Post-Game Talk: How To Get The Starter’s Job Back in 2 Games

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I thought Ennis-Drai-Yams had pretty decent chemistry in the 3rd period, fairly comparable to RNH being on that line instead. They came very close to scoring.

I'd stick with these lines for another game, trying to get a read on line combos with the group is dead tired getting into town 3:30 in the morning isn't a great way to judge anything especially with McDavid sick, but even there that last tick tack toe goal for the McDavid line showed potential.

I’d go back. The second line is key, and last year proved that Nuge - McDavid is less effective.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

Just too bad Scott Oake had to be so cringey when he was talking to Smith’s kids. At one point he asks Mike’s oldest: “Aksel, how did dad play tonight?” The kid looks at Scott like he just grew two more heads. “He didn’t play,” Oake condescendingly teased, like he is talking to a toddler. The kid? “Koskinen played well.” Mike had to laugh it off to get passed how weird it was, joking that he had a good game because he was on the bench. Just all of the cringe. Aksel handled it like a pro, but you could even tell the kid was pissed at being patronized like that, until they brought out the clips of the kids having fun on the ice, and that loosened everything up again.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
i'm concerned about the condensed schedule.

uh, no they didn't get "bored"... they played like c*** and were fatigued and hanging on.
I can't for the life of me fit a word there that starts with a c and is 4 letters. Feeling dumb right now. Has to be plural as well.

Reactions: pratt

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
feel asleep watching that game.
missed the 3rd period.
Saw Tipps post game this morning, on how they rolled in @ 3:30 - 4:30 in the morning after the road trip, that explains a lot.
Gutted, and grinded a win in a game we had no business in.

one thing I noticed in the 2 periods I watched, is I'm getting a bit concerned about Bear and how he looks overwhelmed against Big, hard forechecking teams.

Last edited:

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
While the Drai line took a bit of a hit with replacing RNH with Ennis, IMO the bigger problem was on the defensive side moving the puck... leave the forward lines the same, fix the d pairings

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Koctco is playing good because smith was starting the last few games, Remember guys, Kostco needs rest and can only sustain high level play when its for a few games at a time.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Fell asleep before the game started but watching the highlights it looked like we played great... I now know that was not the case haha. Oh well, a wins a win.

Anyone know where I can find the Yamo and Smith interviews form last night?

I dug up the Smith segment, but browsing videos on Sportsnet appears to be like pulling teeth. I imagine the rest of After Hours is on there somewhere, but I couldn't be bothered to keep searching around for it on their pages.

Mike Smith on After Hours talks family and hockey - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: McNuge

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
While the Drai line took a bit of a hit with replacing RNH with Ennis, IMO the bigger problem was on the defensive side moving the puck... leave the forward lines the same, fix the d pairings

yeah offensively Ennis had 2 or 3 really good chances that he’ll probably bury before long. The issue was definitely getting out of our own zone.

It’s just unfortunate how our only RD puck mover is bear. It makes it difficult to come up with pairings.

Klef Bear
Jones Larsson
Nurse Benning

Looks good at first glance to me, but then you’re likely asking benning to play heavy ES minutes with Nurse which likely won’t work very well. Either that or Nurses time would be greatly reduced and I don’t see that happening as the coach really trusts him 5v5.

Nurse Larsson wouldn’t work either imo because neither guy can pass the puck. We could really use a RH dman who can make a pass.

Reactions: KenLinsemanFanClub

duul

Jun 21, 2010
RNH-McDavid-Archibald
Ennis-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Athanasiou-Haas-Chiasson
Neal-Sheahan-Kassian
Khaira

Replace Neal/Chiasson with Nygard when he's healthy.

Klefbom-Bear
Jones-Larsson
Nurse-Benning

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
yeah offensively Ennis had 2 or 3 really good chances that he’ll probably bury before long. The issue was definitely getting out of our own zone.

It’s just unfortunate how our only RD puck mover is bear. It makes it difficult to come up with pairings.

Klef Bear
Jones Larsson
Nurse Benning

Looks good at first glance to me, but then you’re likely asking benning to play heavy ES minutes with Nurse which likely won’t work very well. Either that or Nurses time would be greatly reduced and I don’t see that happening as the coach really trusts him 5v5.

Nurse Larsson wouldn’t work either imo because neither guy can pass the puck. We could really use a RH dman who can make a pass.

Well I mean we picked on up at trade deadline...

Those are the parings I think we should try, in terms of the minutes IMO I don't understand why we have such an imbalance in minutes when non of our pairings have shown success against top comp with high minutes...

We have good defensive depth with a lack of elite defensive talent, we should be distributing their icetime like that, more equal ev minutes

Reactions: 3IR

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Have to keep up with the Joneses so take them any way you can.

Tippets post game was a beauty. At least there’s talk of playing without fans instead of just canceling the season.

Do we really want a number one? It’s the tandem that’s taken us this far and I think the both are heating up here at the perfect time. Just roll into the playoffs like it’s just another game in the season.

No fun bags boooo, just pot bellies.

Honey Badgers biatches better be using jimmies!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Koskinen secured four points for the Oilers this week. He’s absolutely playing better than Smith right now.
He is but Smith was NHL's top 3 star last week. We gotta ride the hot hand now..it's Koski no doubt but Smith isn't bad either

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Disappointing the last 3 of 4 games. Team maybe is sick? Can't think of any other excuse.
It's been confirmed by google medical, mcdavid has covid97, it's the greatest coronavirus in the world. judging by the other thread it appears double A was the carrier who brought it to edmonton.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Koctco is playing good because smith was starting the last few games, Remember guys, Kostco needs rest and can only sustain high level play when its for a few games at a time.
this is true, but I think he can be good for more than a few. The issue in that first year was that he was playing all the games for like two months

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
feel asleep watching that game.
missed the 3rd period.
Saw Tipps post game this morning, on how they rolled in @ 3:30 - 4:30 in the morning after the road trip, that explains a lot.
Gutted, and grinded a win in a game we had no business in.

one thing I noticed in the 2 periods I watched, is I'm getting a bit concerned about Bear and how he looks overwhelmed against Big, hard forechecking teams.
Bear has been getting exposed a bit with the Klefbom pairing not shouldering a huge amount of minutes. Once Klefbom is back up to speed, I think he’ll be fine.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van

Klef Bear
Jones Larsson
Nurse Benning

Mike Green should be healthy come playoffs. He's also a veteran and that will be valuable. Pair him with Nurse and see how that works.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00