OT: Hurricane Fiona

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Hearing that this is the worst some places has ever seen is devastating. I can't imagine the heartbreak that some people are going through at the moment. Hope that the power gets restored shortly as the weather can turn cold this time a year.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
1664065173372.png

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Some very strong winds there.

The highest wind gust we had here today according to a local weather station was 114 km/h which isn't all that uncommon around these parts these days.

In the last 10 minutes according to that same weather station we currently have 75 km/h winds with gusts to 95 km/h from the SSW so it's still a little breezy here. It's suppose to diminish to 55 km/h late overnight and diminishing further throughout the day tomorrow.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
OldCraig27 wrote:

Power won’t be restored in this area until the middle of next week. I haven’t seen anything like this before, so much damage everywhere.

So, so sorry to read this.

My best wishes to you OC and here’s hoping your family, friends and all of our impacted HF posters, pull through safely and quickly. Godspeed, my friend. 🥺

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Human and animal beings, first and foremost.

And then, living things.

This tree apparently meant something to a lot of travellers. Nature, for all its beauty, can be so cruel.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Human and animal beings, first and foremost.

And then, living things.

This tree apparently meant something to a lot of travellers. Nature, for all its beauty, can be so cruel.

My wife just showed me this as well, we called it the tree of life. Apparently it was over 300 years old. Thank you for the kind words Runner, it was the worst storm of my life, slept maybe 2 hours. Mother nature is a powerful force, wind gusts here got to 160-170. A friend of mine that lives about a half hour away told me that a power pole fell through his father in law’s house and a half dozen big trees are on what was his camper and car. There are large hardwood trees here and quite a few have been uprooted and down on driveways and cars, homes and pwer lines. It is a mess.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Prayers to the great folks in Canada.
I have been following the aftermath on YouTube and I feel for those affected.
I rode out Hurricane Hugo years ago...never want to experience that again.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Prayers to the great folks in Canada.
I have been following the aftermath on YouTube and I feel for those affected.
I rode out Hurricane Hugo years ago...never want to experience that again.
I have power back as of yesterday, but they have a lot of work in front of them. Town I went to university in, which is near where @OldCraig71 lives, Antigonish is still assessing damage before they can estimate restore times. Sister in law lives in eastern PEI looking at late week or next week sometime for power. Fishing boats smashed, schools missing roofs. Cell phone towers were barely getting texts through at first because everyone was trying to use them. It's a god damn mess, with solid 5 hours of thunder and lightning this morning. They can't catch a break.

I dont know anyone personally that suffered bad losses but there is lots of devastation out there in all the pics that can be seen and probably much more to come in the aftermath when everyone gets full cell services back, to post more.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I have power back as of yesterday, but they have a lot of work in front of them. Town I went to university in, which is near where @OldCraig71 lives, Antigonish is still assessing damage before they can estimate restore times. Sister in law lives in eastern PEI looking at late week or next week sometime for power. Fishing boats smashed, schools missing roofs. Cell phone towers were barely getting texts through at first because everyone was trying to use them. It's a god damn mess, with solid 5 hours of thunder and lightning this morning. They can't catch a break.

I dont know anyone personally that suffered bad losses but there is lots of devastation out there in all the pics that can be seen and probably much more to come in the aftermath when everyone gets full cell services back, to post more.
Thanks for your comments. We still don’t have power and although power crews are working around the clock, the damage to utility infrastructure is enormous.Several large structures came down during the storm as well as destruction to substations and other areas of the utility infrastructure. There are limited supplies of gasoline and only 2 stations that run on backup power. I drove 45 kms this morning to get gas and a coffee. The damage here is astronomical and to top it off, we had thunderstorms all day today which dumped 20-30 mms of additional rain and further hampered the efforts of power line crews. My grandma used to say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I am questioning that saying by the minute. Cheers to those of you enjoying restored power, it’s going to be a while for us.

Ian is gonna make Fiona look like a light breeze.
Wind speed got up to 180 here and I can tell you it was certainly no light breeze.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Thanks for your comments. We still don’t have power and although power crews are working around the clock, the damage to utility infrastructure is enormous.Several large structures came down during the storm as well as destruction to substations and other areas of the utility infrastructure. There are limited supplies of gasoline and only 2 stations that run on backup power. I drove 45 kms this morning to get gas and a coffee. The damage here is astronomical and to top it off, we had thunderstorms all day today which dumped 20-30 mms of additional rain and further hampered the efforts of power line crews. My grandma used to say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I am questioning that saying by the minute. Cheers to those of you enjoying restored power, it’s going to be a while for us.

Wind speed got up to 180 here and I can tell you it was certainly no light breeze.
Feel for you big guy. Antigonish was always so windy anyways it says a lot when something plows through and just destroys it like that. Update I saw said they were trying to get post rd and the hospital up. So people can get gas without such a hassle.

This is my 3rd rodeo for hurricanes and I cant remember a post hurricane weather that is so poor. Cold on Saturday, this today and rain tomorrow as well. I mean the rain wont stop them from working but it will definitely make is slower.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I mean they seem very comparable but I dont think it is a pissing contest.
I realized my callousness and it was not meant to trivialize what The Maritimes went through. My apologies to you all.

I was reflecting on the comments I read on US news, like this,

They seem overly concerned even though they get these every year.

Reactions: MXD and CDN24

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Feel for you big guy. Antigonish was always so windy anyways it says a lot when something plows through and just destroys it like that. Update I saw said they were trying to get post rd and the hospital up. So people can get gas without such a hassle.

This is my 3rd rodeo for hurricanes and I cant remember a post hurricane weather that is so poor. Cold on Saturday, this today and rain tomorrow as well. I mean the rain wont stop them from working but it will definitely make is slower.
Thank you for this, I appreciate you kind words. I have been through many of these storms but nothing like this. I have talked to people that are 80 years old and no one has seen anything like this. Hurricane Juan was devastating for Halifax but this storm carved out a much larger path. People in NB, NS, PEI and NFlD have all been hit hard by this storm. Our PM that easily throws hundreds of millions of dollars to foreign countries has said that he will only commit to matching donations made to the Red Cross, lol, I can’t even. We are hoping that we are going to catch a break in the coming hours and days and we can be restored to some form of normalcy.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Sorry to hear you and others still don't have your power back. Do you have a generator to provide some power?

Even though we had it quite bad here with the heavy storm surges where I live it was nothing like the PAB area and other areas in Atlantic Canada experienced who were hit more directly.

People walking along the beaches here yesterday after the seas subsided discovered a substantial amount of lobsters that had unfortunately washed ashore but with such heavy seas pounding our shores on Saturday they really didn't stand much of a chance.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Sorry to hear you and others still don't have your power back. Do you have a generator to provide some power?

Even though we had it quite bad here with the heavy storm surges where I live it was nothing like the PAB area and other areas in Atlantic Canada experienced who were hit more directly.

People walking along the beaches here yesterday after the seas subsided discovered a substantial amount of lobsters that had unfortunately washed ashore but with such heavy seas pounding our shores on Saturday they really didn't stand much of a chance.
We are getting by Sheed. I don’t own a generator but a good friend of mine does and my meats are stored in his freezer to keep them from spoiling. I have a woodstove and a barbecue and a small Coleman stove. I also have plenty of preservatives so we are getting by. It’s good to hear that your area was spared, nobody wants to go through these storms. Our gas stations and local Sobeys are cash only but luckily we withdrew enough cash to get us through a week or so. Hoping that things turn around soon.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
We are getting by Sheed. I don’t own a generator but a good friend of mine does and my meats are stored in his freezer to keep them from spoiling. I have a woodstove and a barbecue and a small Coleman stove. I also have plenty of preservatives so we are getting by. It’s good to hear that your area was spared, nobody wants to go through these storms but it is what it is I guess.
Perfect.. Good to know you and your family are doing well and getting through this. Hopefully things will get back to somewhat normal for you and everyone else affected by this storm very soon and you all can get your power restored soon.

Also good to know that you have a very good source of heat with the woodstove and also the ability to cook something.

We did end up losing an old fishing stage to Fiona that we didn't really use anymore and were gonna take it down later but other than that we fared pretty well compared to how many others were affected by the destruction from this storm. :(

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I realized my callousness and it was not meant to trivialize what The Maritimes went through. My apologies to you all.

I was reflecting on the comments I read on US news, like this,

They seem overly concerned even though they get these every year.
Yeah I did some looking. Seems like its a combination of storm surge and lower level lands. Concerns for Tampa over a steady push of the storm surge going there. Flooding is a high probability. Hopefully it works out better than expected but the dynamics change pretty fast. Even Fiona they were saying on Friday leading up that it was pushing east of its line of landing at Canso. Possibly Louisbourg in Cape Breton and it ended up southwest of Canso. Plan for the worst hope for the best.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
An expert (yeah, that’s all we need more of right now), one Paul Kovacs was on The National tonight saying that Canada generally does a good job at recovery from disasters but fails when it comes to rebuilding.

Kovacs claims that when structures are rebuilt, they are done in the same manner as they were before a disaster and in many instances, the same weaknesses are replicated with no forethought given to the type of challenges a particular area is likely to face.

I know that this is the farthest thing from the minds of those needing immediate assistance and quite understandably, the loss of power is hugely distressing. Hopefully, once power is restored, those who are rebuilding will insist on getting it done differently so as not to be as exposed to a future calamity.

I admire all of you who live in the affected areas and know that you will pull through this cause you are resilient and above all, you are there for each other. Here’s hoping you get the assistance you so greatly deserve. Please keep us posted on how your situation is evolving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad