How underrated are the Boston Bruins?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
so much for the Stanley cup hangover that was being wished for... sorry boys and girls, the bruins are playing even better than they did the last 2 seasons

oh yes... second best regular season record in hockey the last 2 years... so they didnt suck then either... and as many playoff victories as anyone...

individually chara who has been written off as dead is 3rd in the nhl for plus minus over the last 3 years... despite still being thrown out against the other teams top players 22 mins a night...

I heard some people say brad marchand might be worthy of consideration for the hart... who is the leading ppg scorer in the nhl the last 3 years? ok... the kid in Edmonton McDavid is pretty good even if his team sucks... so who is second? yeah that Russian guy in tampa has been on a tear of his own...

but who is the third best scorer in hockey now for the past 3 years?

sorry haters... not only is marchand the top agitator... and a super strong defensive player... but this compete 3 zone superstar is also the 3rd best scorer In the nhl now for 3 seasons {no fluke}

----
so much talk about who the second best young star in the game is behind McDavid... I hear drasaitl get consideration and he has averaged 1.06 points per game in 3 years... I hear Toronto fans support Matthews and he has averaged .97 points per game but is also a year younger... braden point gets .87 points per game... and david pastrnak? hes at 1.05 but wheres his love? only McDavid, kucherov, Ovechkin and Matthews have more goals than pastrnak over the last 3 seasons

-----
did it shock you that torey krug is the 6th best scoring dman points per game? burns/karlsson/hedman/Carlson/letang all get Norris consideration out the yahoo... and those are the only 5 better scoring dmen in the entire nhl… wheres the love for krug?
-----

tuuka rask has the best career save % in nhl history for his career... and the best goals against of any active nhl goaltender in the entire league...

the only active goalie that registers shutouts per game started at a better rate than tuuka is halak... both guys very close to 1 shutout every 10 games {only including guys with at least 300 career starts}

-----

all I ever hear is how crappy the bruins trades were for thornton/seguin… how we cant draft and in 2015 blew 3 picks in a row... how we get shutout at free agent signing time... how our trade deadline day is so underwhelming...

our style of play is outdated... we are too old... we dont have a good coach or a good gm...

honest hell... if we arent the most underrated sports franchise in the world right now... I havent been paying enough attention because its just ridiculous the amount of disrespect this team gets shown
Who exactly has underrated them? They're in the top 5 predicted to win the cup according to the Hockey News.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
AOF, this isn't a Bruins type thread.
The only time I ever see them under-rated is in more of a keyboard warriors wishful thinking kinda process where fans of a few rivals whom have shiny new toys put time on ffwd and have been predicting the Bruins to age out, and that's been going on for a few years... but nobody takes them super seriously.

Near all level-headed fans had them as one of the favourites coming into the season and a lot of people have them as the Eastern favourite.
As well as most everyone appreciates (a bit jealous) of how well they've rebuilt their team for the second time in a decade without having to bottom out and of the contracts they dole out.

Bruins get a lot of love. Don't let a couple of angry fans of a few other teams make you think otherwise as some, understandably, don't like The Bruins and are vocal.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Boston is one injury away from having.........one injury.

Oh, and then falling faster than Wile E. Coyote's anvil, down the middle of a deep, dry canyon.
Miller and Moore, albeit 3rd pair dmen, are currently on IR.

Last year they had a ton of injuries through the year and did fine. Bergeron, Pastrnak and every one of their defencemen missed significant time.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I was under the impression that you had to win the Stanley Cup to have a "Stanley Cup hangover".

and yet I heard it at least a dozen times from the canadian media in their forecasting... which after all is my point lol

but this seems to have gone woosh over a lot of peoples heads here... dont feel singled out

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Last time I checked they had the second best betting odds of winning the cup, that's not underrated.

Carolina is underrated

Carolina has a nice little 5 game streak going... what everyone and their dog is missing here is I am going back 3 years

but its a complicated point I guess and one not popular with the haters got to hate and the apologists got to apologize

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Who exactly has underrated them? They're in the top 5 predicted to win the cup according to the Hockey News.
well... theres probably several million people that rate things... hell im sure you rate things
i know i do too

i can find you someone in this world that said wayne gretzky was a glorified puck hog that never won a cup after he left Edmonton and dcouldnt play defense if his life depended on it...

if we are just using 1 persons rating we can find all sorts of things

i made multiple points in my post... i pointed out marchand was 3rd in scoring... but when people predict who might be in the top scoring leaders this year no one picks him

i pointed out rask has the best career save % and best active goals against of any goalie in nhl… but he wont get any consideration for being talked about as a hall of famer if they discuss that in a news show this year

i keep hearing on leafs lunch and hockey central how drasaitl and mattthews are the only 2 candidates for next best player to McDavid... again my point is made

but its a hard point to understand i guess... and maybe there are some smart sources out there that rate boston almost up to the lofty standards their performance has earnt... but theres a hell of a lot of not smart people who laugh and mock and act all giggy when showing their own bias that there is no underrating going on because they think their own opinion is that boston is 1 injury away from falling in the grand canyon or some such nonsense

i stated some factual observations that im sure took most of you totally by surprise... but just go on saying that there is no underrating going on fine. and then if another team has a 5 game winning streak lets put them in the same breath as last years cup finalists {3 trips to the finals in this decade... again no team has more but will the bruins be cited as a dynasty team or a team that set the model for success?}

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
How can you underrate a team who's biggest goon is this guy
1148782969.jpg.0.jpg

Reactions: SImpelton

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Not at all. I considered them prior to the season and still do, a top 5 team in the league. 2nd in the East behind Tampa and the way Tampa looks, that could change.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
They're a mature and disciplined group so they've been able to start off focused but last year's cup run will wear on them as the season goes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->