Hudler, Filppula and Brunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
One thing I've been smiling is how Senators have collapsed, and rumours will say they are missing some veteran leadership and have lost some consistency because of it...

Agreed. They've clearly taken it to heart considering they only seem to try against us, lol.

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
So Hudler is doing quite well, still basically PPG. Filppula seems to have returned to his 66 pt. season form.

So what is going on with Brunner? 8 pts in 26 gms, -8. He started off well but has something like 4 pts in his last 22 games. Has anybody been watching him?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So Hudler is doing quite well, still basically PPG. Filppula seems to have returned to his 66 pt. season form.

So what is going on with Brunner? 8 pts in 26 gms, -8. He started off well but has something like 4 pts in his last 22 games. Has anybody been watching him?

He is still a poor defensive player and has not fit well in New Jersey.

Still would take him over Cleary, though. :laugh:

crashman

Brunner is irrelevant. He provided us some excitement last year as a 1-dimensional scorer that was enjoying his cup o' coffee, but he's not a NHL player.

Huds was a good secondary scorer in Detroit, but I like the ceilings of Tatar and Nyquist a lot more than Hudler. I don't miss him one bit and letting him walk was the right move.

Letting go of Filppula was a mistake, I think it's safe to say that at this point.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Brunner is irrelevant. He provided us some excitement last year as a 1-dimensional scorer that was enjoying his cup o' coffee, but he's not a NHL player.

Huds was a good secondary scorer in Detroit, but I like the ceilings of Tatar and Nyquist a lot more than Hudler. I don't miss him one bit and letting him walk was the right move.

Letting go of Filppula was a mistake, I think it's safe to say that at this point.

Assuming Filppula would continue scoring points and playing well for us under Babcock for 5 years, sure.

But we don't know that.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris

Hudler has slown down signficantly. He was on a streak of 9 games with at least a point. He had 19 points in his first 17 games and 6 points in his last 10 games.

Filppula has been pretty consistent this season. Will probably hit 20-25 goals and 60 points. We could probably use him with all his injuries, but I'm not giving up on Weiss less than half way through his first year of a five year contract.

crashman

Assuming Filppula would continue scoring points and playing well for us under Babcock for 5 years, sure.

But we don't know that.

True, but I believe he already was a solid player. He had a bad season last year because of a pretty serious injury during the lockout. I think a lot people overlooked his injury because it happened overseas, and credit to him for not using it as an excuse for his bad play, but I think it did effect him. He was only trending upward until it happened and was forced to play though it because it was his contract year.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Filppula has been pretty consistent this season.

he started by looking like Datsyuk and currently looks like one-hipped Leino. I guess he's consistant in a sense that he has gotten points somewhat regularly (though some of the early points were from PP which currently looks god awful aswell) but overall play has been like day and night. No idea how that happens.

iwtb*

Stop bullcrap. Filppula has been great until these few maube 4 games. And in those games hole Bolts team was terrible.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
he started by looking like Datsyuk and currently looks like one-hipped Leino. I guess he's consistant in a sense that he has gotten points somewhat regularly (though some of the early points were from PP which currently looks god awful aswell) but overall play has been like day and night. No idea how that happens.

Besides one horrible giveaway in Columbus he's been very good and it's refreshing watching a center play defense which is something Lecavalier didn't do. Not sure where the thought that he's playing bad came from but it's not true.

Johnz96*

Besides one horrible giveaway in Columbus he's been very good and it's refreshing watching a center play defense which is something Lecavalier didn't do. Not sure where the thought that he's playing bad came from but it's not true.

The guy is just making stuff up.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
Took this from the game thread...

I can take bets against, that Filppula won't score +55 point at this season, even though he has had this great start.

Those stats are just so inflated when I've been looking how will they happen.

"Blah, blah,blah"

This is really a funny situation. Like how Stephen Weiss creates chances, and he doesn't have any kind of puck luck with his bounces. Put Filppula in TOP6 with Cleary and you'll see the same results.

You can always say that stats won't lie. But, in this case, they will. 80 games will tell the truth better. I believe more of the evidence of Filppula's 500 games at Detroit and Weiss 500 games at Florida, than this 15 game span at this season.

I will take that bet eany day of the week, 24/7.

This is fun site, try to compare Flip and Weiss :sarcasm: -> http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/i...trength=&_suid=138672066373402701668413405999

Dekemeister

Sep 12, 2010
Based off stuff I've heard Filppula wanted out, so its doubtful we could have reasonably held onto him

Plus, he came off an extremely down year (probably connected to him wanting out) and never really seized that #2 C spot with any consistency.

I like him as a person and player from what I've seen and I'm happy for his success in Tampa, but I think its questionable if he replicates that play here in Detroit had we held onto him

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Filppula 14g 16a, on pace for 63 points. Looks real goooooooood

Good for him. But I can tell you right now no way he even has half as many points in Detroit and people would be calling for him to be traded once again.

I look at it like Tatar or Nyquist replaced Fippula's production this seasaon. I don't think having him on this team this year changes much in the standings.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Good for him. But I can tell you right now no way he even has half as many points in Detroit and people would be calling for him to be traded once again.

I look at it like Tatar or Nyquist replaced Fippula's production this seasaon. I don't think having him on this team this year changes much in the standings.

i don't agree with this at all.

production likely goes down, yes. he's gotten lot of points on pp.

tatar and nyquist don't play C and don't battle for the same spot.

wings have missed 2nd line C badly, outside the short stretch that helm played out of his mind and euro twins have been split up.

Johnz96*

Well that certainly wouldn't have been his fault.
The Lightning have been trying to spread the wealth with Stamkos injured and he leads the second line with MSL the cornerstone on the first, and they use Fil as a shutdown guy matching him against the opponents top line, mostly playing with guys that the Griffs beat in the Calder Cup last year.
With Stamkos injured he has been centering the first PP line and he leads the Lightning in PP points having scored more than anybody on the Wings.
He does have 18 ES strength points only 2 behind Red Wing leader Datsyuk.

I wonder how many players on the Wings this year aren't producing half of what they are capable of.

Last edited by a moderator:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Well that certainly wouldn't have been his fault.
The Lightning have been trying to spread the wealth with Stamkos injured and he leads the second line with MSL the cornerstone on the first, and they use Fil as a shutdown guy matching him against the opponents top line, mostly playing with guys that the Griffs beat in the Calder Cup last year.
With Stamkos injured he has been centering the first PP line and he leads the Lightning in PP points having scored more than anybody on the Wings.
He does have 18 ES strength points only 2 behind Red Wing leader Datsyuk.

I wonder how many players on the Wings this year aren't producing half of what they are capable of.

he's been mostly with purcell and killorn.

i count only 14 ES points but that doesn't include empty netters.

Johnz96*

Learn to count.
I just checked his game log only 2 (a goal and an assist) of his 18 ES points were scored on an EN and none of his 12 PP points were.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Learn to count.
I just checked his game log only 2 (a goal and an assist) of his 18 ES points were scored on an EN and none of his 12 PP points were.

wasn't my counting it was the source (extraskater, usually very reliable).

they didn't have the latest rangers game in flip's stats and they also have him with one SH point, though he doesn't seem to have one.

Johnz96*

wasn't my counting it was the source (extraskater, usually very reliable).

they didn't have the latest rangers game in flip's stats and they also have him with one SH point, though he doesn't seem to have one.

Sorry for being a bit testy there. I have been following Fil closely in TB this year (to corroborate my hypothesis about his worth and ability since he has been with the Wings and he has been as good as I have been telling people he has here and esp at RWC for years now Same with Hudler) and I don't remember him scoring so many EN points so I checked it out to confirm.
Upon doing so, I figured you were just probably making stuff up to downplay his worth.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sorry for being a bit testy there. I have been following Fil closely in TB this year (to corroborate my hypothesis about his worth and ability since he has been with the Wings and he has been as good as I have been telling people he has here and esp at RWC for years now Same with Hudler) and I don't remember him scoring so many EN points so I checked it out to confirm.
Upon doing so, I figured you were just probably making stuff up to downplay his worth.

none taken.

i've also followed him quite a bit. arguably MVP after bishop for tampa this year.

Johnz96*

I shouldn't have said mostly.
What I meant is that a lot of the players that were with the Crunch last year made the Lightning at the start of the season and are regulars there now and with the rash of injuries even more of them have had significant roles. At one point more half of the defense played in the CCF last year.
Although he didn't play in the CCF last year even Killorn spent most of last year with the Crunch before being promoted and Fil has also played a lot with Johnson (he's a good little player, MLS jr.?)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I shouldn't have said mostly.
What I meant is that a lot of the players that were with the Crunch last year made the Lightning at the start of the season and are regulars there now and with the rash of injuries even more of them have had significant roles. At one point more half of the defense played in the CCF last year.
Although he didn't play in the CCF last year even Killorn spent most of last year with the Crunch before being promoted and Fil has also played a lot with Johnson (he's a good little player, MLS jr.?)

yeah. tampa has been out of this world with their drafting. almost all yzerman picks have raised their stocks since they have been drafted. and they have made tremendous undrafted pickups (sustr, brown, conacher, johnson, korobov possibly too etc)

i think the transition from AHL to NHL was made easier because they got their cup of coffee last year and copper was their coach there most of the time. i don't think griffins would've won the series if crunch were healthy (also mrazek was difference maker). not a knock against griffins. but imo it's not fair to compare them on just that series. GR kids are coming year later, getting a look this year and hopefully ready next year.

and from those finals wings do have quite many regulars; whole first line, lashoff and dekeyser. crunch had basically the same amount on their starting roster.

killorn was only down because of lockout. wouldn't have spend second there otherwise.

johnson could be st. louis lite imo.

though they do make their share of mistakes, i'm impressed how cooper coached them. most are legit nhlers, panik has struggled mostly and barberio early on.

connolly hasn't still broken out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino