Hughes vs Kakko vs Dach

#1 in redraft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Ooofff people are actually all of a sudden taking Dach 1 after one year? I love dach, actually had him 3 all of last year where as most people had him closer to 10, but man stop being so reactionary.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I think it's safe to say that while still to early to make any clear determinations, Dach's skillset is every bit equal to that of Hughes or Kakko. The question now is do you want a 6'4 skilled centerman who can play in the dirty areas as well as set up or deliver highlight reel goals or a 5'10 ultra smooth skating center with silky hands and the ability to orchestrate a deadly powerplay? Tough call but at the end of the day, when all things are equal in the skill department, size comes into play and I'd rather have Dach.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'll stick with Hughes, but I'm very tempted to go Dach. He progressed more this year, and possess as high or potentially higher upside. Hughes got more opportunities compared to Dach too.

I questioned Dach last year, and still do, but he was arguably the biggest boom/bust guy at the top of the draft, since he had all the tools (with questionable work-ethic and game to game consistency), and he removed some of those concerns this year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Garbage mobile website... Should be Dach in title obviously.
Fixed title

I'm kind of curious what the misspelling was. :laugh:

-----

As for the topic, waaaaaay too early I think to start discussing a change in where each should have been drafted. I'd still go Hughes.

Also -- damn necro-bumps. I thought this was a newish topic until I re-read the OP and saw the post date.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
- Better acceleration
- Better edgework
- Better top end speed
- Better playmaking
- Better hockey sense
- Better motor
- Better work ethic
- Better puck skills

Is that what you were looking for? Or is it the ability to create high danger scoring chances on his own. His skating is going to allow him to carve up defenses for years to come, it's a rare combination of skills that only a few NHL'ers have. Sure he has his downfalls but those are things that should get better with time.

I'm sure you will come back with garbage how Dach has better skills and better hockey sense because that is an arbitrary statement but even with Hughes poor season he had the the better underlying numbers.

Edit: I will happily wait till the start of the next season to rejoin you in this argument after Hughes gets 6+ months to put some size on.
He is going to have to take the puck to the middle of the ice at some point to actually use these skills. I wont hold my breath.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The only skill that Dach has in the big 5 over Hughes is his shot. I don't consider size or strength as a skill, they are assets for sure that help retrieve the puck. When talking skills, Will Scouch has a pretty good way to break it down.
Think, Move, Get, Pass and Shoot
- Hughes thinks the game better, there were speed bumps due to the jump from U18 to NHL but with time he will understand what he can get away with and what he can't.
- Hughes certainly moves better, no explanation needed.
- Hughes's speed and motor will allow him to get the puck when he doesn't have it. Even when he turned the puck over his speed and quick hands allowed him to retrieve it quite often.
- Hughes is a dynamic playmaker, very much in the mold of a Barzal with the puck.
- Hughes shot is by far his weakest skill, it will get better with work and maturity but I doubt he is ever better than Dach in this.
Referencing will scouch, yikes. Like that guy knows hockey outside of a bunch of statistics. Also trying to downplay size and strength too. A true internet hockey warrior argument. At some point you need to actually watch the games and identify hockey traits. The two biggest teams in the NHL won the Stanley Cup the last two seasons. Size matters, alot, big players with size take longer to develop too. Its not to say i dont like small players because I do. I dont like small players who dont make up for their lack of size, with high end motor and compete. They also still need to be willing to go to the dirty areas. Jack Hughes did not show me that in multiple viewings.

Meanwhile Dach exuded an elite complete package who was getting substantially better as the season went along. Showing more high end potential, his skill and skating already for a boy his size is very impressive.

Reactions: Dominance

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Ooofff people are actually all of a sudden taking Dach 1 after one year? I love dach, actually had him 3 all of last year where as most people had him closer to 10, but man stop being so reactionary.
I thought he had the highest potential of this draft at the time and he's only reinforced that opinion since than.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Referencing will scouch, yikes. Like that guy knows hockey outside of a bunch of statistics. Also trying to downplay size and strength too. A true internet hockey warrior argument. At some point you need to actually watch the games and identify hockey traits. The two biggest teams in the NHL won the Stanley Cup the last two seasons. Size matters, alot, big players with size take longer to develop too. Its not to say i dont like small players because I do. I dont like small players who dont make up for their lack of size, with high end motor and compete. They also still need to be willing to go to the dirty areas. Jack Hughes did not show me that in multiple viewings.

Meanwhile Dach exuded an elite complete package who was getting substantially better as the season went along. Showing more high end potential, his skill and skating already for a boy his size is very impressive.

It’s weird that you say that the guy who provides a different opinion didn’t watch him. What if he watched REAL GUD like you did and came out with a different opinion?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Dach will end up the best forward from his draft class.

His two way game is already excellent for an NHLer let alone a teenager, he’s going to be such a beast when he fills out into his frame. For WHL comparables he reminded me of a less offensively skilled Draisaitl and Getzlaf, but a better skater and better defensively at the same age.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Dach will end up the best forward from his draft class.

His two way game is already excellent for an NHLer let alone a teenager, he’s going to be such a beast when he fills out into his frame. For WHL comparables he reminded me of a less offensively skilled Draisaitl and Getzlaf, but a better skater and better defensively at the same age.
I'm a Blackhawks fan.
Though this thread is premature, It seems that Dach was actually the most NHL ready of the three, though none truly were. Anyone criticizing Dach's dangles are nutzo. Dach is probably one of the better stickhandlers for a guy 6-2 or taller in the NHL. He's 2nd tier in the entire league in that department, only behind the best of the best like Patrick Kane et al.

I also think Dach is going to be a defensive beast. He's already arguably the best defensive forward on the team at 19 because Toews has slipped a bit. IMO Dach likely has multiple Selkes in his future. I think there are a lot of similarities in his game to Getzlaf and Kopitar. More of a playmaker than a goal scorer, but his dangles are enough that he can make up for it. The only question is how good is he going to get offensively? Is he going to be a 70-75 point guy or will he be something more? If he becomes something more, then he's one of the most complete players in the NHL.

When I watched the Hawks play NJ I think Hughes showed how incredibly skilled he is, despite the lack of results. The jury is out between Hughes and Dach but Kakko was disappointing.

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Picked Hughes, I think he has the biggest upside of the three. In a few years time, I would be surprised to see these 3 in the top 3 of a redraft.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I thought he had the highest potential of this draft at the time and he's only reinforced that opinion since than.

If I remember correctly, it was Bob McKenzie who stated just before Chicago made their selection that Dach had the highest potential of any froward in the draft. We can assume that since he is not a scout himself, this opinion was based on the NHL scouts he did canvas for his rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->