how on earth did Ovechkin win the Smythe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Not here to compare CS wins

But I do think Ovy had a better playoffs this year than Sid did in 2016, it's just that No one on the Pens really outplayed Sid.

Sid did have like 3 GWGs. And Really wasn't playing with any spectacular linemates.

Letang was probably the only guy who you could say was more important than Sid. He was the #1 D and lead in TOI and was solid defensively.

Kuzy was just that good these playoffs and outplayed Ovi. While no Pen outplayed Crosby...But Ovy did have a better playoffs than 2016 Crosby. Ovi Just happend to have an amazing linemate in Kuzy who had the best playoff run in a decade.
"The best playoff run in a decade"? I hope you only mean "Capitals."

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Many times, it goes to the media's favourite, unless there is an overwhelmingly tremendous performance from someone else. Ovy over coming the odds was The Big Story, and thus the media will always portray this Cup as Ovy redeeming himself, even if Kuznetsov was the better performer in these playoffs.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Many times, it goes to the media's favourite, unless there is an overwhelmingly tremendous performance from someone else. Ovy over coming the odds was The Big Story, and thus the media will always portray this Cup as Ovy redeeming himself, even if Kuznetsov was the better performer in these playoffs.
Prior to Crosby's win, the CS went to Williams and Keith, both of whom had TWO players on their teams with far greater media clout.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Prior to Crosby's win, the CS went to Williams and Keith, both of whom had TWO players on their teams with far greater media clout.

I believe in both those cases though, the teams, had just won other cups recently, with 12' Kings winning and Quick (bigger name) getting MVP, and 13'Hawks winning and Kane (bigger name) getting MVP.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I believe in both those cases though, the teams, had just won other cups recently, with 12' Kings winning and Quick (bigger name) getting MVP, and 13'Hawks winning and Kane (bigger name) getting MVP.
Yeah, I think Kessel would have got the Conn Smythe he deserved had the 2016 and 2017 playoffs been reversed. As it played out though, the media was afraid that Crosby would never get one.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Not here to compare CS wins

But I do think Ovy had a better playoffs this year than Sid did in 2016, it's just that No one on the Pens really outplayed Sid.

Sid did have like 3 GWGs. And Really wasn't playing with any spectacular linemates.

Letang was probably the only guy who you could say was more important than Sid. He was the #1 D and lead in TOI and was solid defensively.

Kuzy was just that good these playoffs and outplayed Ovi. While no Pen outplayed Crosby...But Ovy did have a better playoffs than 2016 Crosby. Ovi Just happend to have an amazing linemate in Kuzy who had the best playoff run in a decade.

When was the last time a Conn Smythe winner had a playoff round similar to Crosby's round against the Capitals and then also went scoreless in the SCF?

Kessel was better. I don't know why Penguins fans are fixated on trying to downgrade his playoffs. He was very, very good (Phil).

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
When was the last time a Conn Smythe winner had a playoff round similar to Crosby's round against the Capitals and then also went scoreless in the SCF?

Kessel was better. I don't know why Penguins fans are fixated on trying to downgrade his playoffs. He was very, very good (Phil).
I mean...Crosby was fantastic vs the Sharks. clear best Penguin..just didn't get
any puck luck. But watching the games...he was creating the most chances.

Kessel had a measley 3 more points not facing the top comp...not taking important Draws or playing steady defense.

Crosby was clearly better overall...

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
crosby drew the toughest matchups and kessel only outscored him by 4 points, and kessel doesn't play defense you can never give him mvp over crosby

kuznetsov played on the same line as ovi and outplayed and outscored him

the caps won the cup because holtby finally played in the playoffs like the vezina winner he was in the regular season

this is not even a valid comparison, you guys just like to crap on crosby every chance you get

Don’t worry, I absolutely agree with you. I’ve been telling this to everyone. Most people don’t agree but who cares. That’s 100% the way i see it. So you’re not alone haha.

And getting called out for a crappy post by “illpucks” is just too ironic.

Reactions: Sentinel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad