how on earth did Ovechkin win the Smythe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
crosby drew the toughest matchups and kessel only outscored him by 4 points, and kessel doesn't play defense you can never give him mvp over crosby

kuznetsov played on the same line as ovi and outplayed and outscored him

the caps won the cup because holtby finally played in the playoffs like the vezina winner he was in the regular season

this is not even a valid comparison, you guys just like to crap on crosby every chance you get

What you say is true, but I don't have a problem with him winning it. I almost thought Holtby should've won it to be honest.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You just confirmed your a Pens fan trolling the Caps

Ovie had better Smythe than Crosby in any year. Must kill you inside.

Lol he was not better than Crosby was in his second Conn Smythe run, are you kidding me?

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
I watched every minute of every Caps game. I think the Caps had 4 or 5 guys that were fantastic in the playoffs. Ovi was very good. Not sure he was the best. Kuzy was very dynamic and controlled the play whenever he touched the puck. Holtby was very solid. The turning point for the Caps in these playoffs was when Holtby started game 3 of the Columbus series. It they stuck with Grubauer the Caps dont get by the first round and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
If I had to pick one player. I probably would have picked Kuzy.

Ovechkin managed to control play even when he wasn't touching the puck. Something people don't seem to understand, for whatever reason. Yes, points and dangles are sexy, but the amount of work Ovechkin put in when he wasn't the center of attention was absolutely insane. Combine that with the work he put in when he *was* the center of attention and it's easy to understand why he would come away with the CS over a dazzling Kuznetsov.

Wilson was more physical, Kuzy was more skilled, but Ovechkin was the absolute perfect balance of the two and allowed his line to transition back and forth between finesse and power seamlessly. I would not have thrown a fit if Kuzy had won it, but I also don't see why people are throwing fits that Ovechkin did. This thread is weird.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
meh. Let Ovi have his moment.

I think clearly Kuzy was their best player and he amd Ovi played on the same line. But It's not like Ovi didn't have 15 goals himself and 27 points.

Kuzy was IMO by far the MVP on the Caps though. Drove offense and just created chance after chance, really amazing player and killed the Pens. And this isn't a Kessel/Crosby situation where Kessel had more points but got easier matchups. Ovi and Kuzy played on the same line, so both got the same matchups.

I'd have given it to Kuzy, because he had 5 more points and plays C. But Ovy had a CS worthy season too and it's really nothing to complain about.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
meh. Let Ovi have his moment.

I think clearly Kuzy was their best player and he amd Ovi played on the same line. But It's not like Ovi didn't have 14 goals himself and 24 points.

Kuzy was IMO by far the MVP on the Caps though. Drove offense and just created chance after chance, really amazing player and killed the Pens. And this isn't a Kessel/Crosby situation where Kessel had more points but got easier matchups. Ovi and Kuzy played on the same line, so both got the same matchups.

I'd have given it to Kuzy, because he had 8 more points and plays C. But Ovy had a CS worthy season too and it's really nothing to complain about.
5 more points not 8. And Centers get more points by default of the position. Ovie's points were more important

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Bizarre that everyone keeps saying Kessel should have won when Couture had 30 points and was better than Crosby in every conceivable way.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Kessel was better than Crosby, but so were Murray and Letang.
I might add Bonino in there too. He was better than Crosby.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
5 more points not 8. And Centers get more points by default of the position. Ovie's points were more important

It wasn't just the points for me.
Just watching the games Kuzy was the guy driving that line.

Most points since Malkin, and my god is he a tremendous passer.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He too had a CS worthy run. With 23 points in 20 games.

He could've won it too.

But Kuzy played more games and was facing the toughest comp and finished with 32 points.
Kuznetsov was the worst defensive center on the Caps.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ovy blocked the shot that also sprung Wilson on a controversial goal.

More so a Maatta blind pass in the middle of the ice.

What a dumb play. Still not over it. He could've just sent the puck down the boards and let Crosby work a tired Caps team behind the net.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Kuznetsov was the worst defensive center on the Caps.

Like saying Ovi is the worst defensive winger on the caps. So give the CS to Oshie...

Kuzy wasn't bad defensively at all. I didn't see it. Most the time he was out there, he had the puck.

I saw Kuzy fast on pucks and actually causing a bunch of Turnovers. He was quite good defensively.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
It wasn't just the points for me.
Just watching the games Kuzy was the guy driving that line.

Most points since Malkin, and my god is he a tremendous passer.
I think Ovy really set the overall tone.I'm not going to disagree with you but Ovy was taking the body ,blocking shots.I realize its subjective but when i was watching Kuzy might have driven the line but Ovy was driving the bus. Holtbe got in the conversation with one save but on the whole was spectacular.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ovechkin was one of the most consistent players in the playoffs in a long time.

At least three goals in all four series. Four goals, one assist in the four clinching games. Fourth in the playoffs in hits with 81, a superstar player mind you, not some plug. Led his team (and obviously the playoffs) in shots and shooting percentage. Led all Capitals forwards in ice time per game, 20:44.

He was easily the Conn Smythe winner this season. Go back and find one thing in 2016 that Crosby led the playoffs in, faceoffs, assists, even try to dig out some obscure advanced stat, good luck.

I know, I know, "eye test". ;)

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Like saying Ovi is the worst defensive winger on the caps. So give the CS to Oshie...

Kuzy wasn't bad defensively at all. I didn't see it. Most the time he was out there, he had the puck.

I saw Kuzy fast on pucks and actually causing a bunch of Turnovers. He was quite good defensively.
Ovie is one of best defensive players on caps

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think Ovy really set the overall tone.I'm not going to disagree with you but Ovy was taking the body ,blocking shots.I realize its subjective but when i was watching Kuzy might have driven the line but Ovy was driving the bus. Holtbe got in the conversation with one save but on the whole was spectacular.

Well..with Holtby you could aurgue he saved their playoff lives and got the ball rolling. With Grubaurer going down 0-2 vs CBJ. Caps looked defeated. But Holtby came in and won the next 4 with some great goaltending. He did save their season

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ovechkin was one of the most consistent players in the playoffs in a long time.

At least three goals in all four series. Four goals, one assist in the four clinching games. Fourth in the playoffs in hits with 81, a superstar player mind you, not some plug. Led his team (and obviously the playoffs) in shots and shooting percentage. Led all Capitals forwards in ice time per game, 20:44.

He was easily the Conn Smythe winner this season. Go back and find one thing in 2016 that Crosby led the playoffs in, faceoffs, assists, even try to dig out some obscure advanced stat, good luck.

I know, I know, "eye test". ;)

Not here to compare CS wins

But I do think Ovy had a better playoffs this year than Sid did in 2016, it's just that No one on the Pens really outplayed Sid.

Sid did have like 3 GWGs. And Really wasn't playing with any spectacular linemates.

Letang was probably the only guy who you could say was more important than Sid. He was the #1 D and lead in TOI and was solid defensively.

Kuzy was just that good these playoffs and outplayed Ovi. While no Pen outplayed Crosby...But Ovy did have a better playoffs than 2016 Crosby. Ovi Just happend to have an amazing linemate in Kuzy who had the best playoff run in a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad