how on earth did Ovechkin win the Smythe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Gosh no, agreed. They were focused on his six game winners while Hasek is taking what we'd call today a lottery team to the Cup final and only lost three games on the way.
Yeah, that should have been one of the rare ones where a player on the losing team won the Conn Smythe.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ovechkin was a lot more deserving than Crosby.

1st in the Playoffs in Goals.
2nd in the Playoffs in Points.
2nd in the Playoffs in Goals Created.

Not to mention, his emotional engagement was finally at the level necessary for the Caps to get it done.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Ovechkin was close. I think Kuznetsov was clearly the MVP though. Same as Kessel the year Crosby won. But it’s not like it was some sort of travesty. Both Ovy and Sid had great playoffs.

Basically this. Voters tend to just vote on who's the best "story" of the playoffs.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
He deserved it. Why do people think Kessel getting 3 more points means he deserved it more?
I ask you the same about Ovie and Kuznetsov? Because if Ovie didn't deserve his Smythe this year, Crosby didn't deserve his for sure too in 2016.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Kessel played on a 3rd line facing much easier competition. It's not the same.
Maybe but Kessel was on fire during all the playoffs in 2016 no matter the line he was playing. I'd even say that if Kessel didn't play so well, the Pens don't win the Cup in 2016.

Reactions: JenniferH

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
yeah i'm a pens fan, how could you not be?

crosby has 3 cups and no ovie did not best crosby's smythe year, must kill you inside and you are the one that decided to make this a crosby thread, this is about ovie getting outplayed by 2 of his teammates not crosby
LOL Pens fans at their best again...:rolleyes:
Summer is too hot for you? :laugh:

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I think one of the larger factors in Crosby winning in 2016 (and the argument for Kuzy in 2018) was that he happened to factor into the most crucial goals. I'd say that's even more true of Kuznetsov in 2018, Ovechkin was getting points but Kuznetsov seemed to be creating out of nothing in the most important moments.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think one of the larger factors in Crosby winning in 2016 (and the argument for Kuzy in 2018) was that he happened to factor into the most crucial goals. I'd say that's even more true of Kuznetsov in 2018, Ovechkin was getting points but Kuznetsov seemed to be creating out of nothing in the most important moments.
This. Kuz just played a much more difficult role than Kessel did in 2016. He just played a bigger role and deserved it over Ovie.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Ovie had 15 goals which is the most since the 90s (tied with 2009 Sid) but that factor easily puts Ovie ahead of Sid's 27 point Smythe.

Malkin had 14 goals, one less, and 10 more assists than Ovechkin. Malkins and Ovechkins Smythes aren’t even in the same tier.

I also loved how you said Ovechkin had the most goals since the 90’s and then added that he’s in fact tied with Crosby and used it as a foot note at the end of your argument. Cute.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
LOL Pens fans at their best again...:rolleyes:
Summer is too hot for you? :laugh:

I’m sitting over here cool as a cucumber. How warm are you? I’ve been alive for my team winning 5 Stanley Cups. How about you?

Enjoy the Stanley Cup. It’s amazing how many Capitals fans are trying to rub it in Penguin fans faces when the Pens franchise has won more than only 1-2 other teams in the past 10 years. I’ll take it as a Pens fan.

We can finally say the Pens/Caps is a true powerhouse rivalry.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

I have no idea how anyone could have watched the caps postseason and typed this.

3 late third period or ot game winners against the Penguins created by:

Ovechkin + Backstrom
vrana + ovechkin
Kuznetsov + Ovechkin

And in the other win against the pens Ovie had a goal and kuz had zero points.

Kuz leaves game 2 against the knights in the first period with the caps down by 1. Ovechkin scores a goal and caps win.

Otherwise they were pretty even. Kuznetsov had 9 secondary assists to Ovechkin's 5, and that noise is almost entirely the point difference between them.

Reactions: Hippasus

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Bizarre that everyone keeps saying Kessel should have won when Couture had 30 points and was better than Crosby in every conceivable way.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Kessel was better than Crosby, but so were Murray and Letang.

Crosby was a complete passenger against the Caps in 2016 - arguably the most difficult series - and Crosby's line got dominated and shut down by Ovechkin's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casanova

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
i watched every washington game and he was not their best player, it was holtby or kuznetsov

worse smythe ever? i say yes

Jesus man. I can see why you would want to mentally block out OV's last minute game winner against the Pens but this is ridiculous. Tied for most goals scored in his era, and was great all around.

Worst OP ever?

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
I’m sitting over here cool as a cucumber. How warm are you? I’ve been alive for my team winning 5 Stanley Cups. How about you?

Enjoy the Stanley Cup. It’s amazing how many Capitals fans are trying to rub it in Penguin fans faces when the Pens franchise has won more than only 1-2 other teams in the past 10 years. I’ll take it as a Pens fan.

We can finally say the Pens/Caps is a true powerhouse rivalry.
Sure because Pens fans never did it before...:rolleyes:

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Jesus man. I can see why you would want to mentally block out OV's last minute game winner against the Pens but this is ridiculous. Tied for most goals scored in his era, and was great all around.

Worst OP ever?
No I've seen worse OP here but he is among homer OP ever for sure.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Yeah I think it should have been kuzy. A much more dominating player at this stage of ov career. He drove the bus by stats and eye test. However OV would be my second choice he was great

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I ask you the same about Ovie and Kuznetsov? Because if Ovie didn't deserve his Smythe this year, Crosby didn't deserve his for sure too in 2016.

Did Kuznetsov play on the 3rd line while refusing to forecheck and backcheck, avoiding any kind of physical contact?

Put Crosby as 3C and he would have hit 30+ points against other teams bottom 6. Or do you think facing Eller/Beagle vs Backstrom is the same...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad