Post-Game Talk: How To Get The Starter’s Job Back in 2 Games

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think it's more the fact that it was 4 in 6 and they didn't get into Edmonton till 3:30 AM the day before.

Side note: the Oilers likely only have to go 5-8 over the last 13 games to make the playoffs.

Yeah, I picked 90pts would do it in the poll but 92 points would guarantee a playoff spot. Theres no way enough teams are getting past that to push us out. The only conversation really is where we place, first?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
At this point in the season, I much rather have a bad win than a good loss. I also think it's good for the team to know that they can rely on their goalie to win games. Sucks for Koskinen that he didn't get the shutout but I don't think it'll bother him too much. Drai needs to go for the safe play with 2 minutes left instead of trying to make it 4-0. Honestly, I am not too worried about their bad play recently. Once you get into the playoff, it doesn't matter if you're going in hot or cold. The complexion of playoff games is drastically different from regular season games anyway. Clinching a playoff spot is all that matters right now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, I picked 90pts would do it in the poll but 92 points would guarantee a playoff spot. Theres no way enough teams are getting past that to push us out. The only conversation really is where we place, first?

My guesses:

First 96+
Second 94
Third 93/94

WC1 92
WC2 91/92

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

With their fatigue and the way they've been playing, it's plausible they only win 3-4 more games the rest of the way. 6 of the next 7 are tough tough games. and ottawa's playing looser and a bit better of late too. they better not leave it to the last two games vs flames and vegas...

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
With their fatigue and the way they've been playing, it's plausible they only win 3-4 more games the rest of the way. 6 of the next 7 are tough tough games. and ottawa's playing looser and a bit better of late too. they better not leave it to the last two games vs flames and vegas...

They're not going to go 3-10. I think 5-8 would be a reasonable "at worst" scenario, and that gets them to 92 points and a very decent chance of still making it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At this point in the season, I much rather have a bad win than a good loss. I also think it's good for the team to know that they can rely on their goalie to win games. Sucks for Koskinen that he didn't get the shutout but I don't think it'll bother him too much. Drai needs to go for the safe play with 2 minutes left instead of trying to make it 4-0. Honestly, I am not too worried about their bad play recently. Once you get into the playoff, it doesn't matter if you're going in hot or cold. The complexion of playoff games is drastically different from regular season games anyway. Clinching a playoff spot is all that matters right now.

One thing I'll state here is Drai isn't the kind of player that cares about any personal acollade of ANY kind. All that matters to him is W's. Doesn't matter to him if he gets on the scoreboard, or if its a shutout or anything. Just win. You could tell Drai wasn't even thinking about the shutout. The game was over and playing it out.

Not excusing it but just saying Drai cares about team, not individual results. Kind of how he's built. I'd be pissed off if I was Koskinen none the less but you gotta let it go. Sure everything was fine with everybody.

Reactions: perseus

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
"Fatigue" is more from travel. It's one thing to play 4 games in 6 nights, it's another to immediately have to get on a plane the night of a game and then fly into another city, try to get settled into a new hotel room and get to sleep.

It's different when its a home stand and you just go back home to the same bed every night.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Please stop. Theres no friggen way the Oilers are only winning 3 games the rest of the way. The sky isn't falling, actually..

The Oilers do better in "Tough" games and invariably win those games. They get bored by clubs like Columbus. You could tell every Oilers on the ice was thinking we could play one period and beat this club for fun. Pretty much what happened.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
"Fatigue" is more from travel. It's one thing to play 4 games in 6 nights, it's another to immediately have to get on a plane the night of a game and then fly into another city, try to get settled into a new hotel room and get to sleep.

It's different when its a home stand and you just go back home to the same bed every night.

I think the fatigue is from everything combined. Playing compressed schedules, lots of travel out West, the last month and a half being high intensity games almost every night.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You act as if Oilers haven’t beat tough teams all year. Spoiler.... they have.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Please stop. Theres no friggen way the Oilers are only winning 3 games the rest of the way. The sky isn't falling, actually..

The Oilers do better in "Tough" games and invariably win those games. They get bored by clubs like Columbus. You could tell every Oilers on the ice was thinking we could play one period and beat this club for fun. Pretty much what happened.

i'm concerned about the condensed schedule.

uh, no they didn't get "bored"... they played like c*** and were fatigued and hanging on.

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
One thing I'll state here is Drai isn't the kind of player that cares about any personal acollade of ANY kind. All that matters to him is W's. Doesn't matter to him if he gets on the scoreboard, or if its a shutout or anything. Just win. You could tell Drai wasn't even thinking about the shutout. The game was over and playing it out.

Not excusing it but just saying Drai cares about team, not individual results. Kind of how he's built. I'd be pissed off if I was Koskinen none the less but you gotta let it go. Sure everything was fine with everybody.

I agree, I was kind of shocked to see a lot of comments about Drai being a bad leader for the play and how he reacted afterwards.

Wen22

May 28, 2006
Edmonton
Honey Badger don’t give a shit.

View attachment 333051

Badgermoto.png

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think the fatigue is from everything combined. Playing compressed schedules, lots of travel out West, the last month and a half being high intensity games almost every night.

Its not the worst thing at all the Oilers are getting a chance to take it easy in some of these games. really about 3/5 games they haven't extended their normal effort. They've kind of coasted in these games and trying to win with the least effort. Which is great as we head into the playoffs. The stupidest thing to do is blow your wad of energy now and have not much left for playoffs. its great the Oilers have a little bit of margin going down the stretch. I figure the oilers finish with no less than 96pts.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
It's so awkward to watch the Oilers play bad and win games.
Kosko getting his SO ruined less than a min to go really was brutal, Drai's gonna owe him one..

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Its not the worst thing at all the Oilers are getting a chance to take it easy in some of these games. really about 3/5 games they haven't extended their normal effort. They've kind of coasted in these games and trying to win with the least effort. Which is great as we head into the playoffs. The stupidest thing to do is blow your wad of energy now and have not much left for playoffs. its great the Oilers have a little bit of margin going down the stretch. I figure the oilers finish with no less than 96pts.

I don't think they should coast, it's a thin line between winning and losing, and it's not always so easy to just flip the switch, so to speak.

That said they have built a bit of a cushion to allow themselves to play mediocre hockey from here on out and still make the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Would be a huge positive if that Neal Khaira Chiasson line can play like that more often, they were real good.

Caleb Jones doesn't have the hardest shot but he's really good at getting the damn puck on net with enough juice that it fools the goalie.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
i'm concerned about the condensed schedule.

uh, no they didn't get "bored"... they played like c*** and were fatigued and hanging on.

2pts in the standings is real. They got that. Any Western Canadian team coming back from a continent sweeping road trip is gonna be tired. They had no days off. They played Thursday, travel home, rest Friday and back at it Saturday. The schedule is offering no practice time or opportunity.

Managing to get a result in the first game back at home after a successful road trip is huge.

At this point in the season I don't care how.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Every good team has to win a few games in an 82 game season where they look like crap and the goalie steps up.

It's not about being the sexiest team and putting on a show like in Nashville every night at this stage of the season.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think it's more the fact that it was 4 in 6 and they didn't get into Edmonton till 3:30 AM the day before.

Side note: the Oilers likely only have to go 5-8 over the last 13 games to make the playoffs.

It does sound like there is a flu bug going around. That and the crappy schedule, criss crossing North America for 2 weeks and fatigue and we got what we got tonight. We should be grateful for the win and not get down on them too much. We are in 1st place and we will be better.

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
2pts in the standings is real. They got that. Any Western Canadian team coming back from a continent sweeping road trip is gonna be tired. They had no days off. They played Thursday, travel home, rest Friday and back at it Saturday. The schedule is offering no practice time or opportunity.

Managing to get a result in the first game back at home after a successful road trip is huge.

At this point in the season I don't care how.

The next two weeks don't get any easier. The only "weak" team they play is the Senators who have the Oilers numbers. I'll be happy with at least 3 wins over the next 7 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad