Hudler, Filppula and Brunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I think it's safe to say the wings would've been better off signing Filppula to the contract he has in Tampa, than getting Weiss to his current contract.

No, it isn't safe to say. We are not even halfway into the first season of what is going to be multiple years of their contracts. Why does it have to be decided right now?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No, it isn't safe to say. We are not even halfway into the first season of what is going to be multiple years of their contracts. Why does it have to be decided right now?

Some dude in 2010:
"I think it's safe to say Montreal won the Gomez trade. He scored 59 points in the regular season and 14 points in 19 games in the playoffs. Meanwhile McDonagh's not even in the NHL."

You could even push that over 2 years that Gomez was way more useful and productive as a player. Obviously in year 3, 4, 5, and beyond things have taken quite the turn.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
i have no problem waiting 2 to 3 years to evaluate the trade, however, I have a strong feeling there are many here stating the above who would be praising Holland and ripping into Flip if Weiss had 15 pts at this stage and he only had 3

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
i have no problem waiting 2 to 3 years to evaluate the trade, however, I have a strong feeling there are many here stating the above who would be praising Holland and ripping into Flip if Weiss had 15 pts at this stage and he only had 3

Well short term it would be looking good, that's for sure. However we would also have to assume Franzen wasn't having such a terrible year and Alfredsson had some chemistry with him, neither of which is the case.

Either way, it is unfair to judge posters in general based on what you think they would say under a completely different set of circumstances. What should matter is whether or not what they are saying now is accurate based on the actual circumstances.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If we would have signed Fil, everybody would be complaining why we did it because he would probably not have produced like he has in Tampa.

He is in a new environment with a different system and players on that team actually WANTS to shoot the puck, Fil is a playmaker and in his recent years in detroit, nobody wants to shoot the puck. Including Fil himself.

Well, we acquired a shooter in Alfredsson, so I guess if they would have had good chemistry Fils numbers would be up. Otherwise things would be the same.

Precisely.

But Alfredsson isn't a shooter. In the past 5 seasons, he's averaged about 2.1 shots a game. Among forwards, this is where he has ranked in the past 5 years in shots/game.

This year: 119th
12/13: 119th
11/12: 78th
10/11: 196th
09/10: 105th

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Hudler and Filppula are two assets that I'm comfortable pointing the finger directly at the head coach for mismanaging in a pretty obvious way.

Two glaring examples...

Hudler, one of the premier players in the NHL on the side boards, never played there on the PP, yet the slowest smallest player on the team, a playmaker, was regularly played on the point.

and...

Filppula was converted to a winger.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hudler, one of the premier players in the NHL on the side boards, never played there on the PP, yet the slowest smallest player on the team, a playmaker, was regularly played on the point.

You know what, we already have two better players for the same role. I'll let you guess who these two players they are. But every can't be from same mold to have a good team balance.We didn't have that role open for him, like Calgary currently has.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
You know what, we already have two better players for the same role. I'll let you guess who these two players they are. But every can't be from same mold to have a good team balance.We didn't have that role open for him, like Calgary currently has.

Can't think of anyone. Obviously Datsyuk, but I wouldn't call the sideboards his specialty, he has so much range.

I don't think there are any players similar to Hudler on the team.

I do think it's true that the coach does not have/was never willing to have a role for a player like Hudler in his system. But it's a system we've been losing with for years now, and it's starting to look more and more like we're not going to win 16 playoff games at any point relying on 3 guys to singlehandedly create offense while the rest of the lineup plays checkers.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Damien Brunner

Not sure where to put this, couldn't find a thread. Mods sorry and feel free to move.

Who were Brunner's primary line mates last year?

Thank you and good luck!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Not sure where to put this, couldn't find a thread. Mods sorry and feel free to move.

Thank you and good luck!

per ice time, zetterberg, franzen and filppula.

early on he was with zetterberg and dats. but because rest of the team couldn't score those two were split up and he was on a line with zett and franzen then. then he started to slow down at the end and was demoted to third line with andersson and nyquist what was the line at the playoffs where they were pretty good.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Noticed Brunner has been stuck on 7 points for while now. He was kind of streaky here last year too. Seems like he got those 7 points in the first 10 games this year.

Fil is a having a good year at Tampa, but not sure he would have done that here

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

Thank you and good luck!

Started the season with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, then when Datsyuk and Zetterberg split lines he played IIRC mostly with Zetterberg and Filppula or Franzen. After that when he went cold for a long stretch I don't remember who he was with but he was with Nyquist and Andersson when he started to heat up at the end of the season/playoffs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Fil is a having a good year at Tampa, but not sure he would have done that here

Not at center. I think he could have had another productive year as a winger here though.

But it was clear they wanted to go out and get somebody to hold down the 2C spot. And I think Weiss will do better than he has so far. So all in all, it's whatever.

RedWingsNow*

Thank you and good luck!

Zetterberg in the first half of the regular season. Andersson and Nyquist in the second half of the season. Nyquist and Andersson in the playoffs (led our team in scoring). He stayed on the first unit of the powerplay most of year as far as I remember.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
OT, but also about an old Wing. It's sometimes easy to complain about the moves Holland has made. Trading Ville Leino, however, was a good one. 34 points in 92 games since leaving Philly while making 4,5M through '16-'17. Buyout next summer, or injured like Sammy? Time will tell

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
OT, but also about an old Wing. It's sometimes easy to complain about the moves Holland has made. Trading Ville Leino, however, was a good one. 34 points in 92 games since leaving Philly while making 4,5M through '16-'17. Buyout next summer, or injured like Sammy? Time will tell

And that Leino-trade netted a 5th rounder for us that we used for promising propect Mattias Bäckman. Leino was signed for free.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I miss Filppula. Underrated puck carrier by many, or at least the asset of puck carrying is underrated.

I always felt like Babcock should have played him with Datsyuk more often. They had flashes of brilliance together yet were never given an extended look.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
I always liked Filppula and wanted them to resign him, especially considering he only got $100,000/year more than Weiss.

I'm willing to give Weiss more time but I'm very concerned with his play. He doesn't seem to have much speed in his game and really hasn't shown much offensively. He reminds me way too much of Cleary at this point.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I always liked Filppula and wanted them to resign him, especially considering he only got $100,000/year more than Weiss.

I'm willing to give Weiss more time but I'm very concerned with his play. He doesn't seem to have much speed in his game and really hasn't shown much offensively. He reminds me way too much of Cleary at this point.

It's not all on detroit that he didn't sign here, I think he wanted to go to a more wide open system. Babs asks a lot from our centers and I think flip wanted to get away from that

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Brunner: 7P in 22GP
Alfie: 16P in 20GP

MOD.

One thing I've been smiling is how Senators have collapsed, and rumours will say they are missing some veteran leadership and have lost some consistency because of it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad