Hull & Oates vs Ovechkin & Backstrom

Which duo would you rather have?

• Total voters

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
That's great. Hull even won an MVP.

But Ovechkin won 2, and nearly a third, along with leading the NHL in PPG for all three years.

And if you compare their careers outside Hull's peak 3 seasons, there is no comparison what-so-ever. Ovechkin blows his doors off with 4 more rockets, another Hart, another Hart runner-up, a Conn Smythe, and a few more elite seasons.
Ovechkin has 3 MVP's.
Because Hull faced harder competition.
You keep saying this and every stat, analytic etc disagrees with you. Hull's a great player, but he didn't play against better competition and he isn't a better player than Ovechkin.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Well I don't think I am.

Hull was a better hockey player then Ovechkin, fact.
What exactly was he better than Ovechkin at? He isn't a better goal scorer, that's clear to anyone with any sense and Ovechkin will have more goals career wise in a much more difficult era to score when it's all said and done. Ovechkin is the better skater. He's a far more physical player and Brett Hull was even worse defensively than Ovi has been throughout his career. Again, what is he better at? Please name me one thing

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ovechkin has 3 MVP's.

You keep saying this and every stat, analytic etc disagrees with you. Hull's a great player, but he didn't play against better competition and he isn't a better player than Ovechkin.

He was talking about Peak seasons tho, he noted after he won a Hart even after his 3 year peak

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Ovechkin has 3 MVP's.

Well he had to compete with Gretzky and Lemieux for Hart's so, I don't care about that.

Also Brett is a better passer, better positioning, more intelligent, better defensively(late career), equal goal scorer.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Well he had to compete with Gretzky and Lemieux for Hart's so, I don't care about that.

Also Brett is a better passer, better positioning, more intelligent, better defensively(late career), equal goal scorer.

All of this is wrong.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
All of this is wrong.

Hull also didn't lose any harts to Gretzky or Lemieux. He also had zero top 10 assist finishes compared to OV's 3 but he's somehow a better passer :laugh:

Honestly what's the point of "arguing" if someone is just going to ignore all the facts and just keep crying "because I said so"? You're just feeding the troll at this point my friend.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015

Better passer? Zero 50 assist seasons, Ovechkin had four.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Better passer? Zero 50 assist seasons, Ovechkin had four.

Hull has 0.51 APG
Ovechkin 0.5.09 APG

So yeah stats wise for assists its hard to go against or for one of the other here... they have the same average per game of assists.... Hull did it 200 more game than AO...

By the end of their career I bet AO apg will drop if he keeps playing.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Hull has 0.51 APG
Ovechkin 0.5.09 APG

So yeah stats wise for assists its hard to go against or for one of the other here... they have the same average per game of assists.... Hull did it 200 more game than AO...

By the end of their career I bet AO apg will drop if he keeps playing.

Having 50 assists season is your argument its trash tbh... like 47 assists vs 50 aint much of a difference you agree...

Going by your Pejorative Slured logistic;

Ovechkin has 6 seasons of 40+ assists
Hull has 10 seasons of 40+ assists

SO Hull better passer... Right?

Ovechkin has 8 seasons of 30+ assists
Hull has 14 seasons of 30+ assists

See how stupid it is to look at milestone

AO had 4 consecutive season under 30 assists in this decade.

Hull had 3 season under 30 assists (one rookie season, one lockout, one injured season)

Hull was a better passer than Ovechkin :)

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Having 50 assists season is your argument its trash tbh... like 47 assists vs 50 aint much of a difference you agree...

Going by your ******ed logistic;

Ovechkin has 6 seasons of 40+ assists
Hull has 10 seasons of 40+ assists

SO Hull better passer... Right?

Ovechkin has 8 seasons of 30+ assists
Hull has 14 seasons of 30+ assists

See how stupid it is to look at milestone

AO had 4 consecutive season under 30 assists in this decade.

Hull had 3 season under 30 assists (one rookie season, one lockout, one injured season)

Hull was a better passer than Ovechkin :)

Hulls numbers are inflated because of the era he played in. Compare them to their peers, not raw totals. OV has 3 top 10 assist finishes, Hull has zero. Not that complicated.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I'll just let the poll speak for itself and not waste my time with someone who can't pose a remotely convincing argument for his point. Nostalgia is a helluva drug sometimes.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The 90s duo doesn't have a whole lot going for it.
Oats probably had the higher hockey IQ, but Backstrom is a better skater and can make just of sick of passes.
Ovechkin destroys Hull in so many ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad