How will you feel if Washington wins the #1 pick in 2012, with the pick from Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Technically you are correcct.

Yeah, but the Avs staff don't think they are question marks. It's based around players they have scouted, worked to get and are now committed to.

I guess we'll have to believe them and hope they are right.

And for the record, their offense isn't really "mediocre" outside of Duchene-Stastny. They were the highest scoring team in the first half of last season for a reason, and it wasn't all those two players.

The reason they were the highest scoring team in the first half of last season? Tomas Fleischmann, Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk, John Michael Liles. Currently none of them are on the Colorado roster.

And yes Avs staff have an entirely different mindset from the normal HFboards poster I would think. Outside of Duchene-Stastny they really have no long term threat in scoring. The closest player is David Jones at this moment but he has had only one good year under his belt.

Phenom97

Feb 27, 2011
Canada
I've replied to him in other threads. He knows nothing about the state of the Avs.

Management and fans have seen how good the team played last year before 11 of their 23 roster players got injured and Forsberg went through that whole circus. We are not a lottery team, and if I were a betting man, as long as they stay relatively healthy, the Avs will make the playoffs.

(still no cup in 40 years)

Just give up arguing with them, its rather obvious they dont know what there talking about.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
It doesn't help when your team has been bad and your playing with AHL level players. His rookie year he had good players and he put up 79. He isn't injury riddled either. Blocking shots doesn't equal being injury riddled.

Then don't block shots. It's not his job to.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
The reason they were the highest scoring team in the first half of last season? Tomas Fleischmann, Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk, John Michael Liles. Currently none of them are on the Colorado roster.

In all fairness here, Shattenkirk joined a little later on in the season. Stewart was injured, which led us to trade for Fleischmann, who then got injured lol.

Liles was the only consistent one, but I'd say Mueller and EJ will make up for his PP work.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I've replied to him in other threads. He knows nothing about the state of the Avs.

Management and fans have seen how good the team played last year before 11 of their 23 roster players got injured and Forsberg went through that whole circus. We are not a lottery team, and if I were a betting man, as long as they stay relatively healthy, the Avs will make the playoffs.

(still no cup in 40 years)

This whole we were in the hunt in December thing is getting old. Do you guys not realize maybe your team had a hot start and just came back down to earth? Or its not possible and it's ALL because of the injuries that occurred that brought your team all the way to 2nd last? You are not a lottery team, but you JUST were 2nd last in the NHL not too long ago. And because management and fans are always right. You NEVER trade your first round pick a year later if you JUST became the second last team in the NHL. And this is why Kessel is brought up a lot. Regardless the state of your team, you have a legit shot at being bottom 5 again. There are just so many Colorado fans in denial, this reminds me of Toronto/Phil Kessel trade. The fans kept talking about how their team is solid and will contend for the playoffs. Guess how that turned out?

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Don't know why Colorado didn't spend some money to get Vokoun instead. In my opinion they are not completely done a rebuild. Their defense is really mediocre at best besides EJ and he still hasnt proven to be a legit #1 defenseman. The offense is mediocre besides Stastny and Duchene. Hejduk will be retiring soon so he won't have much of a impact long-term wise. They are counting on ROR, Landeskog, Hishon and Mueller to be impactful when they have really less experience. Their offense is full of question marks, their defense is full of question marks and now your goalie position is filled with question marks.

yeah there will be alot of question marks for a team that had over 400 man games lost last year

your thinking too much on the if

what if crosby is done, what if malkins knee is bummed forever, i can do that all day as well. your not proving much.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
In all fairness here, Shattenkirk joined a little later on in the season. Stewart was injured, which led us to trade for Fleischmann, who then got injured lol.

Liles was the only consistent one, but I'd say Mueller and EJ will make up for his PP work.

Stewart, Shattenkirk and Liles were in your top 5 scoring for the first half the season if I can recall correctly.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010

Ej was better on the powerplay anyways, shattenkirk started to fizzle before he got traded to the blues and probably would have made his way out of the lineup had our D not been so terrible last year , but after he was traded he was once again lights out like the first 20 games of the season when he joined our team

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
yeah there will be alot of question marks for a team that had over 400 man games lost last year

your thinking too much on the if

what if crosby is done, what if malkins knee is bummed forever, i can do that all day as well. your not proving much.

I put question marks on certain players who didn't even play last year, so your man games injured makes no relevant to my point.

Landeskog, ROR, EJ, Varlamov have either little to no experience in the NHL. And if they are really part of the core they better be damn good.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
If Colorado can stay healthy, I dont see why they wouldnt be able to make the playoffs. This deal does add value back to young goaltenders thou.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
This whole we were in the hunt in December thing is getting old. Do you guys not realize maybe your team had a hot start and just came back down to earth? Or its not possible and it's ALL because of the injuries that occurred that brought your team all the way to 2nd last? You are not a lottery team, but you JUST were 2nd last in the NHL not too long ago. And because management and fans are always right. You NEVER trade your first round pick a year later if you JUST became the second last team in the NHL. And this is why Kessel is brought up a lot. Regardless the state of your team, you have a legit shot at being bottom 5 again. There are just so many Colorado fans in denial, this reminds me of Toronto/Phil Kessel trade. The fans kept talking about how their team is solid and will contend for the playoffs. Guess how that turned out?

Wow.

We didn't start blowing until OUR ENTIRE TEAM GOT INJURED. It's not like we finished second last with an NHL worthy line-up. We had Brandon Yip, Kevin Porter, and Mark Olver in our top 6 for the last 15-20 games. Not to mention that we had Brian Elliot and Peter Budaj splitting time as our starter after the all-star break. I'd say Varlamov/Giguere can do better than those two bums.

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006

And yes Avs staff have an entirely different mindset from the normal HFboards poster I would think. Outside of Duchene-Stastny they really have no long term threat in scoring. The closest player is David Jones at this moment but he has had only one good year under his belt.

And those players you have named are being replaced with a healthy Peter Mueller, a healthy TJ Galiardi, a top prospect in Joey Hishon, a top prospect in Gabriel Landeskog, a top prospect in either Elliott or Barrie and a player in Erik Johnson who will now have a full training camp with the team under his belt.

Scoring won't be a problem for this team, just like it wasn't last year.

To say that Stastny-Duchene are the only two players that "are a long term threat" for scoring is a complete joke and it really shows that you:

A - Don't understand the Avs roster and organizational depth chart

or

B - Are just trying to get under people's skin

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006

We went south when we got decimated by injuries.

You mention guys like Stewart and Fleischman being "so key for us"...but guess what? They were hurt for HUGE chunks of the year for us and that contributed to our tumble.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I put question marks on certain players who didn't even play last year, so your man games injured makes no relevant to my point.

Landeskog, ROR, EJ, Varlamov have either little to no experience in the NHL. And if they are really part of the core they better be damn good.

ror has 2 and ej has 3 years in the nhl, landeskog is unproven, but being a number 2 pick, chances are he should be an asset to the club

and varlamov has been hott when he's been healthy, but hes like everyone's willing to admit a bit more of a risk

and ror has been lights out for us, jordan staal with less offensive production.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Wow.

We didn't start blowing until OUR ENTIRE TEAM GOT INJURED. It's not like we finished second last with an NHL worthy line-up. We had Brandon Yip, Kevin Porter, and Mark Olver in our top 6 for the last 15-20 games. Not to mention that we had Brian Elliot and Peter Budaj splitting time as our starter after the all-star break. I'd say Varlamov/Giguere can do better than those two bums.

So why are you guys just constantly blaming juries? Using it as an excuse for the bad place in the standings? Injuries happen to EVERY team. If your team had more depth then you could actually sustain injuries. The entire core of the Canucks defense besides Ehrhoff was injury plauged throughout the season. Hamhuis and Bieksa missed about 20 games each, Edler missed about 30, Salo missed about 50 games and we still managed to achieve first place in the regular season. If you think injuries was just the problem in your bad performance and that your team will do significantly better you are up for a disappointment.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
We went south when we got decimated by injuries.

You mention guys like Stewart and Fleischman being "so key for us"...but guess what? They were hurt for HUGE chunks of the year for us and that contributed to our tumble.

You mention that you guys were in the playoff hunt in December and were first in scoring and I shot right back at you that these two guys contributed immensely in that. Now that both are gone who are you going to replace them with?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
So why are you guys just constantly blaming juries? Using it as an excuse for the bad place in the standings? Injuries happen to EVERY team. If your team had more depth then you could actually sustain injuries. The entire core of the Canucks defense besides Ehrhoff was injury plauged throughout the season. Hamhuis and Bieksa missed about 20 games each, Edler missed about 30, Salo missed about 50 games and we still managed to achieve first place in the regular season. If you think injuries was just the problem in your bad performance and that your team will do significantly better you are up for a disappointment.

You can't compare the Canucks depth to the Avs depth. Now you are just being ignorant.

The Canucks were EXPECTED to be a deep and contending team. They had the depth to suffer through the injuries.

The Avs were expected to be a borderline playoff team. They had a ton of injuries and didn't have the depth.

They have addressed that depth through free agency and through the draft this year and we are much much deeper now then we were at this time last year.

You are truly proving that you are only here to rev up a rival fanbase.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
And those players you have named are being replaced with a healthy Peter Mueller, a healthy TJ Galiardi, a top prospect in Joey Hishon, a top prospect in Gabriel Landeskog, a top prospect in either Elliott or Barrie and a player in Erik Johnson who will now have a full training camp with the team under his belt.

Scoring won't be a problem for this team, just like it wasn't last year.

To say that Stastny-Duchene are the only two players that "are a long term threat" for scoring is a complete joke and it really shows that you:

A - Don't understand the Avs roster and organizational depth chart

or

B - Are just trying to get under people's skin

As of now yes outside of Duchene and Stastny you have no long term legit scoring threat. If so, please do name some if what I'm saying is really a complete joke.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
You can't compare the Canucks depth to the Avs depth. Now you are just being ignorant.

The Canucks were EXPECTED to be a deep and contending team. They had the depth to suffer through the injuries.

The Avs were expected to be a borderline playoff team. They had a ton of injuries and didn't have the depth.

They have addressed that depth through free agency and through the draft this year and we are much much deeper now then we were at this time last year.

You are truly proving that you are only here to rev up a rival fanbase.

Through the draft this year? No one in the draft will play in the NHL besides Landeskog. I'm glad you guys have re-stocked your depth but you guys still aren't a great team.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
You mention that you guys were in the playoff hunt in December and were first in scoring and I shot right back at you that these two guys contributed immensely in that. Now that both are gone who are you going to replace them with?

mueller for flash

landeskog for stewart

were not expecting landeskog to step in and potentially score 35 goals which stewart will likely do next year, but landeskog is a similar type player who will play a top 6 pwf role and at this point in each of their careers when they got drafted, landeskog has an even higher ceiling at the time of their respective drafts

and as good as flash was with duchene, mueller was that much better if he can stay healthy,if not look for olver or hishon to potentially step in

R S

Sep 18, 2006
As of now yes outside of Duchene and Stastny you have no long term legit scoring threat. If so, please do name some if what I'm saying is really a complete joke.

Long term?

Hishon - could be a 70 point guy
Jones - likely a solid 65 point guy
Mueller - likely a 50-70 point guy
Landeskog - a minimum 50 point guy
Elliott - a likely 40-50 point defender
Barrie - a likely 35-45 point defender

Long term, this team has stockpiled a number of solid offensive assets....

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
All teams face injuries. Mostly teams near the bottom. Teams that are top 5 are usually there because of injuries. Ottawa was doing very well then Spezza got injured. Edmonton had their share of injuries as well which lead to many losses.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Through the draft this year? No one in the draft will play in the NHL besides Landeskog. I'm glad you guys have re-stocked your depth but you guys still aren't a great team.

Yeah I know no one else will play this year, but Landeskog is the most NHL ready prospect from the draft for a reason.

He is another more than capable body that will play in our top six this season and could be a darkhorse calder candidate.

Add guys like Kobasew and Hejda as free agents along with getting guys like Mueller and Galiardi back 100% healthy, plus adding Hishon from junior and we have much more depth than we did last year.

You aren't showing me any evidence here that you can back up any of your talk there buddy.

Converse or quit wasting my time. It's clear you have no true grasp over what the Avs depth is like at this point in time.

Yes, we are missing guys like Flash and Stewart up front, but we have added a large number of healthy bodies that will be able to step in and more than fill their shoes.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Long term?

Hishon - could be a 70 point guy
Jones - likely a solid 65 point guy
Mueller - likely a 50-70 point guy
Landeskog - a minimum 50 point guy
Elliott - a likely 40-50 point defender
Barrie - a likely 35-45 point defender

Long term, this team has stockpiled a number of solid offensive assets....

And this is why this board is such a joke.

Right now you're putting VERY generous tags on players who haven't even played a single game in the NHL. What you're doing is beyond laughable.

Hishon hasn't played a single NHL game and you're saying he could hit 70 points already. Jones who had ONE good year who only hit 45 points is now likely to become a 65 point forward. Peter Mueller, someone hasn't played a single game last year and has never past the 54 point mark is now a likely 50-70 point candidate. Landeskog is now likely a 50 point guy despite not playing a single game in the NHL. Elliot and Barrie are likely to become top notch offensive defenseman according to you but they have not played a single game in the NHL.

I did say legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->