Hull & Oates vs Ovechkin & Backstrom

Which duo would you rather have?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
On HF boards, the old retired players always trump the current, in polls.

The Nostalgia and the total lack of understanding of how much better hockey is today, is simply incredible.

Going too far. Hull was still playing great hockey within a year of Ovechkin's draft. He was top 10 in goals (as a 39 year old mind you) one season before Ovi's draft year

Reactions: Kunta Kinte

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
How do you figure?

He was better at playmaking, better defensively, better skater(Not faster but stronger on his skates). He had a better shot if he had to use it, he was more clutch, better on faceoffs. He was also substantially more intelligent in the way he saw the game.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Hull was slightly better then Ovechkin.
AQiVI3g.png

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Oates is so far ahead of Backstrom it defies all logic

Hull was slightly better then Ovechkin.

Oates/Hull >>>>>> Backstrom/Ovechkin

He was better at playmaking, better defensively, better skater(Not faster but stronger on his skates). He had a better shot if he had to use it, he was more clutch, better on faceoffs. He was also substantially more intelligent in the way he saw the game.
Seriously? :laugh:

Oates was better than Backstrom but not by much, outside of Oates' peak year in 92-93. But Ovechkin is quite a bit better than Hull.... somewhere in the "AINEC" category. The only way you'll ever see Hull ahead of Ovechkin is if the name starts off with "Bobby".

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Hull and Oates, despite being relics of the past have put out many great songs, absolute bangers that still hold up today. Call me when Backstrom and Ovechkin put out a song half as good as Rich Girl
I was wondering how many posts I'd have to read before someone did this. :laugh:

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You could maybe argue Hull and Oates had a slightly better peak as a duo, since Backstrom was still improving the first two years of Ovechkin's 3 year peak, and Hull had his 86 goal season and Oates was 2nd to Gretzky in PPG in '91, but even then I would argue that Hull's limitations as a player compared to peak Ovechkin put it in favour of the Washington duo.

Of course for career, Ovechkin is so much better than Hull that it's not even a debate. I would put Oates over Backstrom, but not by much and they're pretty similar. If it's comparing Hull and Oates at their peak to Backstrom and Ovi to today, then I guess you take the Blues duo, but it's a bit unfair to use a random year in comparison

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Seriously? :laugh:

Oates was better than Backstrom but not by much, outside of Oates' peak year in 92-93. But Ovechkin is quite a bit better than Hull.... somewhere in the "AINEC" category. The only way you'll ever see Hull ahead of Ovechkin is if the name starts off with "Bobby".

Oates was on pace for 150 points(115 points in 61 games) in 90-91 aswell as several other exceptional years. Backstrom, without Ovechkin would be a 60 point player. Oates's wingers always had career years with him. Every single one of them.

As for Brett Hull vs Ovechkin, well you can disagree if you like but Brett Hull was substantially more intelligent as a player, better poise, just as good as a goalscorer. I agree that Bobby was also better, though.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Oates was on pace for 150 points(115 points in 61 games) in 90-91 aswell as several other exceptional years. Backstrom, without Ovechkin would be a 60 point player. Oates's wingers always had career years with him. Every single one of them.

As for Brett Hull vs Ovechkin, well you can disagree if you like but Brett Hull was substantially more intelligent as a player, better poise, just as good as a goalscorer. I agree that Bobby was also better, though.
If your going to make claims that Hull was better than Ovechkin, better come up with something better than “poise” and “intelligence.”........oh and defense? What defense from Hull are you speaking of?

Ovechkin was much more dynamic, physical, and a much greater goal scorer IMO, especially given the era. As a player, not many would actually suggest that Brett was better. Not close.

You could maybe argue Hull and Oates had a slightly better peak as a duo, since Backstrom was still improving the first two years of Ovechkin's 3 year peak, and Hull had his 86 goal season and Oates was 2nd to Gretzky in PPG in '91, but even then I would argue that Hull's limitations as a player compared to peak Ovechkin put it in favour of the Washington duo.

Of course for career, Ovechkin is so much better than Hull that it's not even a debate. I would put Oates over Backstrom, but not by much and they're pretty similar. If it's comparing Hull and Oates at their peak to Backstrom and Ovi to today, then I guess you take the Blues duo, but it's a bit unfair to use a random year in comparison
I do think the Oates was an overall better player than Backstrom but it’s close. Closer than Hull and Ovi for sure as well.

I feel Backstrom is the weak link here in general.

Reactions: alexgreeen

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
If your going to make claims that Hull was better than Ovechkin, better come up with something better than “poise” and “intelligence.”........oh and defense? What defense from Hull are you speaking of?

Ovechkin was much more dynamic, physical, and a much greater goal scorer IMO, especially given the era. As a player, not many would actually suggest that Brett was better. Not close.

Why do I need to come up with anything aside from my experience watching hockey?

I'm not going to/don't care about changing people's opinions. I'm giving mine.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Why do I need to come up with anything aside from my experience watching hockey?

I'm not going to/don't care about changing people's opinions. I'm giving mine.
So by your experience, you can honestly say that you saw Brett Hull play any sort of decent defense?.....

No point of having an opinion if there’s nothing to back it, right? Posters have already pointed out that your claims don’t make much sense. Instead of playing the elitist, why don’t you share your “experience.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad