OT: Hurricane Fiona

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Shit, I'm driving to Gaspé tomorrow. But I think it should hit that area a bit later in the afternoon, if I'm not mistaken? Hurricanes are very unpredictable anyhow.

track.png

Reactions: MonkeyBusiness

CanukInAugusta

Jan 16, 2019
Shit, I'm driving to Gaspé tomorrow. But I think it should hit that area a bit later in the afternoon, if I'm not mistaken? Hurricanes are very unpredictable anyhow.
I am in Rimouski right now and it is a little breezy and sunny. The winds are supposed to die down in an hour or so, with no forecast affects from the hurricane.

Reactions: MonkeyBusiness

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'm in Japan doing my Tokyo/Shanghai run for 2 weeks and we just survived Typhoon Nanmadol......

Good plan to tie the shit down, and glad to hear the boat is in a good spot!! Hopefully you have a generator to keep those fridges and freezers going. Lots of candles and beer and propane for the BBQ.

Cheers and stay safe
Thanks and we're hoping for the best. As far as I know I have everything secure that I think could blow around and even stuff that likely wouldn't have just to be sure.

Checked for any damage to the mooring ropes for the boat this morning and the battery level, which is good, and checked the automatic bilge pump, which is working, so that should hopefully keep the water out of her from the heavy rain.

We do have a generator for some back up power just in case but we rarely lose power from heavy wind storms and hopefully it's the case again this time. It really helps that we don't have any big trees around here that could potentially fall while taking power lines down with them. Getting storms with upwards of 130 km/h isn't really that uncommon around these parts in the past few years it seems.

The high tides and potentially high storm surge levels with this storm is what's concerning me the most since it can potentially cause damage to people's property like their personal boat wharves and storage sheds near the waters edge. We're just outside of the path and the latest forecast as us receiving 9-12 meter waves tomorrow morning (up to 14 meter for Cape Breton areas).

Everyone in my town seems to be prepared for this storm as much as they can be. I'm just gonna stay inside and ride this storm out while only looking out at it and just hope for the best at this point.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Here we go again lol. This is going to be a big one with the only difference being that winds will be from the Northwest and typically with these systems we get heavy southeasterly winds. The air temperature is only forecast to be in the low teens. Strong NW winds are typically what we would get in November-January so this one is a bit different from the typical storm. Hopefully, it is a fast-moving storm and the damage will be minimal, It looks like landfall will be somewhere between Canso NS and southern Cape Breton Island.
We're getting southeasterly winds with this and then shifting to southerly winds late in the day Saturday. Where my house is located we'll get a little bit of a break from the wind blowing from these directions due to a couple of small surrounding hills near me which helps break some of the wind.

With the winds blowing from the SE and S for us there will be a very angry looking sea out there tomorrow but that's not an uncommon sight around these parts.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We're getting southeasterly winds with this and then shifting to southerly winds late in the day Saturday. Where my house is located we'll get a little bit of a break from the wind blowing from these directions due to a couple of small surrounding hills near me which helps break some of the wind.

With the winds blowing from the SE and S for us there will be a very angry looking sea out there tomorrow but that's not an uncommon sight around these parts.
I have never seen a hurricane here that had a NW wind direction, now don't get me wrong, in the winter we get NW gales that last for a couple of days that can get up to 100+ KMs but never this time of year, it's odd. Our biggest storms usually come from the SE in the spring and in Sept-Oct and those are usually high winds. The storm's width seems to be narrowing from what I saw earlier this morning but everyone is still freaked out by the possibility of what might be. I don't think that the general population is quite as strong mentally as it used to be, probably because of the events of the last 2-3 years, people seem to be more on edge than they used to be.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I have never seen a hurricane here that had a NW wind direction, now don't get me wrong, in the winter we get NW gales that last for a couple of days that can get up to 100+ KMs but never this time of year, it's odd. Our biggest storms usually come from the SE in the spring and in Sept-Oct and those are usually high winds. The storm's width seems to be narrowing from what I saw earlier this morning but everyone is still freaked out by the possibility of what might be. I don't think that the general population is quite as strong mentally as it used to be, probably because of the events of the last 2-3 years, people seem to be more on edge than they used to be.

...Society was pansyfied long before COVID showed up...the last two years just magnified it...

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It also doesn't help much that this storm is being talked about as possibly being the strongest hurricane to hit this region by meteorologists and being talked about all over by the news media leading up to it. That alone will have more and more people on edge about this storm.

Just checked the latest marine forecast for my area and we're now down to 55 knot southeasterly winds tomorrow morning and then shifting to 50 southwesterly Saturday evening instead of the southerly winds previously forecast yesterday. These wind speeds and not at all uncommon around here anymore but I do expect gusts to be higher than the expected wind speeds like I've seen many times before.

I think with the winds shifting to SW now it'll make the sea even more angry looking since that's likely the worst wind for us here for sea conditions.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It also doesn't help much that this storm is being talked about as possibly being the strongest hurricane to hit this region by meteorologists and being talked about all over by the news media leading up to it. That alone will have more and more people on edge about this storm.

Just checked the latest marine forecast for my area and we're now down to 55 knot southeasterly winds tomorrow morning and then shifting to 50 southwesterly Saturday evening instead of the southerly winds previously forecast yesterday. These wind speeds and not at all uncommon around here anymore but I do expect gusts to be higher that he expected wind speeds like I've seen many times before.

I think with the winds shifting to SW now it'll make the sea even more angry looking since that's likely the worst wind for us here for sea conditions.
We are forecast to get winds between 100-120 but only for 3-4 hours and it is predicted to drop to 70 by mid-afternoon which suggests that it is a very fast-moving system. Usually, with SE winds(our worst) the systems tend to last for 10-15 hours.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
We are forecast to get winds between 100-120 but only for 3-4 hours and it is predicted to drop to 70 by mid-afternoon which suggests that it is a very fast-moving system. Usually, with SE winds(our worst) the systems tend to last for 10-15 hours.
Looks like it's gonna last about 24 hours or so for us. Winds are suppose to diminish to 25 knots SW by Sunday morning and then 15-20 knots SW Sunday evening so it's not gonna last too long thankfully.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Looks like it's gonna last about 24 hours or so for us. Winds are suppose to diminish to 25 knots SW by Sunday morning and then 15-20 knots SW Sunday evening so it's not gonna last too long thankfully.
The rain which will cause flooding will be our biggest troublemaker. Up to 200 mm are forecast, the ground is incredibly dry because we haven't had much rain in the last 2 months so lots of water will be moving. NS is full of rural back roads and small one-way bridges so flooding is almost a certainty. NS power has 500 people on hurricane watch because of infrastructure concerns. Fingers crossed that mother nature takes it easy on all of us.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The rain which will cause flooding will be our biggest troublemaker. Up to 200 mm are forecast, the ground is incredibly dry because we haven't had much rain in the last 2 months so lots of water will be moving. NS is full of rural back roads and small one-way bridges so flooding is almost a certainty. NS power has 500 people on hurricane watch because of infrastructure concerns. Fingers crossed that mother nature takes it easy on all of us.
The one positive for you all is this isn't your first rodeo. It sounds like communities are already getting together, to make sure everyone makes it through this safe and sound.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have a lot of family members and friends in northeastern NB and erosion is already a major problem there, this storm certainly won't help. In my mom's home village, people are losing huge chunks of land every year and are starting to be forced to move their homes because the sea is getting dangerously close. Sadly, it'll only get worse with more and more hurricanes like this one in the next few decades.

L'érosion à Cap-Bateau entraîne le déménagement d'une maison

Stay safe Maritimers friends of HF, you'll be in my thoughts this weekend.
Couldve been solved by early an early dyke and probably would've cost the same as moving the house (I don't know anything about the cost of moving a house, but I know about dykes (lol))

One of my crazy interest in life are Hurricanes (well, every kind of wrath from mother nature from earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes, viruses etc.)

And this one might hit as a Major Hurricane (3 or higher) and in Canada which is very rare.

View attachment 587494
Welcome to global warming, those category 3 or higher are soon going to be 4-5s :/

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The one positive for you all is this isn't your first rodeo. It sounds like communities are already getting together, to make sure everyone makes it through this safe and sound.
Yeah I've seen some pretty bad wind and snow storms here in NL in my lifetime and everyone here are usually fully aware of potential storms way before they arrive. Living in the middle of the North Atlantic as one checking the forecast a few times a day so no one is usually surprised and just a way of life for us. :)

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yes sir, we are way to used to these storms, luckily this year has been a fairly tame one. The Red Cross and other community groups have been busy setting up locations all over the province to help in case of power outages and other emergencies. NS power is also geared up as well, in the past they have brought in help from as far away as Maine and Quebec to help with downed lines. We will make it through this one as well. I went to the NSLC and got some Captain Morgan for personal medication and the wifey has her wine lol.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Yeah I've seen some pretty bad wind and snow storms here in NL in my lifetime and everyone here are usually fully aware of potential storms way before they arrive. Living in the middle of the North Atlantic as one checking the forecast a few times a day so no one is usually surprised. :)
I have a lot of relatives in NL. Some of the nicest, toughest SOB's you'll ever meet. When I complain about the snow storms we have in Ontario. They just laugh at me and say "Stop being a p***y" lol Yeah that just seems to be a normal way of life. No complaints, just roll with the punches and get up and dust yourself off.

I just love the way you all seem to come together in a crisis. :)

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I have a lot of relatives in NL. Some of the nicest, toughest SOB's you'll ever meet. When I complain about the snow storms we have in Ontario. They just laugh at me and say "Stop being a p***y" lol Yeah that just seems to be a normal way of life. No complaints, just roll with the punches and get up and dust yourself off.

As if it was even possible, my like for you just got elevated to a whole new level lol.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Yes sir, we are way to used to these storms, luckily this year has been a fairly tame one. The Red Cross and other community groups have been busy setting up locations all over the province to help in case of power outages and other emergencies. NS power is also geared up as well, in the past they have brought in help from as far away as Maine and Quebec to help with downed lines. We will make it through this one as well. I went to the NSLC and got some Captain Morgan for personal medication and the wifey has her wine lol.
I have no doubts and like I mentioned. I'm blown away by all the people and organizations that band together.

Haha....sounds like great preparation to me. :)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Youre missing a B'y in that quote, idk where but somewhere.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
As if it was even possible, my like for you just got elevated to a whole new level lol.
Oh man, our family reunions are hilarious. There's about 200 French, and 150 Newfoundlanders, and people from NB. The party goes for 3 days lol By the end of it, I have the most incredible hangover. But I obtain a strong newfie accent for about a week lol.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Oh man, our family reunions are hilarious. There's about 200 French, and 150 Newfoundlanders, and people from NB. The party goes for 3 days lol By the end of it, I have the most incredible hangover. But I obtain a strong newfie accent for about a week lol.
Have you ever been screeched in by any chance? "How can ya do ar ting when ya got nar ting to do ar ting wit". I have performed quite a few of those "ceremonies" lol. I can't believe that I am just finding this out right now after all of my years here. My moms side of the family comes from St Lunaire Griquet which is referred to as the french shore in northern NFLD.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Yeah everyone around here usually try to help each other out as much as they can and if someone needs a hand there's usually someone around to give you a hand with something when needed.

Seems when I was younger these huge storms didn't seem to bother me much but as I've gotten older I've been getting a bit more nervous about them since we seem to be getting much worst storms with much stronger winds than we did 20-30 years ago.

I'm extra cautious these days with these potentially damaging storms and prepare even more than I usually did which is all you can do and just let the rest that's out of your control just play out while hoping for the best for yourself and everyone else affected.

Hopefully the damage will be minimal but it looks like it's gonna be a doozy of a storm for many. Please stay safe everyone and stay the hell inside if possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad