How underrated are the Boston Bruins?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It is unlikely that this core will go back to the finals, last year was probably their last kick at the can. They're still an excellent team, but Stanley cup finalists rarely ever return to the finals & win.

But feel free to continue waxing your carrot to NESN.

Pens lost to the Wings in 08, then beat them in 09. Bruins will beat the Blues in the finals this season.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
The Bruins aren't under rated by any measure. The Bruins are who we thought they were.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Sportsnet NHL Insider predictions for 2019-20 season - Sportsnet.ca

for those who dont want to read... 18 sports net predictions who will win cup... come out of east... only 1 vote for boston to come out of east... zero for the cup... 2 of these people say boston most likely team to disappoint

Stanley Cup predictions for 2019-20

20 writers on record here... zero have boston going to the finals... only 2 predict them higher than 3rd... 3 predict them as a wildcard team... 2 completely missing the playoffs

I wasnt able to easily find tsn predictions but you all might be getting the true picture how disrespected and underrated bruins are by some of these predictions...

it gets even funnier if I pull up the 2018-19 forecasts and predictions and just how much sand the bruins kicked in everyones faces. this goes back years and years now. i get it... bruins have beaten you all up time and time again and its now your last recourse to cheer for their destruction. no one wants to admit the bruins are for real. I dont blame Toronto fans living in terror that they will have to face either boston or tampa in round I. sadly this Toronto team is never going to win a playoff round before it ages and is rebuilt.

if I as a fan of Toronto id be deeply saddened too... but its not just Toronto.

I hear lesser comments of disrespect from Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver when I listen to their talk shows {ironically not many out of montreal where the power of boston seems to be understood}

and whats funny is how everyone just tips the cap to tampa and says how they are gods gift and the model... but how many cups have tampa won in the last 5 years? how many trips to the finals in last 10 years? how many playoff appearances in last 3 years?

sure tampa has the most regular season points over the last 2 years... but is that how we measure success? people talk about the brilliance of tampas cap management but then we all say they couldnt do it without the tax break. how brilliant are they for being lucky enough to live in a tax haven?

even with the tax haven benefit... how messed up is their cap looking heading into next season? how tradable are those contracts to Johnson and palet? what are they going to do for dmen after their top 3?

not saying they suck... just saying I see most the 40 predictors handing them the east {and most the rest giving it to Toronto}

theres one true beast in the east everyone needs to go through this year before the cup matchup might change. boston has no cup hangover... and they are clipping along with a gaa well below 2 after their season starting road trip. these guys are working their ass off to get back to the cup

for those that laugh at the cup hangover comment... heres the joke for you
We’re the most over-hyped team. Aren’t we?

weakass post by a bruin 'fan' copied from an nesn article that origionated at nbc sports. I never coined the term cup hangover myself lmao.

I have heard it repeatedly by many of the tsn personalities on leafs lunch... a few from rogers sports net... and even a couple out here in the west. wishful thinking

so... no one predicting boston can win the east... 10% predicting they will miss the playoffs... a repeat of how they predicted the last couple years... and im over sensitive lmao

just quite a few oblivious people here... but thats what creates an enviroment of underrating in the first place. ignorance. I hope some of you are better educated after this thread. as a fan I dont mind 'cheering' my team... and giving it the well deserved props it has earnt.

Reactions: wintersej

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Weird time for a brag thread about half a dozen games into the season.

is the timing any better now?

I know it was desperately hoped that the bruins could falter and fail as injuries might take their toll... krug out? Bergeron out? debrusk out? miller and moore havent played a game all season

bruins now the best defense in the nhl after 1/3 of the season
second best offense

the 5-6 ahl kids that have played a few game have all done very well and showing us great expectations of future success

pastrnak shows no signs of slowing down... well over 50 goals in his last 82 games

marchand is legitimately in the hart conversation now... even the most oblivious voter would be ridiculed for leaving him off the ballat this year

rask has career stats second to no one in history... but maybe he will finally get some in-season credit too. he is a former vezina winner that some might forget so its not like he didnt get some credit earlier in his career. as the career has continued with record career save % numbers and incredible win/loss ratio/goals against average/and shutouts for 82 games played ratio... I dont know why so many dont even give him an honorable mention in their top 5 lists... just wow

I will have even more fun necro this thread in june I think... but if you feel it was too early in October it might go over a bit better here in december

Feniggles

Mar 31, 2012
Pennsylvania
so much for the Stanley cup hangover that was being wished for... sorry boys and girls, the bruins are playing even better than they did the last 2 seasons

oh yes... second best regular season record in hockey the last 2 years... so they didnt suck then either... and as many playoff victories as anyone...

individually chara who has been written off as dead is 3rd in the nhl for plus minus over the last 3 years... despite still being thrown out against the other teams top players 22 mins a night...

I heard some people say brad marchand might be worthy of consideration for the hart... who is the leading ppg scorer in the nhl the last 3 years? ok... the kid in Edmonton McDavid is pretty good even if his team sucks... so who is second? yeah that Russian guy in tampa has been on a tear of his own...

but who is the third best scorer in hockey now for the past 3 years?

sorry haters... not only is marchand the top agitator... and a super strong defensive player... but this compete 3 zone superstar is also the 3rd best scorer In the nhl now for 3 seasons {no fluke}

----
so much talk about who the second best young star in the game is behind McDavid... I hear drasaitl get consideration and he has averaged 1.06 points per game in 3 years... I hear Toronto fans support Matthews and he has averaged .97 points per game but is also a year younger... braden point gets .87 points per game... and david pastrnak? hes at 1.05 but wheres his love? only McDavid, kucherov, Ovechkin and Matthews have more goals than pastrnak over the last 3 seasons

-----
did it shock you that torey krug is the 6th best scoring dman points per game? burns/karlsson/hedman/Carlson/letang all get Norris consideration out the yahoo... and those are the only 5 better scoring dmen in the entire nhl… wheres the love for krug?
-----

tuuka rask has the best career save % in nhl history for his career... and the best goals against of any active nhl goaltender in the entire league...

the only active goalie that registers shutouts per game started at a better rate than tuuka is halak... both guys very close to 1 shutout every 10 games {only including guys with at least 300 career starts}

-----

all I ever hear is how crappy the bruins trades were for thornton/seguin… how we cant draft and in 2015 blew 3 picks in a row... how we get shutout at free agent signing time... how our trade deadline day is so underwhelming...

our style of play is outdated... we are too old... we dont have a good coach or a good gm...

honest hell... if we arent the most underrated sports franchise in the world right now... I havent been paying enough attention because its just ridiculous the amount of disrespect this team gets shown

this was the greatest humble brag ever.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not very underrated.

I will say that I don't think that they are invincible, though. Bergeron seems to be ailing, feel like Krecji is always about to be, they lack one more secondary scorer, and I still think that their D gives away the puck too much, even though they are a good D.

Kind of helps to have Pastrnak, Marchand, and Rask in your back pocket, though. Also, Coyle helps take the load off the top 2 C's, big time.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
lol Bruins? oh ya soo underrated. it’s too bad they lost to that one team in the cup finals...who beat them again? they were so overrated. i wonder how they're doing this year...probably sucking media coverage away from all the other top teams.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
They have some tough games coming up, it'll be interesting to see how they do. December games aren't the be all end all but it'll be some good nights of hockey anyway.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Last few years, Bruins have started slower and then gone insane in the 2nd half of the season. This year it will switch. Big first half but will be meh in the 2nd half.

At least I hope.
Probably. Pasta is a goal a game, it's not gonna last.

One line team. Chara is 40. Top line has 2 guys over 30.

be good for another couple years then rebuild.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Hate them, but they’re the best team in the league IMO. Wish the Leafs would play with half as much heat as the Bruins.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
The main board really ought to have a Gas Up Your Team thread for homer posts so new threads don't have to be started for nothing.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I really don’t think underrated is the right word when their one of the most popular teams in the states and the league, just went to game seven of the finals and are first in the nhl wth a duo that is in the top four in scoring.

They’re not getting proper buzz maybe but but thats largely because...

1) it’s not shocking anyone after their run to the finals

2) all the me too stuff that’s going on three coach firings and a don cherry firing

3) it’s been two months of the season we’re not even at Christmas but the bruins are this years tampa it looks like (reg season wise) may not get 62 but probably close

4) the leafs saga

My brother the bruins fan called me last night with how bout those bruins.

Now that the record is in the 20’s with the 3 regulation losses it’s going to be talked about more. And the fact it’s december.

I hope Cassidy wins the jack Adams finally, the last two years there was just no way gallant and trots could of lost, this year is the year I’d think.

Reactions: Bocephus86

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
The Bruins were cup favorites before the season and are still cup favorites with maybe two or three other teams...so I don´t think they are underrated...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad