Hughes vs Kakko vs Dach

#1 in redraft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Clearly a premature thread, there's not nearly enough to go off of. Not to mention there are still several other names that could wind up as best player in the draft, or best center, etc.

There was never any doubt, before the draft or after, that Dach was the most NHL ready of the three. I think people are confusing NHL readiness and overall potential. Not nearly enough has changed from the time of the draft to really re-evaluate the top three and none of you had Dach going number 1 before the draft.

I still take them in the order they went. It may take Hughes a little longer, but he'll get there. That said, I still think all three end up being great players in the league, all three teams did well.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Clearly a premature thread, there's not nearly enough to go off of. Not to mention there are still several other names that could wind up as best player in the draft, or best center, etc.

There was never any doubt, before the draft or after, that Dach was the most NHL ready of the three. I think people are confusing NHL readiness and overall potential. Not nearly enough has changed from the time of the draft to really re-evaluate the top three and none of you had Dach going number 1 before the draft.

I still take them in the order they went. It may take Hughes a little longer, but he'll get there. That said, I still think all three end up being great players in the league, all three teams did well.
Im pretty sure Kakko was widely regarded as the most NHL ready

Plus was Dach even expected to go top-3 by most??

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I wouldn’t change the order they were drafted in. Let’s wait until they’re in their early 20s before we think about this. None were on very good teams and were very young. They all have great potential, Dach definitely rose his stock the most, but I think Hughes still has the most upside.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I think it's safe to say that while still to early to make any clear determinations, Dach's skillset is every bit equal to that of Hughes or Kakko. The question now is do you want a 6'4 skilled centerman who can play in the dirty areas as well as set up or deliver highlight reel goals or a 5'10 ultra smooth skating center with silky hands and the ability to orchestrate a deadly powerplay? Tough call but at the end of the day, when all things are equal in the skill department, size comes into play and I'd rather have Dach.

saying dachs skill set is equal to jack hughes is a wilddddd take

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The jury is out between Hughes and Dach but Kakko was disappointing.

lol, the jury is still out is as funny as Kakko was disappointing. They’re all 19 years old. A redraft and they go in the same order. Dach would not be selected before Kakko while Hughes can accelerate and change direction on a dime.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
saying dachs skill set is equal to jack hughes is a wilddddd take

And why would that be?? Yes, Hughes's edge work and agility make him a better skater than Dach but it's not like Dach is even remotely a bad skater so a small edge to Hughes. In terms of puck skills, I would say they are very close. Shot definitely goes to Dach. IQ and sense is also very close. The ablility to play a 200 foot game....easily Dach.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
And why would that be?? Yes, Hughes's edge work and agility make him a better skater than Dach but it's not like Dach is even remotely a bad skater so a small edge to Hughes. In terms of puck skills, I would say they are very close. Shot definitely goes to Dach. IQ and sense is also very close. The ablility to play a 200 foot game....easily Dach.
Hughes’ vision and offensive sense blow Dach’s out of the water - come on now

And Hughes’ skating allows him to be a top player in the league at zone exits and entries at 18 - just wait until he has a team around him and the points will start piling

Dach is an insane talent as well but lets not claim a guy who was supposed to be a pick 5-7 is now equal to the consensus #1 after one year

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Which was really not a well-thought out opinion.

tl;dr: people thought the Finnish league was as tough physically as the NHL
He needed to add weight to his frame thats for sure, though Ill admit I was part of the hivemind that he would transition much better than the other two because of his play against men

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He needed to add weight to his frame thats for sure, though Ill admit I was part of the hivemind that he would transition much better than the other two because of his play against men
That’s exactly the issue. He was getting knocked over like a fly all year. But the hands...my god, the hands.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
That’s exactly the issue. He was getting knocked over like a fly all year. But the hands...my god, the hands.
‘Is that one of those cat toys over in the corner cradling the puck back and forth faster than I can watch?’

‘No thats Kaapo’

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Hughes’ vision and offensive sense blow Dach’s out of the water - come on now

And Hughes’ skating allows him to be a top player in the league at zone exits and entries at 18 - just wait until he has a team around him and the points will start piling

Dach is an insane talent as well but lets not claim a guy who was supposed to be a pick 5-7 is now equal to the consensus #1 after one year

The number one pick does not always end up as the best pick in the draft. Hughes vision and offensive "sense" in no way, shape or form blow Dach's out of the water as Dack is a very very adept set up man and see's the ice equally well as Hughes. Hughes may indeed become the better offensive player but Dach's potential to develop into a big, strong, skilled center who can play the game any which way will always make him a compelling case for the best player in the 19 draft.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
The number one pick does not always end up as the best pick in the draft. Hughes vision and offensive "sense" in no way, shape or form blow Dach's out of the water as Dack is a very very adept set up man and see's the ice equally well as Hughes. Hughes may indeed become the better offensive player but Dach's potential to develop into a big, strong, skilled center who can play the game any which way will always make him a compelling case for the best player in the 19 draft.

again saying dach sees the ice as well as hughes is just an insanely off base take. It’s not even close in terms of vision/IQ/Playmaking ability.... like at all

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
again saying dach sees the ice as well as hughes is just an insanely off base take. It’s not even close in terms of vision/IQ/Playmaking ability.... like at all
Hughes doesn't have a super high IQ. With his skating and hands, dont you think he would score more than 20 points if he did?

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Hughes doesn't have a super high IQ. With his skating and hands, dont you think he would score more than 20 points if he did?
Youre seriously going to let one season change what everyone knows as practically fact?

Youre really trying hard to bend reality to your will here.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

definitely has nothing to do with physical immaturity at all. Great reply!

If you watched him play you surely know what I’m talking about

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
definitely has nothing to do with physical immaturity at all. Great reply!

If you watched him play you surely know what I’m talking about
Hughes isnt a super high IQ player at all. Good vision but overall IQ isnt half of Pettersson, Crosby, Aho.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Hughes game relies a lot more on raw puck skills, skating and playmaking than hockey sense. I don't think his hockey sense is bad. In fact, I'd say its above-average, but I don't think its anything too great. It won't lose him value in the league, but I don't see it gaining any more than very marginal value in this area compared to the rest of the league. I think there's an incorrect narrative that since Hughes went 1OA that he must have a world class hockey sense. I don't see it as such. His raw skills are outrageous. How he processes the game is above-average. If you go through the different 1OA's through the years, I don't think they all had elite hockey IQ.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
I think Hughes game relies a lot more on raw puck skills, skating and playmaking than hockey sense. I don't think his hockey sense is bad. In fact, I'd say its above-average, but I don't think its anything too great. It won't lose him value in the league, but I don't see it gaining any more than very marginal value in this area compared to the rest of the league. I think there's an incorrect narrative that since Hughes went 1OA that he must have a world class hockey sense. I don't see it as such. His raw skills are outrageous. How he processes the game is above-average. If you go through the different 1OA's through the years, I don't think they all had elite hockey IQ.
Theres a somewhat difference between hockey sense (IQ) and vision

Jack’s vision is world class and what McKenzie and everyone watching prospects raves about the most next to his skating. His hockey sense is above average id agree but nothing crazy, since he doesnt see the two way game as much

Hischiers hockey sense and IQ are much higher than Jacks but Jacks vision is off the charts

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is Dach like the next Getzlaf type centre?
Is Jack Hughes more a winger at the NHL?
I really like Kakko, and was surprised he had such a poor year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Theres a somewhat difference between hockey sense (IQ) and vision

Jack’s vision is world class and what McKenzie and everyone watching prospects raves about the most next to his skating. His hockey sense is above average id agree but nothing crazy, since he doesnt see the two way game as much

Hischiers hockey sense and IQ are much higher than Jacks but Jacks vision is off the charts

At least we found something to agree about.

Reactions: Swiss Prodigy

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Same order still. Too bad they didn't all get another season before the NHL like they needed then we could have better compared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad