Hull & Oates vs Ovechkin & Backstrom

Which duo would you rather have?

• Total voters

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
This is the kind of reply you get when nostalgia is the only argument you have to defend your case.

I bring one argument for Hull and everyone skip it, fun how it works. Its not nostalgia, its a fact that at their best vs best, Hull was a more dominant scoring threat.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Of course he was, doesn't change the fact that Hull was a better player then Ovechkin

Because.....?

I just showed why Hull was able to have higher scoring seasons... scoring was higher then & he had one of the best passers of all time playing with him. Oh and like I said before, Hull only reached 50 goals once or twice after Oates was traded......

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Because.....?

I just showed why Hull was able to have higher scoring seasons... scoring was higher then & he had one of the best passers of all time playing with him. Oh and like I said before, Hull only reached 50 goals once or twice after Oates was traded......

That's what happens when you age.

He was still better then Ovechkin.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Oates is so far ahead of Backstrom it defies all logic

Hull was slightly better then Ovechkin.

Oates/Hull >>>>>> Backstrom/Ovechkin
Ovechkin is a better player than Hull, full stop and Backstrom is a better defensive C than Oates.

Ultimately it's Oates > Backstrom and Ovechkin >> Hull.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Nah it doesn't work like that. Stop posting irrelevant statistics to cover for hyperbole.

Oates was not as good a playmaker as Lemieux or Orr. Fact.

Hull's success was contributed to by Oates, Oates also missed 20 games in Hull's best year. Ergo, Oates while a large factor was not the primary factor behind Hull's success.

Hull is equal in goal scoring to Ovechkin and vastly superior in all other aspects of hockey.

Players used to carry the puck and try to score goals. It was fun to watch.

Now players 'chip the puck in' and 'play good D' while 'doing intangibles'.
You clearly don't watch hockey now, that much is clear. In today's games zone entries carrying the puck is the vastly preferred way to enter the zone and it's supported by analystics, at least in the top 6 anyway. You really only see the bottom 2 lines dump and chasing.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Ovechkin is a better player than Hull, full stop and Backstrom is a better defensive C than Oates.

Ultimately it's Oates > Backstrom and Ovechkin >> Hull.

Wrong on both counts.

Frankly I'd rate them

Oates > Hull > Ovechkin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Backstrom

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
You clearly don't watch hockey now, that much is clear. In today's games zone entries carrying the puck is the vastly preferred way to enter the zone and it's supported by analystics, at least in the top 6 anyway. You really only see the bottom 2 lines dump and chasing.

Nope, very little skill in today's game.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
I kinda agree that AO > Hull overall... But people dismiss that at their peak, Hull is a better goal scoring than AO by a decent margin...
35 goals lead over 2nd place...
Perhaps Oates is a better passer than Backstrom by a decent margin...
Subtract from 86G goals assisted by Oates and Hull's result is 44G.
Subtract from 65G goals assisted by Backstrom and Ovechkin's result is 43G.
Only 1 goal difference in much different scoring eras (3.46 vs 2.78).

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's what happens when you age.

He was still better then Ovechkin.

LOL please... Hull's last 50 goal year was at age 29. Soooo old.

Ovy scored 50 at 30 but then had 49 at 32 & is on pace to score 50 at 33.

Its not hard to realize Hull's goal scoring success at his peak was helped by Oates.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't care about adjusted goals.

Also Hull faced much harder competition to lead the league in goals. Namely 2 guys named Gretzky and Lemieux.

The league today is a joke. Who has won rockets to compete with Ovechkin?

Crosby? Great player but not exactly a goal scorer.
Stamkos? Great slapshot but this guy shouldn't of ever won rockets.
Perry? I mean really...lol

None of these guys would sniff a 'rocket'(since it didnt exist prior to 99) in the 80's or early 90's.

why do you keep saying this?

he never once competed with those guys for the goal scoring lead in any meaningful way,neither of them were even in the top 5 in any of the years he won and he wasn't even in the top 5 in any of the years they won

in addition to that Gretzky was pretty much done as a top goal scorer by the time Hull entered the league and never at any point finished better than 4th in goals while Hull was in the league(and usually much lower)

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I'm not going to sift through it all but Hull is not getting nearly enough respect on page 1. How is Ovechkin significantly better? He had 228 goals in a 3 year span, while playing with Oates. Yea I'll take that.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
LOL please... Hull's last 50 goal year was at age 29. Soooo old.

Ovy scored 50 at 30 but then had 49 at 32 & is on pace to score 50 at 33.

Its not hard to realize Hull's goal scoring success at his peak was helped by Oates.

What point are you trying to make? Haha.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Hull and Oates.

Oates for Craig Janney was the first big trade I remember as a kid.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'm not going to sift through it all but Hull is not getting nearly enough respect on page 1. How is Ovechkin significantly better? He had 228 goals in a 3 year span, while playing with Oates. Yea I'll take that.

That's great. Hull even won an MVP.

But Ovechkin won 2, and nearly a third, along with leading the NHL in PPG for all three years.

And if you compare their careers outside Hull's peak 3 seasons, there is no comparison what-so-ever. Ovechkin blows his doors off with 4 more rockets, another Hart, another Hart runner-up, a Conn Smythe, and a few more elite seasons.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What point are you trying to make? Haha.

That without Oates Hull would have never reached those heights. Hence why he didnt come close to scoring 70 before and after Oates was his linemate.

But Ovechkin won 2, and nearly a third, along with leading the NHL in PPG for all three years.

And if you compare their careers outside Hull's peak 3 seasons, there is no comparison what-so-ever. Ovechkin blows his doors off with 4 more rockets, another Hart, another Hart runner-up, a Conn Smythe, and a few more elite seasons.

Not to mention his 65 goal season is highly regarded, given the era in which it was achieved.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
That without Oates Hull would have never reached those heights. Hence why he didnt come close to scoring 70 before and after Oates was his linemate.

That Oates must have been a pretty damn good player. I guess I have to go with them.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

Those 3 years were the exact 3 years he was able to play with Oates though. The point of the thread.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
why do you keep saying this?

he never once competed with those guys for the goal scoring lead in any meaningful way,neither of them were even in the top 5 in any of the years he won and he wasn't even in the top 5 in any of the years they won

in addition to that Gretzky was pretty much done as a top goal scorer by the time Hull entered the league and never at any point finished better than 4th in goals while Hull was in the league(and usually much lower)

Because Hull faced harder competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad