Hughes vs Kakko vs Dach

#1 in redraft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Theres a somewhat difference between hockey sense (IQ) and vision

Jack’s vision is world class and what McKenzie and everyone watching prospects raves about the most next to his skating. His hockey sense is above average id agree but nothing crazy, since he doesnt see the two way game as much

Hischiers hockey sense and IQ are much higher than Jacks but Jacks vision is off the charts
Interesting take. I don't disagree, but the terms are obviously subjective. How do you define the difference between IQ/sense and vision?

The way I would is:

IQ/sense - knowing the "right" play more often than not, in all parts of the ice.

Vision - seeing opportunities to do things that most don't see, regardless of zone, but mainly offensively.

Is that how you differentiate between the two? There's clearly some overlap, but that's the best distinction I could think of.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Interesting take. I don't disagree, but the terms are obviously subjective. How do you define the difference between IQ/sense and vision?

The way I would is:

IQ/sense - knowing the "right" play more often than not, in all parts of the ice.

Vision - seeing opportunities to do things that most don't see, regardless of zone, but mainly offensively.

Is that how you differentiate between the two? There's clearly some overlap, but that's the best distinction I could think of.
Id split all three

IQ - more thought-based, predictive understanding of the game. Such as thinking steps ahead, positioning, and that utility mindset

Sense - more repetition-based, reactionary understanding of the game. Such as the ability to react effectively, quickly process transitions in play, essentially the ability to react without much thought or time

Vision is clearly its own category. Perception of angles and pathways including depth and velocity needed, ability to assess positioning of multiple players while moving, and a general overseeing of the ice and transitions

the other two are almost indistinguishable, though all three coexist.

Jack’s trait order would be vision>Sense>IQ while Nico’s would be IQ>Sense>Vision

Reactions: CanadianSharks

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Id split all three

IQ - more thought-based, predictive understanding of the game. Such as thinking steps ahead, positioning, and that utility mindset

Sense - more repetition-based, reactionary understanding of the game. Such as the ability to react effectively, quickly process transitions in play, essentially the ability to react without much thought or time

Vision is clearly its own category. Perception of angles and pathways including depth and velocity needed, ability to assess positioning of multiple players while moving, and a general overseeing of the ice and transitions

the other two are almost indistinguishable, though all three coexist.

Jack’s trait order would be vision>Sense>IQ while Nico’s would be IQ>Sense>Vision
Again, interesting take. I'm all for being precise about what you say. That's something I need to work on personally.

Reactions: Swiss Prodigy

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Dach, worst #1 and #2 pick since what? the 2002 draft. I expect Kirby to be the better player now and the rest of their careers. I don’t care about Jacks guaranteed zone entries or whatever Devils fans are trying to flex.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Dach, worst #1 and #2 pick since what? the 2002 draft. I expect Kirby to be the better player now and the rest of their careers. I don’t care about Jacks guaranteed zone entries or whatever Devils fans are trying to flex.
If Jack put up 60 points in 30 college games, would you think differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad