Post-Game Talk: How To Get The Starter’s Job Back in 2 Games

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Man, I know Kassian got a point tonight but he has been mostly a drag. Not retrieving pucks or anything. Play died with him almost every time he had the puck this evening. No jam in his play either.

I dunno ... I see some people pointing at holes in certain players games like Kassian, AA etc tonight. Quite frankly no one really played well (besides Koskinen and the fourth line), I'm just not sure its worth finger pointing at certain players on this game. Its nice to get the 2 points, but the whole team needs to be better.

Reactions: RegDunlop

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Wrong again, check the stats. Home ice means the very least in hockey. Road teams always win on the road in hockey. Home ice advabtage has meant less and less every year

What stats are those?

Current NHL collective home record: 567-354-135 (213 games over .500)
Current NHL collective away record: 490-459-109 (31 games over .500)

You think teams would give up home ice advantage of they could choose in the playoffs because there is some kind of road team advantage?

I don't dispute that lots of teams that have home ice choke hard in the playoffs. But, whatever, teams that do that aren't gonna win regardless. A good team that is capable in confident will take the 4/7 games with 2nd change 10 times out of 10.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
woof...what an awful game..Drai was especially bad in the last minute

Kostko was amazing...Oilers looked a step behind all game...2nd to loose pucks, losing every battle
maybe a flu bug or something going through the team

ugly win..but its still a win

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
What stats are those?

Current NHL collective home record: 567-354-135 (213 games over .500)
Current NHL collective away record: 490-459-109 (31 games over .500)

You think teams would give up home ice advantage of they could choose in the playoffs because there is some kind of road team advantage?

I don't dispute that lots of teams that have home ice choke hard in the playoffs. But, whatever, teams that do that aren't gonna win regardless. A good team that is capable in confident will take the 4/7 games with 2nd change 10 times out of 10.
check playoff home stats in the last 3 years. Basketball and football and baseball home means so much more, i am not saying i would pass up having home ice advantage, i am just saying there is far less pressure starting on the road than at home.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Someone needs to forcefeed that boy a flu shot. Every goddamn year he gets sick
You’d almost think he has a job where he has to stay in hotels half his life. Spend hours on airplanes and in airports. And then lose 5-8 pounds every night on the job. But yeah, get that boy a flu shot. That will make all the difference. :rolleyes:

Reactions: LaGu and guymez

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm more of a goals for/against guy and a W/L guy than most I think... I see a win as a win and outscoring the competition any way you can as a positive so I'm not as disappointed as most by this game.

I also love when opposing teams are completely frustrated in a game... which I'm sure the BJ's were which is why they had to resort to the dirt/slimy play they did and the refs were certainly helping them out as well with game management.

Oilers were simply the better team when all was said and done and the BJ's had no finish in the game which is obviously a key to winning... not getting "chances" and doing nothing with them which is what they did all night... getting phantom Power Plays and still not being able to convert.

Their team is shit and they'll slide out of a wildcard spot with Carolina or the Rangers overtaking them who are both more deserving of a playoff spot.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Tippett:

"The goaltender was unbelievable. The rest of the team was not unbelievable."

He's a f***ing beauty.
I disagree, they were just as unbelievable as kosk.

It was unbelievable how little effort they managed to put in over the course of 60 minutes.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
He also can tell the team they played like garbage by sounding like angry dad but does it in a way the team respects him for it and doesn't tune him out.

I haven't been this happy with a coaching hire in a long time.

Agree 100%

He also said “I don’t care what they do on their day off...anything they want just don’t play hockey”

Reactions: McFuhryous

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I've bitched enough about the lack of effort tonight. Koskinen stole this.

Big picture and beyond the Oilers, I wonder if the league needs to look at its scheduling. It seems like 4 games in 6 nights a new norm and repeat that over weeks and weeks this just chews teams up and we start to look at things like 'scheduling losses.' I'm not sure the bye week idea works if it means compressing the schedule, especially for Western Conference teams with crazy travel. Just a thought and not intended as an excuse.

Tonight the Oilers collectively didn't have it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
This super condensed schedule to end the year really stinks.

I mean, it’s nice to get so much hockey to watch, but it can’t be good for the players, or teams in general. You’d think a downswing after the trade deadline to allow guys to prepare for the long grind of the playoffs, and have new acquisitions get more practices in would make for even more exciting post season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad