Pre-Game Talk: Hurrican... forget it, LET'S TALK LINES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Yeah, you guys are right. I've never heard of two wingers succeeding on their off wing. Or that both forecheck well and will be supported by the best center in the world. Yeah, won't work. Internet gurus said so.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Because he was told that he would remain on Sid's wing.

Because he has earned that spot, possibly more so than anyone else on the team has earned their spot.

You put the best lines together that give the Penguins the best shot at winning. The whole 'promise' or 'deserving' business is so juvenile.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yeah, you guys are right. I've never heard of two wingers succeeding on their off wing. Or that both forecheck well and will be supported by the best center in the world. Yeah, won't work. Internet gurus said so.

Sorry, try again.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Well, it hasn't happened so far. And if we're being honest, neither of them are as good at forechecking as either Kunitz or Dupuis. Neither are as speedy or as good as digging out pucks, either. So sure, DB can justify Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis if he wants the ultimate speed line, but splitting them -- and Iggy & Neal -- up is what will make for a far more balanced approach for each line.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I would like to see Bennett after his first face wash in his first scrum,I feel safer with more experienced players and grinders like Adams and Glass

Bennett getting 8-12 min a game on the 4th line won't hurt them and will give them a much better chance to score than having both Glass and Adams. There is no justification to play both Glass and Adams when healthy.

Bennett has to get his PO feet wet some time, I'd rather it be now on this stacked team then next year as a top 6 RW.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
So we are just assuming he can't handle a facewash now? Lets give him a chance since he is a much better player than Glass during the 60 minutes where the clock is actually running. If he can't deal with that stuff, sit him. I'm not suggesting we take the extra guys out back and shoot them.

I just hate this mentality. We have a really good player who may or may not have trouble in his first playoffs and maybe possibly play like a sub-par play. Then we have a sub-par player who will be sub-par no matter what. Why not take the chance on the guy with a chance to impact a hockey game?

I agree. I have my doubts about this young kid's readiness level for the POs, but hes at least earned the chance, surely?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Annnnd this is why we stay on the Pens board instead of those other ones ;) Keep it Pens chat! Keep those far away boards.... far away.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
I apologize if someone else put this out there but I'm too lazy to search all the pages...

I like the idea of spreading the wealth and making three lines that make it impossible to match up against, even if means (GASP) Iginla doesn't play with Sid

Observe:

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis (was working to perfection before Sid's face exploded)
BB-Geno-Neal (reunites 71/18 and gives them a competent LW)
Morrow-Juice-Iggy (this line has been solid and it would be our THIRD line)

Thoughts?

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Any combination of lines are arguable that do not have Iginla on the left or Neal on the right... But I think everyone knows it is going to happen.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Hoping you guys can give Carolina at least one point. It would help the Flames move up in the draft. :)

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Yeah, it is easy saying that Bylsma is an NHL coach, an Adams winner and the fastest ever to get to 200 wins. So amateurs on a website saying that some of the things he does look ridiculous could be considered..... ridiculous.

But if you watch the games... and understand it a little bit.... it is hard to come to different conclusions. So maybe you try and argue a specific point rather than this red herring.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I apologize if someone else put this out there but I'm too lazy to search all the pages...

I like the idea of spreading the wealth and making three lines that make it impossible to match up against, even if means (GASP) Iginla doesn't play with Sid

Observe:

Thoughts?

I'm also leaning very heavily that way.

It makes your 4th line Cooke, Sutter, Kennedy your actual shut down line with Sutter leading the way. I know some may not like Kennedy on it and that's one spot I don't mind cycling in other guys.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

neither forchecks particularly well. And when they do, they aren't in position to use their shot which is each of their best attributes.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Play Iginla with Sid on the PP. Divide and conquer. Make us unstoppable on three fronts.

GDT will be up around 7pm GMT (2PM EST)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Observe:

Thoughts?

If Kunitz and Dupuis are together, I am all for Iggy to the third line. Its far better than Iggy and Neal together.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
One thing I'm hoping is that Disco will be doing some double shifting and other creative ice time adjustments for guys throughout the games. It would be easy to just roll 4 lines with this line-up, but no matter how good the 4th line is, we're better off giving Sid and Geno extra ice time. Say the lines look like this on paper

Dupuis - Sid - Iginla
Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Bennett
Cooke - Jokinen - Adams

I think we'd see points in the game where these are the actual lines we'd see on the ice

Dupuis - Sid - Iginla
Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sid - Jokinen/Sutter
Morrow - Geno - Bennett/Sutter

Whoever is Geno's left wing, I hope to see the occasional shift with Jokinen there for a big faceoff. I wouldn't be surprised to see an occasional Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis shutdown line either.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It could work. Also, with Iggy playing less ES minutes on line 3, we can more afford to max out his PP time since he's so effective there.

I'd still rather him on Sid's line. If someone drops out of the top 6, it should be Dupuis. Of Neal, Iginla, Kunitz and Dupuis, Duper loses the least by not having an elite center. And if Iginla needs his minutes regulated at that point, he could swap with Dupuis a few shifts a game.

Though now I'm back to my dream scenarios where Dupuis isn't glued to Sid's line with promises.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
I really feel Bennet should be on line two with Geno and Neal. Put Iggy with Sid and Kunitz and let Dupuis go with Jokinen and Morrow. It makes too much sense. Fourth line of Sutter, Cooke and whoever.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Instead of line combinations can we just call them circle combinations cause we keep going round and round and round when talking about them.

EPIC

As I read this battle between you guys, I think to myself. I wonder how many other teams fans would love to have this debate?...Just sayin

Point is, they don't, but if they did...would you think they'd not be doing the same? Boston did it with, Jagr. Just sayin.

I expanded on the epic thought.

DBsCircleoftrust_zpse90603b6.jpg

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
If I see Iginal, Neal, and Malkin running into each other on the right side of the ice one more time I'm going to go crazy. Lines a mess and doesn't work. Put Kunitz on the Malkin line since we know that works & put Iggy at RW with Sid.

This Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis chemistry thing is crap. Any line you put those guys on is going to be a good line because they are all great two way players & fit Bylsma's system perfectly.

Inkio

Jul 2, 2012

Observe:

Thoughts?

Iggy is not a 3rd line player. He came to Pittsburgh to play with Sid and Malkin. Under no circumstance is he going to be put on the wing of Sutter. Never going to happen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Iggy is not a 3rd line player. He came to Pittsburgh to play with Sid and Malkin. Under no circumstance is he going to be put on the wing of Sutter. Never going to happen.

You're right. That doesn't mean it wouldn't make us a better hockey team than playing him with Neal does. He should be on Sid's right wing. That's the best spot for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad