Post-Game Talk: How To Get The Starter’s Job Back in 2 Games

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You’d almost think he has a job where he has to stay in hotels half his life. Spend hours on airplanes and in airports. And then lose 5-8 pounds every night on the job. But yeah, get that boy a flu shot. That will make all the difference. :rolleyes:

I was being facetious.

But he does seem to be sick more often than is normal, even for his lifestyle.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Koskinen secured four points for the Oilers this week. He’s absolutely playing better than Smith right now.
Not sure how anyone could be arguing otherwise. I’m as happy as anyone that smith has defied the odds and turned in an above average season for the Oilers. However, and I may be open to correction here, I feel like some of Smith’s wins have been of the ‘team plays good and Smith manages to hang on in spite of letting in a couple of softies’ variety. Whereas it seems like Koskinen always has to stand on his head for his wins. No disputing that Koskinen has sucked badly in a couple of his losses too. Personally I feel more calm watching games with him in the crease.

Reactions: space321

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
I can’t be the only one that is satisfied with winning games like this.

We have many tools in the tool box this year!!! They are all different but do the same thing...win us games.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Koskinen has let in 2 goals in his last 100 shots faced... so ya he's playing pretty, pretty good. :) On the season he's at 91.7% which is very solid.

Smith is no slouch either as over his last 18 games he's put up a 91.3% save percentage.

It's nice to have 2 goalies that are both playing well of late and that can both be relied upon to help the team get wins down the stretch.

English Bob

Jul 27, 2007
Edmonton
I think the Goalie strategy the Oil went with is paying off so far. 2 Jacks rather than having an Ace and an 8. Goalies are unpredictable; Aces get hurt, the young 8 might get exposed if your Ace gets hurt for a bit...while the top end is a Jack, there is/was a decent chance for both to get there. (Caveat, in this last game Koskinen was an Ace)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Koskinen is 12th in the NHL in save pct among goalies that have played 30+ games... he's pretty close to a king if not quite an ace this year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even though it was an ugly game, felt like they started to find some of their game as the 3rd period went on.

Ennis/Drai/Yamo were able to generate high quality chances on their D.

Neal/Khaira/Chiasson looked quite good as a line, that's a positive. Chiasson with another double digit goal season is something at least, if we have to move him in the summer it's probably doable without too much fuss.

Reactions: perseus

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not really annoying. You cheer for Vegas to win snd keep Cakgary back and take care of business the next night against Vegas. We should not give a shit about the out of town score board. We need to worry about our games. And by the way who gives a shit about finishing first?? i would rather come in the playoffs and start off on the road, much less pressure.

Honey Badger don’t give a shit.

FCC9346A-7EF7-4E08-951D-031C5CCC56D0.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Shittiest 4-1 win ever.

They kept mentioning McDavid was ill. Honestly that's what this looks like, a team depleted by illness. No legs on half the group at all.

Wonder if the flu is going around. Someone needs to forcefeed that boy a flu shot. Every goddamn year he gets sick.

I'll take it. In around 1974 I was sitting with my Dad (RIP) watching the Oilers at the Coliseum lose 5-1 to the Minnesota Fighting Saints in the WHA. The Oilers Outshot the Saints 51-17. They couldn't cash anything. I learned a few new swear words from Dad that night. Not sure if he's watching from up there anymore but this game was the closest thing I've seen to the reverse of that game.

Hockey bounces this way sometimes. Take the two points and run.

Oh, and that Minnesota Fighting Saints team always had our number too. Not sure whats up with that.

Man was Torts upset tonight. He wasn't sure what to be upset at but he was sure fuming. The worse kind of angry is when you don't know what to be angry about. Jackets will miss playoffs and think about games just like tonight.

Reactions: Drai Fi

English Bob

Jul 27, 2007
Edmonton
My tortured point, I guess, is that the top end prediction as regular starters for either was something like a Jack. If you take two possible Jacks and alternate them and maximize the hot streaks...well here we are. If either was run like an Ace, they would not be able to deliver (I suspect). So...I stand by the 2 Jacks theory (it was also the only viable move with the salary cap they had to work with). It will be interesting to see who gets the first playoff start, I think it will be based on recent play at the end of the regular season.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the flu bug is an easy excuse. I hope that's all it is. That was a bullshit effort from just about everyone. Hopefully there isn't anything more going on in the locker room.

Alas, a wins a win.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
4 games in 6 nights with basically travel every night coming from the West is kind of insane.

That would be rough for basketball teams, but for a more physical sport like ice hockey, it's really insane what the NHL expects players to play through honestly.

The regular season should really be 70 games, but they need to milk these guys into the ground.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think the flu bug is an easy excuse. I hope that's all it is. That was a bullshit effort from just about everyone. Hopefully there isn't anything more going on in the locker room.

Alas, a wins a win.

I think it's more the fact that it was 4 in 6 and they didn't get into Edmonton till 3:30 AM the day before.

Side note: the Oilers likely only have to go 5-8 over the last 13 games to make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad