How Open Are You to Trading Eichel? A Methodical Approach.

How open are you to trading Eichel?

• Total voters

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Duchene wanted out. Corolorado waited for an offer that was more than fair and was better for it.

Eichel signed an 8 year deal, I don’t care if he wants to leave, the trade needs to make Buffalo better.

I mean, you aren't going to win the trade. You can get great value back, but you aren't going to get a better player than Eichel back.

And the difference between the Duchene and Eichel is Eichel has a full NMC that kicks in 7/1/22. So, in a year, Eichel can say "I want to go to Boston and I'm going to sit out until that happens"

So, this summer, we have a real decision to make. And its more than just "does Eichel want to be here"

We have 5 years left of Eichel in his prime. 4 years of those have a full NMC.

So, we as a team, need to decide:

- Can we be a playoff team next year
- Are we ready to enter contention within the next 5 years

So, what are our choices this summer?

A) Keep Eichel and try to be a playoff team
B) Keep Eichel and move forward with the youth.
C) Trade Eichel

I think A makes the MOST sense given the 10 year playoff drought. If you swing and miss you will at least have SOME time to try to move him before the NMC kicks in. I don't think you go all in and start trading Cozens/making huge UFA deals, but I think you can smartly retool the roster, especially in an expansion year.

I think B is the worst option because it simply accepts 1-2 more bad years as we wait for players to develop. The worst case scenario is we get Eichel to buy in on the youth, it doesn't work, and two years from now he's done and wants out.

C is a legit option as well at this point. As a team we have full control over who we can trade him to. So we can line up multiple teams, get them to compete against each other, and get the best value. As we approach the NMC deadline, I think that value starts to drop a bit as teams, especially those who Eichel may actually waive for might opt to see if they can get a better deal once the NMC kicks in.

I think my approach this summer is get Eichel on board with A. Plan to move forward with A. But, I think you still listen. You have an asking price that is just astronomical. If someone meets it and it makes sense, you do the deal. If not, you move forward with plan A.

But going forward with the same forward/D group, adding two goalies and Eichel would be franchise suicide. It'd simply push us closer to the worst case scenario, the NMC Eichel trade, which would set the franchise back 5 more years.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
I mean, you aren't going to win the trade. You can get great value back, but you aren't going to get a better player than Eichel back.

And the difference between the Duchene and Eichel is Eichel has a full NMC that kicks in 7/1/22. So, in a year, Eichel can say "I want to go to Boston and I'm going to sit out until that happens"

So, this summer, we have a real decision to make. And its more than just "does Eichel want to be here"

We have 5 years left of Eichel in his prime. 4 years of those have a full NMC.

So, we as a team, need to decide:

- Can we be a playoff team next year
- Are we ready to enter contention within the next 5 years

So, what are our choices this summer?

A) Keep Eichel and try to be a playoff team
B) Keep Eichel and move forward with the youth.
C) Trade Eichel

I think A makes the MOST sense given the 10 year playoff drought. If you swing and miss you will at least have SOME time to try to move him before the NMC kicks in. I don't think you go all in and start trading Cozens/making huge UFA deals, but I think you can smartly retool the roster, especially in an expansion year.

I think B is the worst option because it simply accepts 1-2 more bad years as we wait for players to develop. The worst case scenario is we get Eichel to buy in on the youth, it doesn't work, and two years from now he's done and wants out.

C is a legit option as well at this point. As a team we have full control over who we can trade him to. So we can line up multiple teams, get them to compete against each other, and get the best value. As we approach the NMC deadline, I think that value starts to drop a bit as teams, especially those who Eichel may actually waive for might opt to see if they can get a better deal once the NMC kicks in.

I think my approach this summer is get Eichel on board with A. Plan to move forward with A. But, I think you still listen. You have an asking price that is just astronomical. If someone meets it and it makes sense, you do the deal. If not, you move forward with plan A.

But going forward with the same forward/D group, adding two goalies and Eichel would be franchise suicide. It'd simply push us closer to the worst case scenario, the NMC Eichel trade, which would set the franchise back 5 more years.
What did you think of the ROR trade, right before and after it happened?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I saw some Rangers fan on twitter suggest Laf, Fox, and 2 1sts

that’s more realistic on what it woukd take.

Fox is ED exempt and fills a RD hole if Risto is exposed/ traded/walk.
LaF has a lot of potential.

If Buffalo did this they would have signed Reinhart for 5+ yrs and it might be after 2122 season.

the idea of cap space is a non-issue. Many teams have strategized around things like Mathews/Aho being UFAs.
If you wait till summer 2022 Fox woukd get a raise making the issue of cap space a non issue. A yr later Laf is due for a new contract.

I am not trading Eichel for a teams expendable. If Mirrs and Cozens development advances and Reinhart shows he’s a 60 pt+ center I’m fine in trading Eichel for some missing pieces.

I’m not so worried about Skinner. If he doesn’t retire before, he has 6 yrs left. You have young forwards you coukd cost control with ELC+bridge till his contract ends.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
What did you think of the ROR trade, right before and after it happened?

I was open to moving RoR for the right return but was fine with keeping him if the deal wasn't there. If you were trading him though, you had to get a huge windfall. Or maybe move him for a downgrade at center + some more assets.

I was super pissed off at the trade because the return was terrible. It was a bad deal the minute it was made. And everyone knew it.

Reactions: Jim Bob

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
I was open to moving RoR for the right return but was fine with keeping him if the deal wasn't there. If you were trading him though, you had to get a huge windfall. Or maybe move him for a downgrade at center + some more assets.

I was super pissed off at the trade because the return was terrible. It was a bad deal the minute it was made. And everyone knew it.
Yes, because the timing was bad, which had something to do with the owners (trying to avoid the bonus payment, culture change etc).
But wouldn't you say right now we have a similar situation? It would be bad timing with Eichels NMC kicking in (and his bonus payment), and his current injury status. You can't do anything but sell low. There's no way around this situation, which makes your suggestion to being open to a trade not an option imo.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
11:10 AM press conference on WGR, Eichel over zoom

This sets the tone for the summer for sure.

Could be demanding out
Could be committing to Buffalo
Could be nothing/vague (my bet)

But Jack is the definitely the focal point. Either we keep and continue to build around him (I prefer this option right now), or we embrace Reinhart/youth fully as the new leaders and super-charge them with an Eichel-return (I'm not 100% against this either)

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Could be demanding out

But Jack is the definitely the focal point. Either we keep and continue to build around him (I prefer this option right now), or we embrace Reinhart/youth fully as the new leaders and super-charge them with an Eichel-return (I'm not 100% against this either)

Reinhart is gone if Eichel gets traded

You know, I was wondering why those beyond stupid Eichel to Rags thread kept staying on top of the trade board day-after-day, week-after-week, and now I know why: our own morons are repeatedly haggling with the Rags fanbase and pestering them to trade for Eichel

Last edited:

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Reinhart is gone if Eichel gets traded

You know, I was wondering why those beyond stupid Eichel to Rags thread kept staying on top of the trade board day-after-day, week-after-week, and now I know why: our own morons are repeatedly haggling with the Rags fanbase and pestering them to trade for Eichel
Ignorance is bliss

Would be funny if Eichel 100% commits to Buffalo today.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Yes, because the timing was bad, which had something to do with the owners (trying to avoid the bonus payment, culture change etc).
But wouldn't you say right now we have a similar situation? It would be bad timing with Eichels NMC kicking in (and his bonus payment), and his current injury status. You can't do anything but sell low. There's no way around this situation, which makes your suggestion to being open to a trade not an option imo.

The RoR deal was an unforced error. RoR made the comments in April....the trade was made on 7/1. If GMJB knew the owners didn't want to pay the bonus, he should have been gone at the draft. I'd love an oral history on that trade from the Sabres side, because the rumored deals available to GMJB were much better than the deal we ended up taking. The only real deadline was the bonus, which was an ownership decision.

We have a 1 year+ on the Eichel "worst case scenario" of him having a full NMC AND wanting out.

Best Case Scenario: We expertly navigate the expansion draft, add key pieces, make some smart signings/trades. have a great season and make the playoffs easily next year and Eichel is happy and we start a 5 year contention window with Eichel as our franchise center.

Worst Case Scenario: We basically keep trying the same dumb shit with the same players, it fails again and we hem and haw about trading Eichel until we pass the NMC deadline and he holds our collective nuts to the fire to go where he wants and we get pennies on the dollar.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
We have no reason or need to trade Eichel right now. But I'm open to the idea of a kings ransom overpayment for him.

If the return isn't an obvious upgrade to the current roster and prospect pool then we're happy to keep Eichel.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
All I know is this would a trade that we actually HAVE TO WIN (for a change). We can not get hosed again.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Since I voted for a King's ransom, here are some ideas that the fans of the other team would like hate and/or laugh at. But, these are the kinds of deals I would want to trade Eichel.

LA Kings:

- Byfield or Turcotte+Thomas
- Bjornfot
- Kaliyev
- '21 or '22 1st

And I would take Quick or Brown back as a cap dump if need be.

NY Rangers:

- Kakko+Fox or Laf+Miller or Shesterkin+Miller
- Chytil
- '21 or '22 1st

Anaheim:

- Gibson
- Zegras
- Perreault or Groulx

Boston:

- Pastrnak
- Frederic
- Ritchie
- McAvoy
- Swayman

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
Well, after that press conference the question is not should we trade Jack. The new question is what can we get for him? He had several chances to say he wants to stay and didn't do it. He's gone.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Could be demanding out

Alright, so Jack's gone. Reinhart's going. Ullmark/McCabe probably don't come back.

That went about as bad as it could really.

And now the Pegulas are going to force Adams to come out on Monday and dance on a hot-plate.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
I can promise, if he is traded we as a fans will be very disappointed with return. Very rarely star is traded for very good return. Also when this gone public everyone and their cat knows that he wants out and thus lowering value.:help:

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
We have no reason or need to trade Eichel right now. But I'm open to the idea of a kings ransom overpayment for him.

If the return isn't an obvious upgrade to the current roster and prospect pool then we're happy to keep Eichel.

So am I. I want nothing LESS that multiple #1 picks from at least 2 seasons, multiple NHL-ready prospects and at least 2 players who can step into the lineup immediately. Buffalo needs to make it clear(IF they are planning on trading Eichel): "You want Captain Jack? Then you'll have to pay through the nose to get him."

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
I can promise, if he is traded we as a fans will be very disappointed with return. Very rarely star is traded for very good return. Also when this gone public everyone and their cat knows that he wants out and thus lowering value.:help:
Well, that's true unless you have a team out there like Buffalo

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
So am I. I want nothing LESS that multiple #1 picks from at least 2 seasons, multiple NHL-ready prospects and at least 2 players who can step into the lineup immediately. Buffalo needs to make it clear(IF they are planning on trading Eichel): "You want Captain Jack? Then you'll have to pay through the nose to get him."
Who cares, it's the owners, they f*** it up until they either quit or get lucky big time. I already said this about the Bills, but chances are there they f*** them up too. Bad owners do bad things.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Damn, they must return at least one elite prospect and the first round, this is the very minimum, you cannot make a ROR 2.0 deal.

Reactions: ckg927

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Who cares, it's the owners, they f*** it up until they either quit or get lucky big time. I already said this about the Bills, but chances are there they f*** them up too. Bad owners do bad things.

Excuse me, but I care. Like a lot of us, I've put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears being a fan of this team over the years. I'm tired of the ineptitude that this team calls ownership. The Pegulas should sell the team to someone that will give a damn about the Sabres and do what's necessary to repairs the many rifts with fans. If not, they should let the team DIE(as in, move them the hell out of Buffalo). Better to get your heart ripped out in one fell swoop than to succumb to death by a thousand cuts as we're doing now. And I'd bet a lot of people feel the same way I do, but they don't have the guts to openly say so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad