how on earth did Ovechkin win the Smythe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Ovie had 15 goals which is the most since the 90s (tied with 2009 Sid) but that factor easily puts Ovie ahead of Sid's 27 point Smythe.
Your crazy lmao. Crosby scores his 27 points while being flanked by two rookies. Ovechkin is a winger as well and has far less defensive responsibility and his center had 32 freaking points. Crosby 2017>Ovechkin 2018. Crosby controls the game far more than Ovechkin does. It’s not just about goals

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Did Kuznetsov play on the 3rd line while refusing to forecheck and backcheck, avoiding any kind of physical contact?

Put Crosby as 3C and he would have hit 30+ points against other teams bottom 6. Or do you think facing Eller/Beagle vs Backstrom is the same...?
Hey, I think Crosby did really deserve his Smythe in 2016, but I'm only arguing that if Ovie didn't deserve his Smythe, so Crosby too.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
also i want to say the excessive drinking is setting a very bad example for the kids watching

ovie had a good year because he came into the season in shape, he is going to show up at camp next season with a beer belly

it's embarrassing

Because Ovy is the first player to get hammered after winning the cup? :laugh: :facepalm:

while playing on the same line against the same competition, alex didn't even carry his line and you call him mvp? get outta here

He was clearly driving the bus in the finals.

I admire the stamina of people who wait out till midsummer to start another attempt on Ovechkin. Must be the nutrition.

It kills me that they wait until a full month after the finals to try and attack Ovechkin.

I get its summer & its slow now after UFA..... but really?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
How on Earth did Crosby win the Smythe? Especially in 2016 :rolleyes:

Because he assisted on both the game winning and cup clinching goals in 2016. That simple. (Had Kessel did that they would have been forced to vote for him.)

They were not really that far apart, but Sid also played one game less than Geno thanks to Niskanen, and they were one point apart in 2017.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Because he assisted on both the game winning and cup clinching goals in 2016. That simple. (Had Kessel did that they would have been forced to vote for him.)

They were not really that far apart, but Sid also played one game less than Geno thanks to Niskanen, and they were one point apart in 2017.
Oh lala insecure Pens fans are coming in a bunch today...but as I said before, I think Crosby did really deserve his Smythe in 2016, but I'm only arguing with the OP's thoughts that if Ovie didn't deserve his Smythe, so Crosby didn't deserve his too in 2016.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Getting away from that nonsense, Ovechkin being the leader, scoring all those goals, and frankly...waiting so long for a team worthy around him to get past the 2nd round and to win a Stanley cup, how could it not be Alex?

Only makes sense when you look at all the variables.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh lala insecure Pens fans are coming in a bunch today...but as I said before, I think Crosby did really deserve his Smythe in 2016, but I'm only arguing with the OP's thoughts that if Ovie didn't deserve his Smythe, so Crosby didn't deserve his too in 2016.

I'm far from insecure, and as my posts suggests above.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Troll thread mods should lock and ban.

Ovie was easily best player to anyone watching. Holtby wasn't consistent enough and Kuznetsov was only impressive on stat sheet.

One of the best Smythes since lockout.

You always find a way to make me laugh. There is not a single thing in what you said that is true.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
I ask you the same about Ovie and Kuznetsov? Because if Ovie didn't deserve his Smythe this year, Crosby didn't deserve his for sure too in 2016.

-Perhaps Crosby having 3 game winning goals in 2016 with Kessel having zero had something to do with it. Phil Kessel wasnt even in the running in 2016 for a Conn trophy as a 3rd line winger. It was Crosby vs Murray.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Media just votes on whoever has the better story or "is due" when it comes to awards. They create these really dumb narratives on why a player who isn't the best should win. Can't take any award the media votes on seriously.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Kuznetsov had the Game 6 OT goal vs Pittsburgh but overall Ovechkin had significantly more "clutch" plays in the playoffs, to me that's why he deserved it over Kuzy.

Game 3 GWG vs Pitt with 1:07 left in the game
Game 5 GWA vs Pitt to Vrana with like 3 minutes left.
Game 7 GWG against Tampa
Assisted that Kuzy OT goal
2 goals to eliminate Columbus
Huge goal game 3 vs Vegas

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I think one of the larger factors in Crosby winning in 2016 (and the argument for Kuzy in 2018) was that he happened to factor into the most crucial goals. I'd say that's even more true of Kuznetsov in 2018, Ovechkin was getting points but Kuznetsov seemed to be creating out of nothing in the most important moments.
Yeah, except that's not true. See my post above.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Kuznetsov had the Game 6 OT goal vs Pittsburgh but overall Ovechkin had significantly more "clutch" plays in the playoffs, to me that's why he deserved it over Kuzy.

Game 3 GWG vs Pitt with 1:07 left in the game
Game 5 GWA vs Pitt to Vrana with like 3 minutes left.
Game 7 GWG against Tampa
Assisted that Kuzy OT goal
2 goals to eliminate Columbus
Huge goal game 3 vs Vegas
OP is a clear homer Pens fan, he even said it himself so this thread about bashing Ovie again is not really surprising at all.

And when it's an Ovie thread, insecure Pens fans are coming in a bunch. :rolleyes:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
crosby drew the toughest matchups and kessel only outscored him by 4 points, and kessel doesn't play defense you can never give him mvp over crosby

kuznetsov played on the same line as ovi and outplayed and outscored him

the caps won the cup because holtby finally played in the playoffs like the vezina winner he was in the regular season

this is not even a valid comparison, you guys just like to crap on crosby every chance you get

fun story: did you know he is #1 of the active nhl goalies in playoff gaa and save percentage? wow!
oh and did you know he is at the top all time in the nhl playoffs in gaa and save percentage?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
-Perhaps Crosby having 3 game winning goals in 2016 with Kessel having zero had something to do with it. Phil Kessel wasnt even in the running in 2016 for a Conn trophy as a 3rd line winger. It was Crosby vs Murray.

Not at all for the Pens perspective.

Crosby/Kessel
Murray

I'm quite sure the media saw the same thing as most others who saw how dominant the Pens were at suppressing shots. It may have looked that way and wanting Murray to be this Knight in shiny armor, but Murray saw so less rubber.

He was easily 3rd in running for the Pens.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
The only reason Kuznetsov finished ahead of Ovechkin by 5 points was due to piling up points in the game 4 blowout vs Vegas. They were neck-and-neck in points throughout the playoffs prior to that game.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
Not at all for the Pens perspective.

Crosby/Kessel
Murray

I'm quite sure the media saw the same thing as most others who saw how dominant the Pens were at suppressing shots. It may have looked that way and wanting Murray to be this Knight in shiny armor, but Murray saw so less rubber.

He was easily 3rd in running for the Pens.

-In the voting, you are correct. In actual numbers with a 2.08 GAA and 92.3% save percentage, he was right there.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Worst Smythe ever? LOL. You can make a case for Kuznetsov, but let's be honest Ovechkin not only produced about the same scoresheet as Kuzy, but he also set the tone in every series and every big game.

People also seen to always blow off the impact that his physical game has in these playoff series. Kuzy doesn't bring those things.

Worst Any the ever? Please

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
an assist is worth just as much as a goal on the stat sheet, how many goals would ovie have without kuznetsov setting him up?

How many assists would Kuzy have without Ov finishing? 2 examples. The pot in game 5 finals. Backstrom airmail a rink wide pass thru the box that doesn't land til he needed to shoot it. Eller passed thru the crease on a pot into Oveckin's feet. Only some as elite as 8 would have scored either of those

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad