Hudler, Filppula and Brunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
yeah. tampa has been out of this world with their drafting. almost all yzerman picks have raised their stocks since they have been drafted. and they have made tremendous undrafted pickups (sustr, brown, conacher, johnson, korobov possibly too etc)

i think the transition from AHL to NHL was made easier because they got their cup of coffee last year and copper was their coach there most of the time. i don't think griffins would've won the series if crunch were healthy (also mrazek was difference maker). not a knock against griffins. but imo it's not fair to compare them on just that series. GR kids are coming year later, getting a look this year and hopefully ready next year.

and from those finals wings do have quite many regulars; whole first line, lashoff and dekeyser. crunch had basically the same amount on their starting roster.

killorn was only down because of lockout. wouldn't have spend second there otherwise.

johnson could be st. louis lite imo.

though they do make their share of mistakes, i'm impressed how cooper coached them. most are legit nhlers, panik has struggled mostly and barberio early on.

connolly hasn't still broken out.

So Yzerman knows what he's doing?

:naughty::naughty:

Johnz96*

yeah. tampa has been out of this world with their drafting. almost all yzerman picks have raised their stocks since they have been drafted. and they have made tremendous undrafted pickups (sustr, brown, conacher, johnson, korobov possibly too etc)

i think the transition from AHL to NHL was made easier because they got their cup of coffee last year and copper was their coach there most of the time. i don't think griffins would've won the series if crunch were healthy (also mrazek was difference maker). not a knock against griffins. but imo it's not fair to compare them on just that series. GR kids are coming year later, getting a look this year and hopefully ready next year.

and from those finals wings do have quite many regulars; whole first line, lashoff and dekeyser. crunch had basically the same amount on their starting roster.

killorn was only down because of lockout. wouldn't have spend second there otherwise.

johnson could be st. louis lite imo.

though they do make their share of mistakes, i'm impressed how cooper coached them. most are legit nhlers, panik has struggled mostly and barberio early on.

connolly hasn't still broken out.

Killorn did spend time in Syracuse after the lockout was over.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So Yzerman knows what he's doing?

:naughty::naughty:

Depends on how much you attribute drafting to the GM. According to this board all good picks should fall directly on the scouting staff, and all bad picks should fall directly on the GM. :sarcasm:

Johnz96*

Other than Weiss, I don't really think that's the case for anybody.

Every coach Bendan Smith has ever had utilized to his strengths and played him more in offensive situations and on the PP. Blashill didn't even play him at all SHed but always had him on the top PP unit. It's what is he is good at. Some PP time would increase his production and thus his confidence and thus his overall game.
The amount of ice-time alotted to Bertuzzi, Cleary, Miller, Abdelkader, Andersson, and others has compromised the effectiveness and development of better players such as Tatar and Nyquist

zamo86*

Dont know where to post this, but former Red Wings Jan Mursak has switched clubs and has signed a two year deal with CSKA Moscow.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i think smith should have been given a look at pp but imo he's not really good at it. lacks the vision. and shot. though would like to see him above kindl unless he gets his mojo back.

imo tatar's and nyquist usage has been fine since the start.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Looks like Fils might be having the kind of season we all wished he would have here as a Red Wing. Getting close to a ppg average. I don't know if he ever would have done it here but I like the guy and wish him well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looks like Fils might be having the kind of season we all wished he would have here as a Red Wing. Getting close to a ppg average. I don't know if he ever would have done it here but I like the guy and wish him well.

To be fair....

He was only given 1 lockout-shortened season with no training camp to try to replicate his 60+ pt season.

AND

He started that season coming off of an MCL injury.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
To be fair....

He was only given 1 lockout-shortened season with no training camp to try to replicate his 60+ pt season.

AND

He started that season coming off of an MCL injury.

on the other had players usually hit their career high in points before 30

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
1+1 for Filppula last night. He has now 5+7 in his last 8 games. Seems to me that Finnish players just aren't a good fit in Swedish-dominated Red Wings.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
1+1 for Filppula last night. He has now 5+7 in his last 8 games. Seems to me that Finnish players just aren't a good fit in Swedish-dominated Red Wings.

He's also getting an insane amount of TOI the likes of which he'd never see in Detroit. His 24 minutes of TOI last night in a run of the mill game was Crosby-esque.

Johnz96*

He's also getting an insane amount of TOI the likes of which he'd never see in Detroit. His 24 minutes of TOI last night in a run of the mill game was Crosby-esque.

He should have been allotted similar ice-time here instead of giving it to PsOS.
And wth is a 'run of the mill game' supposed to mean???

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He should have been allotted similar ice-time here instead of giving it to PsOS.

ES ice time isn't that different, think it was actually lower when stamkos was healthy. didn't check the though so not 100% sure and there might have been some change in past few weeks or so. pp ice time is different. flip was mostly in similar position regards to that area when stamkos was healthy. with zett and dats it wouldn't have made much sense to have him there or use him as tampa is using him; with tampa he has brought something they didn't/don't have there. and he was mostly with second unit when stamkos was healthy.

not that i always agree with babs usage of players.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Filppula has now 17 goals, could easily break his old record of 23 even before Olympic break, 15 games left. Quite amazing, considering that he doesn't even play with Stamkos and Marty St. Louis, well I guess he has played at the same PP unit with St. Louis now since Stamkos has been injured, but still.

In a recent little finnish interview Filppula says that the atmosphere is more relaxed in Tampa, as in you don't get benched so easily as in Detroit if you make mistakes: http://www.suomikiekko.com/2014/01/valtteri-filppula-taalla-virheista-ei-joudu-sivuun/

He also claims that he has been playing just the same under every coach, both Babcock and Cooper.

Johnz96*

Filppula has now 17 goals, could easily break his old record of 23 even before Olympic break, 15 games left. Quite amazing, considering that he doesn't even play with Stamkos and Marty St. Louis, well I guess he has played at the same PP unit with St. Louis now since Stamkos has been injured, but still.

In a recent little finnish interview Filppula says that the atmosphere is more relaxed in Tampa, as in you don't get benched so easily as in Detroit if you make mistakes: http://www.suomikiekko.com/2014/01/valtteri-filppula-taalla-virheista-ei-joudu-sivuun/

He also claims that he has been playing just the same under every coach, both Babcock and Cooper.

He is. Cooper thinks he is a better player than Babcock did and is utilizing him more effectively.

crashman

Letting Filppula walk was a stupid decision. I understand the roster needed a little shake up, but Filppula should not have been been the odd man out. Not sure what Holland was thinking, but people around here judged him by his contract season which he was dealing with a pretty serious injury. It sucks really.

I'm not all that shocked about the Hudler olympic snub, I never thought he was a guy you wanted to depend on in playoff style situations. I wonder what Eva thinks of all this? ;)

Brunner...1 and done (not even 1, a half season). Just like I expected, no regrets there.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Letting Filppula walk was a stupid decision. I understand the roster needed a little shake up, but Filppula should not have been been the odd man out. Not sure what Holland was thinking, but people around here judged him by his contract season which he was dealing with a pretty serious injury. It sucks really.

It's not like the Wings refused to make him an offer and told him to hit the bricks, Babcock said they offered him a 7 year deal (can't remember the $ figure but IIRC it was around 4.5-5/per) but HSJ was reporting that Flip was demanding 1st line C money from the Wings.
I think he wanted out more than the Wings wanted to let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad