Hughes vs Kakko vs Dach

#1 in redraft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He was more ready than the other two, but that doesn't mean he was ready. He still probably should have had another year development.
He is better, with more upside... His raw package is the most elite. Hughes hates traffic, all the skill in the world but I am not sure he has the compete to be an effective player at his size.

Reactions: Oneiro

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would probably have it Dach, Kakko, Hughes in that order.

I think the stocks of all three have dropped and all had disappointing seasons, although not that much compared to the rest of the top 10 because it’s been a very weak D+1 for the top ten of this draft. A lot of them have been close to equally bad.

I had it Kakko, Hughes, Dach at the draft, but I didn’t see a big separation between the three. I thought Kakko and Hughes would be a lot better early on than they were. Dach was the upside guy later on, but the fact that he’s equaled their seasons and maybe even slightly outproduced them gives him the slight edge right now.

I don’t see much of a reason to change up how I had Kakko and Hughes ranked. Hughes has been slightly more productive, but I expected him to be slightly more productive in their rookie years.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Think a poll would be more interesting between Kakko and Dach for number 2. Should be the next poll. NJ is happy with Hughes. Was always projected to be 2-3 years out. Think it’s interesting between Dach and Kakko. The even split as of right now says everything between the two of them. Toss up.

Chicago was criticized for taking Dach by some over Byram. Think all 3 will be great though

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK27

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I had Dach #1 at one point before the draft, people flipped on me. I have him 3 now, Kakko 1st slightly over Hughes. All 3 are close though.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
highest floor, probably,

highest ceiling????? Easily the lowest out of the three (ceiling means projection so ONE YEARS worth of stats doesn’t mean anything)
How many WHL games of his did you watch? When did you become aware of his existence? What are his greatest strengths and weaknesses? What about Hughes and Kakko?

With this reply I am confident that you know nothing whatsoever about Dach. It’s funny that you propose that I am blindly making my opinion from one season’s worth of statistics when I am certain that your own was formulated from nothing more than draft position and a couple lines of text on the Internet here or there.

“EASILY the lowest out of the three!” :popcorn:

Reactions: Section88

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
This makes ZERO sense to change your mind from Dach, Hughes, Kakko to Kakko, Hughes, Dach after this past season. Just strange.

Please re-read my original comment.

“at one point” (...2018)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think everyone should be admitting that Kakko and Hughes have had disappointing seasons. If you can’t admit that, it’s pointless to even discuss it because it’s such a basic thing anyone should be able to admit. But I think the majority of people will not disagree with that.

What I don’t agree with are the increasing majority of people that insist that Dach had a good season. He was a top 3 pick that was on pace for less than 30 points over an 82 game season and he didn’t even play such low minutes. There was a lot of discussion about that early in the season and it was a valid argument that he wasn’t playing enough, but so far he’s only playing one second less per game than Kakko did. It’s not garbage minutes he played this season.

And I say that as someone who now thinks that Dach is the best of the three and also had him ranked much higher than most at the draft. I think he had the best overall season of the three, but I think we should set a standard first and then apply the players to the standard. We shouldn’t start at looking for a standard that paints a certain player favorably, and then applying that standard the season the player had. Some try to do that.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Now that the season's over, which player would you have #1 in a re-draft?

Way too early to tell, flip a 3 sided coin and you need to add a too close to call option.

But if pressed I'll take Dach but really it could be any of them or a guy outside of those 3 as the best player of the last draft.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hughes still has the highest ceiling offensively. His combination of skating, puck skills and vision still project him to be an elite point producer. The red flags with his game are quite evident however. Strength on the puck and shooting need to get better, I assume they will just as they did with Barzal however if they don't he will be a 2nd line one dimensional scorer.

As of today, NJ wouldn't change their pick and NYR wouldn't change their pick.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
How many WHL games of his did you watch? When did you become aware of his existence? What are his greatest strengths and weaknesses? What about Hughes and Kakko?

With this reply I am confident that you know nothing whatsoever about Dach. It’s funny that you propose that I am blindly making my opinion from one season’s worth of statistics when I am certain that your own was formulated from nothing more than draft position and a couple lines of text on the Internet here or there.

“EASILY the lowest out of the three!” :popcorn:

draft position so soon after the draft does mean a lot for the record, everyone drafts for ceiling and it still hasn’t changed imo,

he has 2 points more than Hughes in like 3 more games, so to say he’s vaulted Hughes in terms of ceiling is ridiculous, unless you though Dach had the highest ceiling at the time of the draft as well?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think everyone should be admitting that Kakko and Hughes have had disappointing seasons. If you can’t admit that, it’s pointless to even discuss it because it’s such a basic thing anyone should be able to admit. But I think the majority of people will not disagree with that.

What I don’t agree with are the increasing majority of people that insist that Dach had a good season. He was a top 3 pick that was on pace for less than 30 points over an 82 game season and he didn’t even play such low minutes. There was a lot of discussion about that early in the season and it was a valid argument that he wasn’t playing enough, but so far he’s only playing one second less per game than Kakko did. It’s not garbage minutes he played this season.

And I say that as someone who now thinks that Dach is the best of the three and also had him ranked much higher than most at the draft. I think he had the best overall season of the three, but I think we should set a standard first and then apply the players to the standard. We shouldn’t start at looking for a standard that paints a certain player favorably, and then applying that standard the season the player had. Some try to do that.

This is a very fair, honest and accurate assessment coming from an apparent Rangers fan. I agree with this and I still have faith in all of these kids.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I would probably have it Dach, Kakko, Hughes in that order.

I think the stocks of all three have dropped and all had disappointing seasons, although not that much compared to the rest of the top 10 because it’s been a very weak D+1 for the top ten of this draft. A lot of them have been close to equally bad.

I had it Kakko, Hughes, Dach at the draft, but I didn’t see a big separation between the three. I thought Kakko and Hughes would be a lot better early on than they were. Dach was the upside guy later on, but the fact that he’s equaled their seasons and maybe even slightly outproduced them gives him the slight edge right now.

I don’t see much of a reason to change up how I had Kakko and Hughes ranked. Hughes has been slightly more productive, but I expected him to be slightly more productive in their rookie years.
Huh? Kakko had the more productive rookie year
RaR2gjm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->