Hughes vs Kakko vs Dach

#1 in redraft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
again saying dach sees the ice as well as hughes is just an insanely off base take. It’s not even close in terms of vision/IQ/Playmaking ability.... like at all
I feel your take is more off base. Dach has comparable playmaking vision and IQ and it's not wild to even think he does some things better.

Reactions: Dominance

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I feel your take is more off base. Dach has comparable playmaking vision and IQ and it's not wild to even think he does some things better.

kk I’ll just have to take the word of the guys that evaluate prospects for a living over yours and the others making outlandish takes in this thread

sorry :/

Reactions: vtdevils2k

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
kk I’ll just have to take the word of the guys that evaluate prospects for a living over yours and the others making outlandish takes in this thread

Yeah...cuz the evaluation and projection of prospects is always 100% accurate...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Hughes is not a 1C at this level, Dach might be. Between Hughes and Kakko as wingers it depends on what you're looking for I suppose.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Dach is a much more complete player than Hughes. His size and 2way play are too much to ignore. Plus he has dynamic offensive abilities. I was blown away by his skating as a rookie. He’s very fast for a guy that size. Incredible hands too.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Hughes is not a 1C at this level, Dach might be. Between Hughes and Kakko as wingers it depends on what you're looking for I suppose.
And heres the other Hughes hater!

You and Ijuka were quite the combo over the summer, glad to see youre doubling down and taking it further - Dach after one season is clearly the superior talent

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

You and Ijuka were quite the combo over the summer, glad to see youre doubling down and taking it further - Dach after one season is clearly the superior talent

It's not about whether Dach is a superior talent, rather he has what it takes to be a 1C in this league which has superior value. Hughes could still potentially become a good winger.

Reactions: Oneiro

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
It's not about whether Dach is a superior talent, rather he has what it takes to be a 1C in this league which has superior value. Hughes could still potentially become a good winger.
Hughes will be a center contrary to what you talk about, even though Im pretty sure its to get a rise of both NJ and NYR fans

Devils have Nico Hischier they dont need two centers good in the two way game if the other will be scoring points in handfuls

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I'm of this mindset as well. 6'4 RH shot centers are just so rare, Dach gets value boosts for position and handedness. I love his skillset too, he is going to be a force as he matures and rounds out his game. Good situation too where he can learn from Toews, the upside is the highest of the three players in this poll IMO.

I have serious doubts whether Hughes can stay at center. He may be able to overcome his size deficiency to remain in the middle, but he would be an outlier and the odds are stacked against him. If I had to bet, I think he eventually settles on the wing.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Can you find any quotes or words from these professionals that say Dach didn't have comparable vision or hockey sense? I think you'll find if you actually read their critiques of Dach it was consistency and skating that was knocked.
But by all means use "the scouts words"a a cop out and continue making things up to support your beliefs it'll suit you well long term. Don't actually dive into it and do research and form your own opinions that would truly be outlandish as you say.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Can you find any quotes or words from these professionals that say Dach didn't have comparable vision or hockey sense? I think you'll find if you actually read their critiques of Dach it was consistency and skating that was knocked.
But by all means use "the scouts words"a a cop out and continue making things up to support your beliefs it'll suit you well long term. Don't actually dive into it and do research and form your own opinions that would truly be outlandish as you say.

i agree that being on the right side of this discussion will suit me well long term. We can revisit in a couple of years when Jack hughes is consistently putting up higher assist total than Kirby dach

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
i agree that being on the right side of this discussion will suit me well long term. We can revisit in a couple of years when Jack hughes is consistently putting up higher assist total than Kirby dach
If that is the case, couldn't it be because Hughes likely has top 10 skating and top 10 hands in the Word?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
The only skill that Dach has in the big 5 over Hughes is his shot. I don't consider size or strength as a skill, they are assets for sure that help retrieve the puck. When talking skills, Will Scouch has a pretty good way to break it down.
Think, Move, Get, Pass and Shoot

- Better motor
- Better work ethic

Lmao, "better motor". If Hughes were a car, what type would he be? A firefly? You don't consider size or strength a skill but you are okay with just making skills up out of the blue? Size/strength contribute to the "Will Scouch school of skills". Otherwise it's difficult to keep the puck transitioning from his "get" stage to the "pass/shoot" stages, and difficult to enter the "get" stage because you end up losing scums for the puck. I can't imagine your winning the lions share of board battles with a 30+ pound deficit and reach disadvantage.

LOL at "better work eithic". I'd venture a guess that you have no clue which one has a better work ethic. Are you in the gym with them both every day?

Really just sounds like you tried to break "skating" into a bunch of different areas to pump Hughes up. You can just say he is a better skater. Or else someone can break shooting down and say Dach has a better snapshot, wrist shot, one-timer, etc. Doesn't say much

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Lmao, "better motor". If Hughes were a car, what type would he be? A firefly? You don't consider size or strength a skill but you are okay with just making skills up out of the blue? Size/strength contribute to the "Will Scouch school of skills". Otherwise it's difficult to keep the puck transitioning from his "get" stage to the "pass/shoot" stages, and difficult to enter the "get" stage because you end up losing scums for the puck. I can't imagine your winning the lions share of board battles with a 30+ pound deficit and reach disadvantage.
I think it's hilarious you haven't heard motor used to describe how often and how hard players bring it, it's an intagible that nearly all scouts or GM's covet when looking at a player. Fine, have Dach as the player with better get skills, in the new NHL the players that get the puck the best are the ones who are fastest on the puck, not the biggest but agree to disagree.

LOL at "better work eithic". I'd venture a guess that you have no clue which one has a better work ethic. Are you in the gym with them both every day?
I can certainly guess, it is what we are doing on here at all times. I believe Hughes has a better work ethic.

Really just sounds like you tried to break "skating" into a bunch of different areas to pump Hughes up. You can just say he is a better skater. Or else someone can break shooting down and say Dach has a better snapshot, wrist shot, one-timer, etc. Doesn't say much
The game revolves around skating and the different aspects of skating, every part of the game depends on your abilility to get to a high top end speed quickly in all directions. Shooting is really just one aspect of the game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Is one a hater if they question if Hughes can play center? There are a number of people that think he's better off as a winger.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Is one a hater if they question if Hughes can play center? There are a number of people that think he's better off as a winger.
Nothing about Jack’s game speaks to being a winger

Hes great at backchecking and stripping pucks though hell never be good in any zone coverage. And his skating and play style can be most accentuated at center with how hes constantly moving and playing the middle of the ice

He doesnt need to be a perfect center just to play center. He WILL play center and NJ doesnt have a problem with that. Maybe one day if were good enough and a small problem is we need a better faceoff % 2nd line, we can have Hughes play ‘wing’ at puck drop/faceoff and then play center during play.

Jack is as natural a center as you can be without being great defensively

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I didn’t say that. I said they know more than posters on this site, and most posters on this site agree with them. Nice straw man

Saying “they know more than the posters on this site” is like duh level of obvious. Goes without saying. But they still aren’t 100% accurate, therefor just because they said Hughes would be better doesn’t mean it’s bound to be true. Especially when you have a draft without a definitive superstar in the making. With it being a weaker draft at the top you have more of a chance that anyone taken in the top 5 or even top 10 might end up becoming the best of the bunch.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nothing about Jack’s game speaks to being a winger

Hes great at backchecking and stripping pucks though hell never be good in any zone coverage. And his skating and play style can be most accentuated at center with how hes constantly moving and playing the middle of the ice

He doesnt need to be a perfect center just to play center. He WILL play center and NJ doesnt have a problem with that. Maybe one day if were good enough and a small problem is we need a better faceoff % 2nd line, we can have Hughes play ‘wing’ at puck drop/faceoff and then play center during play.

Jack is as natural a center as you can be without being great defensively

Didn’t he play his best hockey of the season when he was moved to wing?

If he’s so great back-checking and stripping pucks, why has he not played any PK in junior or the NHL? Usually if you are even half-decent in those areas when you are a star junior player, you’ll be all situations. I’ve watched him play a lot of hockey, and those parts of his game were what I considered weaknesses. He doesn’t work hard for the team defensively. That’s okay because he’s great offensively, but you don’t want your centers not putting in work all over the ice.

Hughes does not play in the middle of the ice. That’s a joke. One of the most perimeter oriented players I’ve seen in a long time. And that’s not a bad thing when you skate, pass the puck, deke like he can, but it’s a very perimeter oriented approach.

Skating is a valid point, but that can’t be the only basis.

It seems like NJ and NJ fans ignore the concerns with playing him at center because they feel like it would ruin the narrative that they drafted a future 1C. Why not just see the guy for what he is? A player with a lot of offensive skill, but very unlikely to be a center, and a one way player.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Didn’t he play his best hockey of the season when he was moved to wing?

If he’s so great back-checking and stripping pucks, why has he not played any PK in junior or the NHL? Usually if you are even half-decent in those areas when you are a star junior player, you’ll be all situations. I’ve watched him play a lot of hockey, and those parts of his game were what I considered weaknesses. He doesn’t work hard for the team defensively. That’s okay because he’s great offensively, but you don’t want your centers not putting in work all over the ice.

Hughes does not play in the middle of the ice. That’s a joke. One of the most perimeter oriented players I’ve seen in a long time. And that’s not a bad thing when you skate, pass the puck, deke like he can, but it’s a very perimeter oriented approach.

Skating is a valid point, but that can’t be the only basis.

It seems like NJ and NJ fans ignore the concerns with playing him at center because they feel like it would ruin the narrative that they drafted a future 1C. Why not just see the guy for what he is? A player with a lot of offensive skill, but very unlikely to be a center, and a one way player.
He played his worst hockey on the wing, by far.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Some posters are just trying to confirm their priors in this thread.

Namely that Hughes shouldn't have been picked No 1 and that he should be a winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino