How underrated are the Boston Bruins?

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
Bruins are an excellent team, they cannot win the cup though.

They are a one line team and that's it, over 20+ games (what it takes to get to the finals), that group will eventually have a cold streak of 3-5 games and it's over for them at that point.

But yeah, they are one of the best regular season teams:
Probably best line in the NHL
Amazing mix of veterans and youth
Best goaltending duo in the NHL
I'm wondering what you thought last year was? A good period away from winning the Cup with that same one line - which, if you recall, was banged up with Pastrnak not right after the wrist injury and Marchand hurt during that stupid pre-Cup team scrimmage.

Largely the same team, the old guard is one year older (though showing no signs of decline) the younger group is a year more experienced and seasoned. This take doesn't make a lot of sense after last year.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
Think you can make a really strong case boston v tampa winner is favorite. Wouldn't call that underrated.
That's a fun idea but Washington, Pittsburgh and whoever comes out of the West will certainly have something to say about that.

One thing that people miss, imo, about the playoffs is the physicality ramps up and teams sometimes win on being heavier and nastier - look no further than STL last year. Boston and Tampa are not heavy, nasty teams...skill/talent alone doesn't win in the playoffs.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
The thread was written back when most were picking the Bruins for 3rd in division or falling behind Florida.
I think people are missing this fact. I don't think the thread itself was necessarily warranted but pre-season the Bruins were definitely considered also-rans, the consensus was Tampa was just as loaded and had something to prove, the Leafs would take a step forward as the kids matured, Florida looked like they'd get into the mix, and Boston would be battling with Montreal for a wild card. I saw that everywhere.

Doesn't mean this thread is all that necessary but it's definitely revisionist history if people say they were considered a real cup contender before the season started.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
That's a fun idea but Washington, Pittsburgh and whoever comes out of the West will certainly have something to say about that.

One thing that people miss, imo, about the playoffs is the physicality ramps up and teams sometimes win on being heavier and nastier - look no further than STL last year. Boston and Tampa are not heavy, nasty teams...skill/talent alone doesn't win in the playoffs.
Whoever comes out of Metro is really good of course. But with home ice I'd take Boston or Tampa. Tampa is going to have Hedman in this playoffs.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
I would love to see a Bruins/Caps ECF. That would be some quality hockey. (As would Bruins/Pens, but nobody wants to see that!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad