How will you feel if Washington wins the #1 pick in 2012, with the pick from Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Lahey*

Long term?

Hishon - could be a 70 point guy
Jones - likely a solid 65 point guy
Mueller - likely a 50-70 point guy
Landeskog - a minimum 50 point guy
Elliott - a likely 40-50 point defender
Barrie - a likely 35-45 point defender

Long term, this team has stockpiled a number of solid offensive assets....

Likely 40-50 point defenders? 9 defenseman reached the 50 point plateau, and only 28 made the 40 point plateau. Those are pretty steep predictions. I know Elliot lit if up in the W but still...

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Other than the sisters and Kesler, you guys don't have any LONG TERM LEGIT SUPER MAN SCORING THREATS either.

It's about an offense with depth. That's why there are players like Jones, Mueller, Hejduk, O'Reilly, Galiardi, Landeskog, Kobasew, Lindstrom, Winnik.

Everyone can chip in and contribute. It's far from the Stastny and Duchene show. They just happen to be the pivots in the middle that keep the engine going.

You're right, we don't have any other long term legit super man scoring threats either except Burrows. I won't deny it because it's true.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Other than the sisters and Kesler, you guys don't have any LONG TERM LEGIT SUPER MAN SCORING THREATS either.

It's about an offense with depth. That's why there are players like Jones, Mueller, Hejduk, O'Reilly, Galiardi, Landeskog, Kobasew, Lindstrom, Winnik.
Everyone can chip in and contribute. It's far from the Stastny
and Duchene show. They just happen to be the pivots in the
middle that keep the engine going.

Those names don't really scream offense. Most teams have more and better proven players.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
mueller for flash

landeskog for stewart

were not expecting landeskog to step in and potentially score 35 goals which stewart will likely do next year, but landeskog is a similar type player who will play a top 6 pwf role and at this point in each of their careers when they got drafted, landeskog has an even higher ceiling at the time of their respective drafts

and as good as flash was with duchene, mueller was that much better if he can stay healthy,if not look for olver or hishon to potentially step in

You're replacing someone who missed the entire season last year and someone with zip NHL experience. You guys are placing a lot on huge question marks.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
And this is why this board is such a joke.

Right now you're putting VERY generous tags on players who haven't even played a single game in the NHL. What you're doing is beyond laughable.

Hishon hasn't played a single NHL game and you're saying he could hit 70 points already. Jones who had ONE good year who only hit 45 points is now likely to become a 65 point forward. Peter Mueller, someone hasn't played a single game last year and has never past the 54 point mark is now a likely 50-70 point candidate. Landeskog is now likely a 50 point guy despite not playing a single game in the NHL. Elliot and Barrie are likely to become top notch offensive defenseman according to you but they have not played a single game in the NHL.

I did say legit.

Extra extra: Rebuilding team in expecting prospects to be able to contribute shocker!

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

Everyone can chip in and contribute. It's far from the Stastny and Duchene show. They just happen to be the pivots in the middle that keep the engine going.

Nobody on that list has even done anything offensively except Hejduk. Others are either depth players that are dime a dozen in this league or unproven.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
You're right, we don't have any other long term legit super man scoring threats either except Burrows. I won't deny it because it's true.

I believe Burrows is a product of his linemates but that's an argument for a different time.

But thanks for proving my point that you score with depth.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Extra extra: Rebuilding teams do not trade their first round picks for unproven goalies!

Extra Extra: Varlamov is pretty proven when it comes to his actualy goaltending abilities. Every time he has played, he's been pretty damn good. Him staying healthy is the only question mark and I guess the Avs believe that he will.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Yeah I know no one else will play this year, but Landeskog is the most NHL ready prospect from the draft for a reason.

He is another more than capable body that will play in our top six this season and could be a darkhorse calder candidate.

Add guys like Kobasew and Hejda as free agents along with getting guys like Mueller and Galiardi back 100% healthy, plus adding Hishon from junior and we have much more depth than we did last year.

You aren't showing me any evidence here that you can back up any of your talk there buddy.

Converse or quit wasting my time. It's clear you have no true grasp over what the Avs depth is like at this point in time.

Yes, we are missing guys like Flash and Stewart up front, but we have added a large number of healthy bodies that will be able to step in and more than fill their shoes.

You've added some depth does make you a better team but not significantly better. Your offense is mediocre, your defense is mediocre and you're goalies are question marks. Not to mention about 8 teams are better than you in the West which will make it very difficult to jump much from the standings.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
As of now yes outside of Duchene and Stastny you have no long term legit scoring threat. If so, please do name some if what I'm saying is really a complete joke.

Joey Hishon, 2nd in OHL PPG.
Gabriel Landeskog, 2nd overall pick.
Stefan Elliot, WHL Defensemen of the year (80+ points in WHL)
Tyson Barrie, WHL Runner-up Defensemen of the year, 2010 WHL Defensemen of the year.

Peter Mueller; 20 points in 15 games in 2009-2010 season with the Avs.
TJ Galiardi; Avalanche's Ryan Kesler, who had an injury riddled year.
Erik Johnson; former 1st overall pick, 10 points in 22 games with the Avs last season.

All of them are considered long-term scoring threats no?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
You've added some depth does make you a better team but not significantly better. Your offense is mediocre, your defense is mediocre and you're goalies are question marks. Not to mention about 8 teams are better than you in the West which will make it very difficult to jump much from the standings.

I never said anything about climbing in the standings. I never said anything about being a playoff team. Could we be? Sure. But I still don't think we will be...more likely a 9 or 10 seed in the west.

Does that make the trade for Varly an awful trade? Well, that really depends.

As for the depth, sure it's not elite depth but depth is depth and it's depth that we never had last season when we were torn apart with over 400 man games lost...many of which were to key guys like Stewart and Fleischmann.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Extra Extra: Varlamov is pretty proven when it comes to his actualy goaltending abilities. Every time he has played, he's been pretty damn good. Him staying healthy is the only question mark and I guess the Avs believe that he will.

Extra Extra: A goalie who has never surpassed 27 games in a single season has proven nothing. Playing a large amount of games wears the body down and we have yet to see how he fairs with a full season. Not to mention Cory Schneider had a better year than Varlamov but is far from a proven goalie.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
How will you feel if Washington wins the #1 pick in 2012, with the pick from Colorado

I'll feel something like this:

"Greg Sherman is the biggest idiot of the league"

But I don't see Avs pick being lottery pick at all.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Tyson Barrie, WHL Runner-up Defensemen of the year, 2010 WHL Defensemen of the year.

Erik Johnson; former 1st overall pick, 10 points in 22 games with the Avs last season.

:laugh:

Four people on the list have proven absolutely NOTHING. Mueller has not played for a year and that is way too small of a sample size to judge on how he'll do this year. Galiardi... Ryan Kesler? Just no.. Erik Johnson who has been struggling to prove his #1 defenseman position with a small sample size means nothing.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010

thats a strectch

if galiardi is a poor mans kesler i'll be happy

canucks22

Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I don't know why everyone thinks Colorado is going to do so bad. If Varlamov stays healthy, this team is playoff bound and may make some noise.

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010
Scoring has never been our problem. We may not have big name stars but we have depth. Stastny, Duchene, Hejduk, Jones, Mueller, and Landeskog are all capable of 20+ goals. The defense has always been our problem. We have addressed that now. Out are Liles, Hannan, Cumiskey, Foote, Hunwick, etc and in are EJ, Hejda, Quincey, Elliot, O'byrne. As for goaltending, Anderson carried us in 09-10. But his game went to hell in 10-11 and we ended up with a tandem of Budaj/Elliot. Well now we have an actual legit starter in Varlamov and a good back-up in Giguere. I find it hard to believe we will be in a lottery position as JohnHodgson so passionately believes.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Scoring has never been our problem. We may not have big name stars but we have depth. Stastny, Duchene, Hejduk, Jones, Mueller, and Landeskog are all capable of 20+ goals. The defense has always been our problem. We have addressed that now. Out are Liles, Hannan, Cumiskey, Foote, Hunwick, etc and in are EJ, Hejda, Quincey, Elliot, O'byrne. As for goaltending, Anderson carried us in 09-10. But his game went to hell in 10-11 and we ended up with a tandem of Budaj/Elliot. Well now we have an actual legit starter in Varlamov and a good back-up in Giguere. I find it hard to believe we will be in a lottery position as JohnHodgson so passionately believes.

I don't passionately believe you guys will finish in a lottery position, but there are clearly 7/8 teams in the West that are better than you guys at this point. I just find it laughable that some fans believe this team will make the playoffs. It's a definite longshot.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Nobody on that list has even done anything offensively except Hejduk. Others are either depth players that are dime a dozen in this league or unproven.

jones would have been 3rd on your team in scoring last year despite playing 10 games less than your 2 40 goal scorers.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
:laugh:

Four people on the list have proven absolutely NOTHING. Mueller has not played for a year and that is way too small of a sample size to judge on how he'll do this year. Galiardi... Ryan Kesler? Just no.. Erik Johnson who has been struggling to prove his #1 defenseman position with a small sample size means nothing.

That's my opinon. He played amazing in the San Jose playoff series. Maybe Kesler lite.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but your definition of proven seems off. I can't describe it in any other way.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I never said anything about climbing in the standings. I never said anything about being a playoff team. Could we be? Sure. But I still don't think we will be...more likely a 9 or 10 seed in the west.

Does that make the trade for Varly an awful trade? Well, that really depends.

As for the depth, sure it's not elite depth but depth is depth and it's depth that we never had last season when we were torn apart with over 400 man games lost...many of which were to key guys like Stewart and Fleischmann.

I just can't grasp the fact that the 2nd worst team would trade their first round pick next year for an unproven goalie. I don't believe you guys will finish much better than last year but every has an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad