Pre-Game Talk: Hurrican... forget it, LET'S TALK LINES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Like I said guys, just try not micro-analyze this too much.

And here I thought the Pens getting scoring wingers would end the hand-wringing. Should've known better, haha.

Well, in defense of the rest of us, we naturally assumed that Bylsma would position all of them in the best possible situations to score. Then again, some of us also assumed that Iginla would be playing with Crosby.

So, you're right, we should have known better, haha. ;)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dupuis can pretty much move to any spot in the lineup and still be nearly as effective as he is with Crosby. There isn't some magical chemistry that he has with Sid. Dupuis is a straight-line player who produces because of his speed and tireless work ethic. He'll work with anybody(and has).

Iginla's role is a bit more narrow. He's a trigger-man who would benefit greatly from a skilled passer setting him up. It's such a no-brainer to put him next to Sid. Winning in the postseason is about depth and exploiting matchups. Dupuis to the third line and Iginla to the first sets our team up to win better than any other alternative.

Apparently, it's not quite the no-brainer that you think it is.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
It just seems like such an unnecessary thing to even try. Bennett and Morrow have both looked just fine on Geno's left side, Iginla is clearly better on the right side, and Dupuis can play anywhere. I mean this lineup makes itself. Why Bylsma feels the need to over-manage it I have no idea.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I agree, even though I think it's a failure waiting to happen. The main concern of mine is Bylsma actually adjusting when it's clearly not working.

Well, I'm sure an elimination game will be just in time then.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Well **** me then.

And to think that I thought there was a remote chance that Bylsma would get his head out of his ***.

EDIT: Neal didn't tweet that, or at least I can't find it.

Neal didn't tweet it.
https://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop/status/328172923464585216

#Pens will line up Iginla at left wing and James Neal on right wing. Evgeni Malkin center -SK

Like I said before. Yesterday's practice lines give me a glimmer of hope. Maybe Dan really just wants to give Iggy the best available center during games and then will switch to Kunitz-Malkin-Neal when Sid gets back.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, in defense of the rest of us, we naturally assumed that Bylsma would position all of them in the best possible situations to score. Then again, some of us also assumed that Iginla would be playing with Crosby.

So, you're right, we should have known better, haha. ;)

Fans often have static ideas about players. Coaches operate in the real world where players can change and adjust, and don't mind changing a combination or role for a stretch to see if something could develop...even if it might be hard on the eyes to begin with.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It just seems like such an unnecessary thing to even try. Bennett and Morrow have both looked just fine on Geno's left side, Iginla is clearly better on the right side, and Dupuis can play anywhere. I mean this lineup makes itself. Why Bylsma feels the need to over-manage it I have no idea.

Yes you do. You just don't want to join the rest of us in saying it. ;)

I was so hopeful when I saw the lines coming together with Sid and Geno out. I thought that this is what was shaping up:

Kunitz-Sid-Iggy
Bennett-Geno-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Adams

Best line in hockey. An elite scoring line. A third line that showed sick chemistry and was scoring goals. A third line that is a true checking line. To avoid over exposing/playing Bennett, there would be situational shifts where guys from the third or fourth line would spell him for shifts.

Alas, we'll have to forget about what might have been and hope that the Pens can overcome what is.

I really do think, of all the conceivable line combinations involving Pens personnel who might dress and when you consider where they legitimately might be slotted, Bylsma has chosen the single worst option possible.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 35s

:cry::cry::cry:

I hate Bylsma so much. I really do. The only thing -- and I literally mean the ONLY thing -- that will redeem him in my mind is if this team wins the Cup this year. Anything less and I will forever hate him for the stupid lines he insists on using.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Fans often have static ideas about players. Coaches operate in the real world where players can change and adjust, and don't mind changing a combination or role for a stretch to see if something could develop...even if it might be hard on the eyes to begin with.

If anything, it seems like Bylsma has the most static idea of them all; that Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis has this bizarre untouchable chemistry that is unbreakable.

Realizing that changing a 16 year veteran RW to the left isn't a good idea, let alone a good idea in the time he has to adjust, isn't a static idea about a player, it's common sense.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Well, **** it. I'll cling to that too, just like I cling to my hopes of winning the lottery.

:laugh: Clinging to that now makes ledge jumping less likely in the present, unfortunately if things don't go well, it makes it much more likely in the future.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If anything, it seems like Bylsma has the most static idea of them all; that Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis has this bizarre untouchable chemistry that is unbreakable.

Realizing that changing a 16 year veteran RW to the left isn't a good idea, let alone a good idea in the time he has to adjust, isn't a static idea about a player, it's common sense.

Has that line not worked this year?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Yes, shifting a future HOF RW to LW and Cooke to RW makes perfect sense in the name of Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis chemistry.

And, lest we forget, this is the genius coach who put Malkin at RW with Mike Comrie. That one was hard on the eyes. And guess why? Because it sucked, just like Iginla on LW sucks.

Some guys can play different positions. Some guys are decidedly better at one position than the other.

BUT, what do I know? You and Bylsma see more clearly than I why any 15 year veteran who has played one position his entire career and is a future HOF player at that position should be able to come in, learn a new system, switch to the other wing, and have it take no more than three weeks to happen seamlessly or without marked drop off in performance. It is what it is. I'll hope you're right, but only because the consequences otherwise are far worse.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Yes, like Kunitz-Malkin-Neal last year. And, clearly, when the playoffs come, that's what matters more than putting together combinations designed to best exploit ALL of your available personnel. After all, you only need one line that really kills it during the regular season to win a cup.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

ya, and Kunitz - Geno - Neal worked last year.

Bennett - Geno - Neal worked this year better than it has with Iggy. Morrow - Jokinen - Dupuis has worked really well too. Do you think there is any chance at all that Kunitz - Sid - Iggy wouldn't work along with those two lines that we know do work?

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
So if Dan leads the Pens to another cup this year, will you guys finally stop whining about him? Or just when he doesn't win it again next year? Or after we lose 3 games in a row next year?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

It's the other lines that aren't working.

I can't believe people were so trigger happy over the 2nd line earlier this year, but are willing to go into the playoffs with combinations that look even worse. Iginla is visibly uncomfortable there. If he wasn't, I would be fine with the lines the way they are. (Actually, I'd still have qualms about Morrow - X - Cooke, think Bennett should be there, but whatever)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So if Dan leads the Pens to another cup this year, will you guys finally stop whining about him? Or just when he doesn't win it again next year? Or after we lose 3 games in a row next year?

Yea, we do question him a lot for a guy who wins every year.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

You don't find it a little idiotic to force a HOF RW to his offside a few games before the postseason. You don't think it'd be a little harder for a guy with 16+ years at one position to switch than Neal who had the benefit of an offseason, training camp and full regular season?

We'll see what happens. Only positive I can see is Geno is really struggling with his shot this year and giving him two snipers on their offwings would help alleviate that. I just see that line struggling to maintain zone time.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

So if the Pens flame out in the first or second round, will you finally admit not all his decisions are perfect? That he's actually a human being that makes some mistakes and not all his decisions are flawless?

It's okay to think Byslma's a good coach overall but point out some of his weird decisions, you know. You don't have to blindly agree with every single thing he does in order to remain a loyal fan.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Things done in the past do not effect current situations. If he wins the cup this year and then continues making bad coaching decisions next year, I will still point them out.

WhoDaresWins

Nov 9, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well **** me then.

And to think that I thought there was a remote chance that Bylsma would get his head out of his ***.

EDIT: Neal didn't tweet that, or at least I can't find it.

He didn't tweet it but he said it.

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 2h
Neal said with Iginla getting comfortable on LW he expects to play on the right side. #Penguins

https://twitter.com/pgshelly

Pens Inside Scoop ‏@PensInsideScoop 1h
#Pens will line up Iginla at left wing and James Neal on right wing. Evgeni Malkin center -SK

https://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You don't find it a little idiotic to force a HOF RW to his offside a few games before the postseason. You don't think it'd be a little harder for a guy with 16+ years at one position to switch than Neal who had the benefit of an offseason, training camp and full regular season?

We'll see what happens. Only positive I can see is Geno is really struggling with his shot this year and giving him two snipers on their offwings would help alleviate that. I just see that line struggling to maintain zone time.

If his shoulder is a problem, I think he needs someone to help alleviate his time doing boardwork more than he needs a second shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad