF, you'll be in my thoughts this weekend.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I know we have some east coasters here, just want to say hope everyone stays safe. Hope that it doesn't cause too much damage

Here is the latest track from a couple of hours ago.

Yes it puts the kaibosh on my fishing trip...i may be the one under water.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Reactions: red devil

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
One of my crazy interest in life are Hurricanes (well, every kind of wrath from mother nature from earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes, viruses etc.)

And this one might hit as a Major Hurricane (3 or higher) and in Canada which is very rare.

1663928579365.png

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
I hope les Îles de la Madeleine will be ok. Only sand bars to protect and connect each island. Same thing for Miquelon if Fiona is closer to Newfoundland.

Reactions: MXD

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Here we go again lol. This is going to be a big one with the only difference being that winds will be from the Northwest and typically with these systems we get heavy southeasterly winds. The air temperature is only forecast to be in the low teens. Strong NW winds are typically what we would get in November-January so this one is a bit different from the typical storm. Hopefully, it is a fast-moving storm and the damage will be minimal, It looks like landfall will be somewhere between Canso NS and southern Cape Breton Island.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Here we go again lol. This is going to be a big one with the only difference being that winds will be from the Northwest and typically with these systems we get heavy southeasterly winds. The air temperature is only forecast to be in the low teens. Strong NW winds are typically what we would get in November-January so this one is a bit different from the typical storm. Hopefully, it is a fast-moving storm and the damage will be minimal, It looks like landfall will be somewhere between Canso NS and southern Cape Breton Island.

Yeah just read that the eye is focused more toward Sydney, cape Breton right now.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah just read that the eye is focused more toward Sydney, cape Breton right now.
I hope that it moves even further out to sea and spares us so much damage. Flooding will probably wreak the most havoc, as you know there are thousands of back roads in this province and there are always washouts. It cost the province big money whenever one of these storms rolls through, NS power has 500 crew members on standby as we speak. Fingers crossed that we get out of this on the good side of things.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Shit, I'm driving to Gaspé tomorrow. But I think it should hit that area a bit later in the afternoon, if I'm not mistaken? Hurricanes are very unpredictable anyhow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad