How Open Are You to Trading Eichel? A Methodical Approach.

How open are you to trading Eichel?

• Total voters

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
If you are trading Jack then it is rebuild with the hopes of replacing him with Wright or Bedard over the next 2 years. If Jack goes then Sam is out the door too. He has been here a year longer with no team success to show for it. He will definitely want a chance for playoff success immediately. It would suck but with a little draft luck and some proper minds to build correctly they could finally be on the right path.

or they could continue to suck for the foreseeable future.:help:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Only if he wants out. You can’t trade Eichel and be a better team now. Trading him means you are getting young pieces, picks back. It has to be a deal that helps to rebuild the team. IE. Byfield, Turcotte, unprotected 1sts.

To me Eichel is not the be all end all. Great talent but a lot of questions about his attitude and leadership. I look at a kid like Shane Wright in the 2022 draft. Superstar talent and oozes leadership and character. I don’t see Eichel with that combo. But you can’t ROR the deal. It has to be a grand slam return and build the team properly.

Only from the internet.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
With what’s been happening with the NYR this past week, expect them to make a serious run at Eichel. A lot more serious than the BS trade offers from Rangers fans.

The price would be very steep but never say never.
I saw some Rangers fan on twitter suggest Laf, Fox, and 2 1sts

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I wouldn’t trade him under any circumstance. Full stop. I’d watch him sit out an entire season and ruin his legacy before I traded him.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I thought as a kid selecting Jack eichel was going to lead to Stanley cups and be the best team ever

Now we're talking about trading him
I thought as a kid drafting Perreault would lead to big shiny

I then thought as a teenager that drafting Housley, Andreychuk and Cyr would of done it

Was embittered when Turgeon came along

Eichel gave a shimmer of hope but 45yrs of soul crushing quickly dispersed that

Drafting Dahlin was more meh in general suckitude

Beniers will continue that trend

Trading Eichel only because he demands a trade, otherwise he can suck it up and suffer like the fans

Reactions: Eichel9

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Didn't Adam Fox only want to play in New York, after how long will he escape from Buffalo? It hardly made sense to include it in the package, especially since its value is now very high and it would not be profitable.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
If this is even a question then his value is at an all time low. You simply don't trade players of his magnitude from an unfavorable position. If you trade him during the offseason it's a terrible mistake. You trade him when he's red hot and then you question the trade yourself. Don't screw this up Kev.

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
I say only if he wants out. If he did ask for a trade, you trade him, because no good can possibly come out of him sitting out or going public with trade demands. Plus I doubt the Pegulas are going to be okay with sitting a guy making 10 mill.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Regardless of what he says they'll be posts saying what he REALLY meant with replies arguing he REALLY meant something else.
The epidemiologist experts will shuck those credentials to garner PHDs in body language analysis to clue us poor plebes into every nuance, and firmly state with 1000% veracity that he not only demands a trade but only to Boston for no more than a 6th rd pick, and their 10th rated prospect

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Posted a similar thread but locked due to its seemingly rant-like nature, (that's why they call Buffalonians passionate sports fans [Pulling A Duane])

but I wanted to create an all-encompassing Eichel trade thread because it's all I see in the main forums basically and thought it would help to create an independent thread so that the rest of the threads aren't littered by Eichel trade talk.

The thread is designed to discuss the pros of cons of trading, your take on a potential trade, good idea/bad idea, Eichel's value/talent, speculating places he might get traded etc etc.

Because Eichel is the best player and captain, and the rampant trade rumors, I thought that it was thread-worthy. If not feel free to lock her up again.

But I believe people forgot just how superhuman of a season Eichel had in 2020. 50 goal, 95 point pace most of the time, only subsiding at the very very end. The question is, is that his peak? I say that'd be ridiculous. Eichel still has a lot of game left to be grown and is only 24 AKA not even entering a typical human's physical offensive prime. (Until age 25-28.)

A question is: Does the surgery he had impair his ability to play at his top level? I doubt it but I am not a doctor, insight posted in this thread as pertains to that topic would also be appreciated.

IMO: You don't sell low on players EVER. Near when I first made this HF account (A new era in my life:laugh:) I was begging for people to not sell low on ROR and that he'd be PPG on a good team. ROR wasn't yet in his prime at the time, just before. We know how that ended up. Crazy to think Eichel would hit 100 pts.? Absolutely not. 24 is still very young. I want Eichel to be on this team in his prime 25-28.

Trading Eichel now before his prime considered, including his perceived value from his surgery, is the worst strategy possible. Lowest time possible to trade him. I believe there will be a stretch as Eichel matures when he will be a top 3 center in the entire league for a few yrs. (Pulling A MacKinnon) or the very least top 5.

I'm a big believer that you want the best center possible to win a cup and build around that. I don't want a average 1c for a great 1c just for depth. I want a cup. Greater centers do greater things.

For that reason, I'm really not wanting to give Eichel up for anything short of McDavid (Call me a homer, but I would have an equal opinion if Jack wasn't a Sabre based on the glimpses of true greatness I see).
Eichel more dynamic than Matthews in his peak imo and has more term.

Of course the potential benefits of trading him are:
-More depth
-More picks
-Different players
-Dumping 10 mil salary
-Dump a contract
& -Overall try to be a better team.

The risk is that Eichel will O'Rielly you and win a cup while the return ends up being underwhelming, AKA another disaster.
I think this team needs a retool, we have some good young players, a rebuild would be tragically unnecessary IMO. So trading Eichel would set us back. I don't want that.

What say you my fellow Sabres fans? How open are you to trading him? I say, players like Eichel, you build around, personally.

Let's keep things civil and respect everyone's opinions as always of course !
:cool::thumbu:

***Note: Just added the poll question about an hr. later, "Take a risk if it might help improve team". Due to this- the answer to this poll question may not be 100% representative of opinion.***:popcorn:
nable
I'm very into the idea. Word wouldn't be circulating around if he was content here. Realistically, we're on board for another two years before we compete for a playoff spot. There's no reason for a guy with his pedigree to want to handle that. He'll be entering his late 20s when our window begins to open.

I'd be open to any trade offer, honestly. I think Eichel is too good for someone to try and undermine even the most inept of GMs. That said, though, I get so frustrated on the Trade forum when Sabres "fans" just immediately say "nope, lol". If the Rangers wanted to offer Lafreniere and a first round pick, I'm here for it. Every time a poster tries to make a reasonable offer on those boards, however, it's shot down by dipshits who think we'd get whatever we want. In reality, if he wants out, as I think he does, lets get a good young player and a solid pick and save ourselves some money. Then Sabres aren't going to the playoffs anytime soon.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Don't tell Bruins about this thread, I can see 2nd while retaining salary coming back.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I'd be open to it, but only if it improved the franchise significantly. We have so many holes to fill that trading Jack could definitely go a long way to filling a lot of those. That being said you cannot, I repeat CANNOT have another ROR situation. Look how much that move killed this team. They cannot afford to get fleeced by another team especially when it's an asset as valuable as Jack.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Let's look at this draft.. hm ok no clear cut #1.. looks like a pretty meh draft .. i think they should wait and tank another season for the next draft to finally get their elite offensive player.. the problem is though that you can't say for sure they will draft someone like Wright or Lambert because of the lottery.. too bad they missed out on real elite franchise talent in past drafts.. that way they could have gotten a player like Matthews or MacKinnon... wait a MINUTE!

Reactions: sufferer

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't care if he wants out.

If he wants out and his agent leaks it, it will tank his trade value. The same will happen if they move him in June 2022 right before the NMC kicks in and he's due another $7.5M bonus payment.

I'd rather move forward with a grumpy Eichel than trade him for pennies on the dollar and restart a rebuild all over again.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
This entire saga seems like a joke. The improvement seen under Granato should've put much of this talk to bed, let's just take a mulligan on this season given the circumstances.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I'm getting strong "we should trade ROR for a haul" part deux vibes from this poll and a lot of the comments

I'm noping out of this clown show if they trade Eichel for some wingers and a prospect who might pan out as an NHL 2C, or more realistically a center like Strome as the center piece

Reactions: 2 others

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Well he is talking to the media tomorrow so we will have the opportunity to overanalyze his body language and facial expressions and read between and behind every line

I bet he doesn't high-five the second line center after his media availability. Smh

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
I'm getting strong "we should trade ROR for a haul" part deux vibes from this poll and a lot of the comments

I'm noping out of this clown show if they trade Eichel for some wingers and a prospect who might pan out as an NHL 2C, or more realistically a center like Strome as the center piece
It's amazing how history repeats itself.

Eichel had a Hart-worthy season last year, that is WITH Krueger as the coach. Imagine the possibilities.. but no, we have to consider errything.. what if he wants out .. blabla
Keep him, and never mention a trade again! This is the thing with words, once you suggest something, even if it is the contrary of what you mean, it still lingers in the air and becomes sort of a reality in life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad