Speculation: How will the Ducks do in 2019-2020 season?

Ducks?

• Total voters

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I'm quite optimistic about the Ducks' season next year. They're playoff bound. If people like using recent past history, then why not do splits of last season?

RC
  • Games: 56
  • Record: 21 -36-9
  • GF: 124 (2.21 GF/G, 31st overall)
  • GA: 179 (3.20 GA/G, 22nd overall)

Bob
  • Games: 26
  • Record: 14-11-1
  • GF: 72 (2.77 GF/G, 21st overall)
  • GA: 69 (2.65 GA/G, 5th overall)

Bob didn't have Pettersson at all during his coaching debut. He had Montour for 6 games and Guhle for 6 games, neither overlapping, obviously. So we had our top-3 blueliners in Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler with whoever was available, which included Larsson.

After a rough start of 9 games, Bob and Ducks finished 11-5-1. Both Terry and Steel looked better on their second stint with the NHL club in 2018. With that under their belt, that only builds confidence for those two plus Jones. Then there's also Comtois chomping at the bit.

Plus, the Ducks now have far more depth at center, especially if Lundestrom will be playing in San Diego.

So keep the defense, keep improving the offense, and maybe we start another run of winning the Pacific Division all over again.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I'm quite optimistic about the Ducks' season next year. They're playoff bound. If people like using recent past history, then why not do splits of last season?

RC
  • Games: 56
  • Record: 21 -36-9
  • GF: 124 (2.21 GF/G, 31st overall)
  • GA: 179 (3.20 GA/G, 22nd overall)

Bob
  • Games: 26
  • Record: 14-11-1
  • GF: 72 (2.77 GF/G, 21st overall)
  • GA: 69 (2.65 GA/G, 5th overall)

Bob didn't have Pettersson at all during his coaching debut. He had Montour for 6 games and Guhle for 6 games, neither overlapping, obviously. So we had our top-3 blueliners in Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler with whoever was available, which included Larsson.

After a rough start of 9 games, Bob and Ducks finished 11-5-1. Both Terry and Steel looked better on their second stint with the NHL club in 2018. With that under their belt, that only builds confidence for those two plus Jones. Then there's also Comtois chomping at the bit.

Plus, the Ducks now have far more depth at center, especially if Lundestrom will be playing in San Diego.

So keep the defense, keep improving the offense, and maybe we start another run of winning the Pacific Division all over again.
I can see it!

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Last season was on RC and his archaic coaching style and system. That was probably one of the worst coaching jobs in Ducks History. It’s also on BM for allowing it.

I’m optimistic for the season simply because the Ducks will be playing an actual viable NHL system.

Man RC sucked!!

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I am also optimistic. Getting Steel, Terry, Jones, Sprong all games in the NHL last year will help. They should all take a step forward and contribute. They need Larsson to move into a top 4 role though, which i am not sure will happen this year.

I will actually bet on them to win the SC (at long odds), thinking they are good enough to make the playoffs now, and hopefully make a trade at the deadline. I think the following year will be a better year, but if you make the playoffs with a hot goalie, anything can happen. They do have enough talent to make the playoffs. They are better than last year, and once RC was let go they actually were a decent team.

We are only 1 year removed from 101 points. That team on offense did not look any better than the current team, defense was much deeper though.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I see nearly half the voters have the Ducks in the playoffs

Just for context, would be great to hear from the posters that voted this way post their projected playoff team projections
Last year we had:
1. Flames
2. Sharks
3. Golden Knights
1. Predators
2. Jets
3. Blues
WC - Dallas
WC - Colorado

Looking from the bottom up, Colorado obviously got better, Stars will be better with Pavelski and a year older defense-core, the Knights will have gotten better with the addition of Stone, and the Flames and Sharks had a 20-point cushion last year.
Looking directly below, the Coyotes, who finished 9th with their backup goalie and 2C out of the lineup now have a healthy starter and 2C, and added Kessel. Chicago, who finished 10th with their backup goalie now added Lehner and a questionably healthy Crawford back.
I don't doubt Minnesota and Vancouver falling, but my question is who does Anaheim leapfrog to get into the playoffs, and why?

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

Just for context, would be great to hear from the posters that voted this way post their projected playoff team projections
Last year we had:
1. Flames
2. Sharks
3. Golden Knights
1. Predators
2. Jets
3. Blues
WC - Dallas
WC - Colorado

Looking from the bottom up, Colorado obviously got better, Stars will be better with Pavelski and a year older defense-core, the Knights will have gotten better with the addition of Stone, and the Flames and Sharks had a 20-point cushion last year.
Looking directly below, the Coyotes, who finished 9th with their backup goalie and 2C out of the lineup now have a healthy starter and 2C, and added Kessel. Chicago, who finished 10th with their backup goalie now added Lehner and a questionably healthy Crawford back.
I don't doubt Minnesota and Vancouver falling, but my question is who does Anaheim leapfrog to get into the playoffs, and why?
Im honestly just not sold on Cgy or SJ. Both teams are flawed and they disnt do anythibg to remedy them. Both have questionable at best goaltending. SJ lost their heart and sole captain top defensive forward and 30 goal scorer. Even LV has major questions on their own blue line. I see the Pacific as wide open.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019

Last year we had:
1. Flames
2. Sharks
3. Golden Knights
1. Predators
2. Jets
3. Blues
WC - Dallas
WC - Colorado

As one of those who voted that not only do the Ducks make it in, but win a round - here goes. It's hard to give final rankings, but here are my thoughts about each division in the West:

In the Pacific - I believe both the Flames and the Sharks will struggle mightily. For their record. CGY never struck me as a team that could turn it on when they really needed it, and much of the division is better this year. They will not be top-3. The Sharks I think finish 4th, mainly because I don't believe EK will be the savior everyone thinks he is. I tend to subscribe to Tyler Dellow's theory (backed by some serious number crunching) that he actually has a negative affect on a goalie's SV%. Jones went from average numbers to a .896 last season; I don't think that gets much better. Also, I think losing Pavelski will hurt a good bit more than many think. Vegas I think wins the division. Their blue line is weaker than ours, but their system requires that EVERYBODY play both sides of the puck. They also have some very potent scoring potential in Stone, Wild Bill, Marchessault and Alex Tuch. With Raanta back in as starter and the scoring of Kessel, I think Arizona is ready to make a splash. And the Ducks - as someone pointed out above, this team is not that different from the team that bagged 101 points 2 seasons ago. Losing Perry and a hobbled Kesler is addition by subtraction IMHO. They're being replaced by kids who could very well be ready to deliver on their upside. Look for AZ and ANA in 2 and 3.

And here are some guesses for the Central - DAL, STL and either COL or NSH in the top-3; and COL/NSH and WPG 4-5.

OK, so have at me! But share your own thoughts, too!

Reactions: DavidBL

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018

Last year we had:
1. Flames
2. Sharks
3. Golden Knights
1. Predators
2. Jets
3. Blues
WC - Dallas
WC - Colorado

At least someone here gets its. The other teams in the Pacific got better or will remain better and the Ducks did nothing to improve. f*** the bullshit coach excuse. We have fans here trying to say Calgary is overrated when they had 5 players with 70+ points. The Norris winning defenseman w/ 74 pts in 78 games. The Ducks did absolutely nothing to improve. We’ll probably be here using the same bullshit injury excuse since Kesler and Eaves will sit out all year again. If only we could have predicted that 3 years ago.

“This team is not that different than the team that logged 101 points”... Mothaf***a, are you high? That has to be a joke. This team is nothing like 2 years ago. Let alone a year ago. You’re counting on a bunch of children that have put up .5 pts per game at best.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
At least someone here gets its. The other teams in the Pacific got better or will remain better and the Ducks did nothing to improve. **** the bull**** coach excuse. We have fans here trying to say Calgary is overrated when they had 5 players with 70+ points. The Norris winning defenseman w/ 74 pts in 78 games. The Ducks did absolutely nothing to improve. We’ll probably be here using the same bull**** injury excuse since Kesler and Eaves will sit out all year again. If only we could have predicted that 3 years ago.

“This team is not that different than the team that logged 101 points”... Motha****a, are you high? That has to be a joke. This team is nothing like 2 years ago. Let alone a year ago. You’re counting on a bunch of children that have put up .5 pts per game at best.
Flames added lucic, plan the parade.

Sharks and knights didnt exaxtly improve much either

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Flames added lucic, plan the parade.

Sharks and knights didnt exaxtly improve much either
When the Sharks eventually do implode in 3 years its gonna be ugly for them.
All that money tied to Martin Jones, Brent Burns, Vlasic, Couture, who will be a shell of their former selves in 3 years.
In 3 years Burns will be 37, Vlasic 35, Jones 32, Couture 33. They haven't developed a top pairing D in such a long time.
So 3 to 4 years from now Karlsson might request a trade.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Comparison from two years ago, assuming last year was an outlier. We dont have the veteran leadership, but from a production standpoint, I just see a top 4 D as the only thing missing from being as good. Assuming 4th lines are equitable.

Offense
Same players and production as 2017

Getz
Rakell
Silf
Rico

Players who will improve
Ritchie (i could see a 20 G, 45 pt year for him)
Kase (I think he is going to be a 35 goals, 60 pt player this year)

Players to replace
Perry 17G 49pt - Replace with Terry (May not get to 49pts, but i could see 35)
Kesler 8G 14pt (44 games hobbled) - Replace with Steel (Should easily exceed points, but not intangibles)
Vermette 8G 16pt - Replace with Jones (Not same position, but i actually am high on Jones this year)
Cogs 12G 35pt - Replace with Sprong (different role but i think he should reach 30pts)

Defense
Same players and production

Fowler
Lindholm
Manson

Need to replace
Beauch - (Need to find Fowler partner)
Bieksa - Replace with Larsson/Del Zotto
Montour - Replace with Guhle (I dont think he can,but maybe find a top 4 to replace him and Beauch)

Also remember the players quit on RC and actually played well coming down the stretch. They should be better than the end of last year when the finished 11-4-1.

Last edited:

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
Since everything that's going to happen this year is based on how teams played last year, you ought to be able to go to Vegas and get rich.
It’s that easy. What bet should I be placing? Since the only futures are Stanley Cup, Conference winners, and point totals. I think the Ducks were projected around 80 pts. Not something I’d wager on at even money. For those that believe the Ducks will compete they should throw some money on the Ducks at 200/1.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Since everything that's going to happen this year is based on how teams played last year, you ought to be able to go to Vegas and get rich.

TBH I can't think of a recent example of a Western team finishing 10 points out the playoffs, not improved over the off-season, and made the playoffs the following year.

Avs seem to be the outlier from a few years ago

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
TBH I can't think of a recent example of a Western team finishing 10 points out the playoffs, not improved over the off-season, and made the playoffs the following year.

It depends how you define "not improved." Starting a season without Carlyle coaching is an instant improvement. Not having a crippled Kesler playing huge minutes will help. Not to mention young players usually get better as they grow and develop. Signing free agents isn't the only way for a hockey team to get better.

Last edited:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
It’s that easy. What bet should I be placing? Since the only futures are Stanley Cup, Conference winners, and point totals. I think the Ducks were projected around 80 pts. Not something I’d wager on at even money. For those that believe the Ducks will compete they should throw some money on the Ducks at 200/1.
Shop around and bet the under on the Ducks. The first site I went to had them at 82.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Your perspective runs parallel to all the legacy media's perspective's I've read recently. I think it's a fair assessment if you take the season as a whole. Of course, there would be very little to inspire if that were the case. Yet, there is nuance that's being omitted from last year's productions.

As denoted earlier, the team had two different head coaches and two different results.

RC produced 51 points in the first 56 games. Extrapolate it to a full season and you get 74.6 points.

Bob produced 29 points in the last 26 games. Extrapolate it to a full season and you get 91.4 points.

Since Bob was a first year coach when he took over, he did struggle in his first 9 games coaching going 3-6-0. The rest of the way thereafter, Bob's team went 11-5-1. That's 23 points in 17 games. If you extrapolate the last 17 games to a whole season, then you get 110 points.

There's a significant difference between RC and Bob coached teams. Bob demoted D Fowler to the 2nd line and re-united Lindholm (Magnus) with Manson as the first pairing blue liners. Afterwards, he simplified the defensive play. Finally, the kids came to play the second time around.

Steel (Splits)
2018: 13 games, 1G + 2A = 3 pts
2019: 9 games, 5G + 3A = 8 pts

Terry (Splits)
2018: 6 games, 0G + 0A = 0 pts
2019: 26 games, 4G + 9A = 13 pts

Jones
While Jones didn't get on the score sheet much with respect to points, he did get on the stats page with 30 hits in 30 games. LoL

Kase
Did not play under Bob because he was injured much in 2018-19 season. He only participated in 30 games. But in those 30 games under RC, he had 11 goals + 9 assists = 20 points.

All these little nuances add up when the coaching change occurred. Lost in all this is that new coach Dallas has been around a lot of the Ducks' youthful forwards. The transition won't be as awkward. So while the legacy media paints the Ducks in fowl weather, Bob revealed just how talented the Ducks actually are to end the season. The way the Ducks flourished to conclude the season built up so much more confidence going into 2019-20 season. The coaching assistants remained, meaning they'll employ a similar defense. Head coach Dallas has a way to light up the score sheet. Pile on Darryl Sutter in an advisory role to head coach Dallas and GM Bob has given the team plentiful of fail safes so the team can succeed.

Chomping at the bit for NHL time are forwards Comtois, Lundestrom, and Sherwood. On defense, Larsson feels bland, but safe. D Guhle is the wild card with respect to prospects. We don't know what Jani Hakanpaa will bring to the NHL ice, but his 6'5 frame with a defensive clearing repertoire as a 5/6th defenseman sounds promising from a PK and "hold onto the lead at the end of the game" player.

I want to reiterate that GM Bob had Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, and Larsson as mainstays as well as anyone else who could play defense to round robin. The team won under those circumstances. Now, we can add Guhle, MDZ, and Jani into the mix. While it may not seem like a significant upgrade, there is an upgrade in the 4 - 7th defensemen talent. The Ducks' defense vastly improved under Bob, as mentioned in a previous comment.

Nuances make for a considerable difference in futures. These nuances often get overlooked. If you ever read Anaheim Calling for the past several years, then you'd be amazed their rhetoric vs actual productions. AC people will rip the organization every year despite winning the Pacific division five years in a row. So the Ducks have slip up last year and didn't make the playoffs the first time in seven years. The legacy media is relying on the whole season last year without nuance in predicting the Ducks aren't going anywhere anytime soon. But nuance matters as it paints a picture with far better depth of what's to come or not come. Nuance exists between who coached the Ducks last year if you paid close attention. The proof is in the pudding, or you can read above, whichever one suits one best.

I won't be surprised if the Ducks top 95 points b/c I can see it happening. Although, legacy media and yourself will be surprised as well as state that "no one could have predicted this happening". LoL The Ducks in 2002-03 didn't have much talent outside of the phenomenal play of one player - JS Giguere. This year's Ducks can run the gambit with the mix of veterans, youths, and amazing goal tending between Gibby and Miller.

Reactions: DavidBL
Oct 18, 2011
I need to see another addition on defense or see Guhle/Mahura/Hakaanpaa emerge as a top 4 guy before thinking playoffs.
Competitive? Yes we're going to score goals but we're gonna give up alot, I don't understand Murray sometimes he arguably has the best goalie in the league and allowed him to be run into the ground last year and now he's putting a weak d core in front of him

It mirrors how poorly he did when RPG were all on good contracts and he just completely wasted much of those years

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
If we’re going to keep talking about last year and how we won’t improve this year, at least mention the f***ing upward trajectory we ended the season on, and the kids we sent down for the ahl playoffs killed it. We’re getting Kase back, we’re looking for kids to continue developing, and we’re seeing if Eakins is better than a dinosaur and a GM. There is CLEAR room for us to be 10 points better. Or we could be worse, but don’t insult everyone’s intelligence by saying we were bad last year. No shit, we all noticed.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Injuries played a big factor, and our system... both those issues have been addressed.

Im not expecting a cup , but i expect some players to bounce back and some players to make good impressions. With gibson in net, and a halfway decent system we could sneak into playoffs.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Think they will squeeze into the playoffs, but not get too far. But you know what, anything can happen in this game, look at St. Louis, who were in last place in Dec. If they can get a Top 4 D, and the forwards have a good season, and the vets bounce back, will be more optimistic. Already have some games in Nov booked, but would love to come back for a playoff game or two in April as well. Would love to experience a playoff atmosphere over there.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Think they will squeeze into the playoffs, but not get too far. But you know what, anything can happen in this game, look at St. Louis, who were in last place in Dec. If they can get a Top 4 D, and the forwards have a good season, and the vets bounce back, will be more optimistic. Already have some games in Nov booked, but would love to come back for a playoff game or two in April as well. Would love to experience a playoff atmosphere over there.

They could be like the 2013-14 NYR that while it lacked any elite scorers they had depth and had an elite goalie and made the playoffs and went to the cup finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad