Hull & Oates vs Ovechkin & Backstrom

Which duo would you rather have?

• Total voters

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
For on ice chemistry, not even close. Oates and Hull were almost unstoppable. So as a line I would probably pick them. Ovechkin is a better goal scorer then Hull although I would love to see prime Hull in this era, but Oates in his prime was better then Backstrom.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Janney only played on the Blues for a little over 2 years and Oates wasn’t much more than that. Hull played on a checking line with Bassen and Sutter a lot. If Hull and Oates would have stayed together, Hull would have 1000 goals quite easily.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Janney only played on the Blues for a little over 2 years and Oates wasn’t much more than that. Hull played on a checking line with Bassen and Sutter a lot. If Hull and Oates would have stayed together, Hull would have 1000 goals quite easily.
1000 goals easily, huh?

I watched a lot of Oates and a lot of Backstrom. They're very close. I could see arguments for either.

My rank is:
Ovie
Hull
Backstrom/Oates

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
1000 goals easily, huh?

I watched a lot of Oates and a lot of Backstrom. They're very close. I could see arguments for either.

My rank is:
Ovie
Hull
Backstrom/Oates

Hull scored 230 goals in the 2 1/2 years he played with Oates. He scored 750 total. I think another 250 goals if they played their entire careers together isn’t a stretch.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Facts like Brett Hull being a better of a goal scorer as Ovechkin?

I don't care how many times Ovechkin leads the lead in scoring, the league is a joke now and teams are so diluted half the players in the league can't handle the puck. Not to mention the poor quality of competition competing for Rocket trophies.

So your argument essentially boils down to "players suck today compared to the 80s".

streitz

Jul 22, 2018

Janney was crap compared to Oates, lol.

Oates made his linemates better. Janney was made by his linemates(ie Neely,Shanahan, to a lesser extent Tkachuk).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How did you come to that conclusion?

I mean ...

I don't care how many times Ovechkin leads the lead in scoring, the league is a joke now and teams are so diluted half the players in the league can't handle the puck. Not to mention the poor quality of competition competing for Rocket trophies.

What other conclusions am I supposed to draw from the above? Or am I not understanding "the league is a joke now" and "half the players in the league can't handle the puck" and "the poor quality of competition competing for the Rocket"?

Reactions: ginomini

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I mean ...

What other conclusions am I supposed to draw from the above? Or am I not understanding "the league is a joke now" and "half the players in the league can't handle the puck" and "the poor quality of competition competing for the Rocket"?

Well all of those things are true from my perspective.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well all of those things are true from my perspective.

This is turning into the strangest circular argument ever.

"Hull is better than Ovechkin because the league is a joke and the players suck now compared to who Hull was against"

"So your entire argument for why Hull is better is because the players suck now compared to back then?"

"I didn't say that"

"You literally just said it"

"Well, that's how I feel"

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
This is turning into the strangest circular argument ever.

"Hull is better than Ovechkin because the league is a joke and the players suck now compared to who Hull was against"

"So your entire argument for why Hull is better is because the players suck now compared to back then?"

"I didn't say that"

"You literally just said it"

"Well, that's how I feel"

I agree with all of the above statements.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
You couldn't go wrong enough either. I don't think there is enough difference to complain about someone taking the other side.

And yeah, Oates was spectacular. One of the best passers ever.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Oates is so far ahead of Backstrom it defies all logic

Hull was slightly better then Ovechkin.

Oates/Hull >>>>>> Backstrom/Ovechkin

tenor.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Is posting meme's of crappy actors/failed football players a new thing when you don't have a hockey related argument?

I just cant believe someone would say Brett (not Bobby, cause you could have a decent argument) Hull is better than Ovechkin.... when that simply isn't true.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I just cant believe someone would say Brett (not Bobby, cause you could have a decent argument) Hull is better than Ovechkin.... when that simply isn't true.

Well I think he was better, equal as a goalscorer and superior in every other aspect as a player.

Brett Hull for example never had 22 assists in a full season, which is frankly pathetic for a 'superstar player'.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oates was on pace for 150 points(115 points in 61 games) in 90-91 aswell as several other exceptional years. Backstrom, without Ovechkin would be a 60 point player. Oates's wingers always had career years with him. Every single one of them.

As for Brett Hull vs Ovechkin, well you can disagree if you like but Brett Hull was substantially more intelligent as a player, better poise, just as good as a goalscorer. I agree that Bobby was also better, though.

So. Intangibles? Neat.

His lack of rockets is evidence he wasn't as good a goalscorer

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well I think he was better, equal as a goalscorer and superior in every other aspect as a player.

Brett Hull for example never had 22 assists in a full season, which is frankly pathetic for a 'superstar player'.

Hull was never the physical force Ovy is. Aside from assist, I wonder where else you think Golden Brett was better :facepalm:

"Better or equal as a goal scorer" yet he lead the league in goals only 3 times.... to Ovechkins 7.

Also funny how aside from Hull's 78 goal season, Ovechkin has the better peak goal scoring year with 65. Adjusted they are probably neck and neck. Ovy also has 7 50 goal seasons to Hull's 5, with another one at 49. Scoring was higher back then FYI.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Hull was never the physical force Ovy is. Aside from assist, I wonder where else you think Golden Brett was better :facepalm:

"Better or equal as a goal scorer" yet he lead the league in goals only 3 times.... to Ovechkins 7.

Also funny how aside from Hull's 78 goal season, Ovechkin has the better peak goal scoring year with 65. Adjusted they are probably neck and neck. Ovy also has 7 50 goal seasons to Hull's 5, with another one at 49. Scoring was higher back then FYI.

Hull has 3 years scoring better than Ovechkin...86, 72 and 70 goals

Also, as of the same age (33), their GPG are 0.71 for Hull and 0.61 for Ovechkin.

As for the "leading the league" point...last time I checked Ovechkin isnt going against prime Gretzky and Lemieux

- Is Ovechkin one of the 5 best goal scorers the league has seen? yeah
- Is Ovechkin's goal scoring inflated by being the only elite goal scorer around? yeah
- Is Ovechkin or Hull the better scorer? honestly, a personal preference that you can make an argument either way for

Reactions: stl76

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017

Also, as of the same age (33), their GPG are 0.71 for Hull and 0.61 for Ovechkin.

As for the "leading the league" point...last time I checked Ovechkin isnt going against prime Gretzky and Lemieux

- Is Ovechkin's goal scoring inflated by being the only elite goal scorer around? yeah
- Is Ovechkin or Hull the better scorer? honestly, a personal preference that you can make an argument either way for

Yeah let's not assume that the GPG was higher when Hull played... What Ovechkin is doing from a goalscoring perspective in this era is just otherworldly and will be unrivaled in the near future.

Reactions: Voight

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
As far as players go, the way I see it is:

Hull <<< Ovi
Oates >> Backstrom

- Ovi's a top 3 goalscorer of all time if not the absolute best and has a top 3 peak in league history for goal scoring.
- I'd say Hull's top 10 for sure if not top 7. His peak is top 3 for sure and arguably the highest peak ever for goal scoring.

- As for Oates, he's the second greatest playmaker after Mr. Gretzky himself imo. Every sniper he played with had career years and he was able to be consistent as that type of player for a decade.
- Backstrom is no slouch but I don't see him on the same level as Oates. I don't think it would matter too much who Ovi plays with tbh, he creates enough offense on his own.

I think if it was a matter of just having 2 players on your team, with lines not being emphasized, I take the caps duo.

I prefer the chemistry that Hull and Oates had as a duo however, so I went with them. I don't think you can go wrong with either though.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Whew - completely ignoring context really leads to some absurd opinions. Ovi's 65 goal season is more impressive than anything Hull did.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad