How much do we miss Prust?

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
I hate when fans play GMs. This cap hit, that cap hit... Money-Schmoney... WTF cares? The team is less without him. Rangers did not replace Prust, end of story. As such he is irreplaceable until proven otherwise. Another Sather's mistake.

Vickers8

I hate when fans play GMs. This cap hit, that cap hit... Money-Schmoney... WTF cares? The team is less without him. Rangers did not replace Prust, end of story. As such he is irreplaceable until proven otherwise. Another Sather's mistake.

Halpern-Powe-Prust would have been a nice 4th line

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY

How can you ignore that? I bet if this was the dark era Rangers we would've easily matched Montreal's offer. We live in a world where managing the salary cap is part of personnel management.

*Bob Richards*

How shortsighted of some people to worry about a little thing like the cap which went down.

MorrisWanchuk

Sep 23, 2008
Seems like I'm not in consensus. I'm really not bothered by his absence. More bothered that we got Nash.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

This team's front office surely cared. Do you not understand that we can't pay a fourth liner 2.5 million dollars? Michael Del Zotto has the same cap hit, plus an extra 50K. Which one would you rather have? Powe was playing very well for us on the fourth line, bringing energy and PK abilities.

*Bob Richards*

And how is it another Sather mistake? Don't we usually equate him with reckless spending? Now the guy plays it smart and he's still an idiot? Geez....

The Lone Ranger

Dec 10, 2011
As I said, I didn't start this thread to second-guess Sather. Montreal made Prust a generous offer that NY couldn't match w/o some payroll repercussions down the line. Prusty made the most of his FA opportunity. It's just business.

What I'm saying is that,.... losing Prust has made a big difference to the Rangers. Yes, he's one player. A bottom 6 guy. On paper, one could argue that Powe and Asham fills the void for less $$$$. But the results on the ice tell me otherwise. Last year, we were much better on the PK. We were better at holding onto leads in the 3rd period. Prusty played a big part in all that. Heck, it seems like opponents are getting more physical and taking liberties against Gaborik this season. Prust wouldn't have stood for that.

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
I don't think we miss him at all anymore. Powe is just as good of a player as Prust is and he is a lot cheaper. Prust is a dime a dozen type of player...their not that difficult to replace imo.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
As an outside fan, Im soo glad Prust is gone. He may not seem that good, but I hated playing against him. He's really good at what he does. Basically a pest, and every team needs a guy like that in their Bottom 6

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
As an outside fan, Im soo glad Prust is gone. He may not seem that good, but I hated playing against him. He's really good at what he does. Basically a pest, and every team needs a guy like that in their Bottom 6

I think calling Prust a pest is completely wrong. Barnaby, Avery and Tikkanen were pests. Prust is a different kind of player.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
It might not be a right time to bump this thread and I really don't mean to troll or anything. Just want to comment on Prust.

This man brings ehat cannot be measured with stats. I'll throw the old cliché ''watch him play'' but in his case, it's 100% true. The intensity and hard work he brings is great for this team. He forechecks like very few players can, he's relentless and even though he doesn't appear often on the score-sheet, you can be sure whenever he gets in the offensive zone, something's gonna happen. Be it a scoring chance, a penalty in his favor and whatnot. He brings character and even though he isn't big, adds a much needed toughness and grit to Montreal who are a smaller than average team. I'm not scared for him when he's on the ice and we know he can handle himself and protect the younger players. Again, none of that shows up on the stats on NHL.com you gotta watch him to appreciate it.

It's only the first year but from what I hear Rangers fans saying, we can expect some more years like that. The best part is that he seldom takes stupid penalties. It's even more remarkable when you consider his style of play. I'm very happy with this signing and if I'm Bergevin, I'm not looking back. Great player.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Honestly, not that much. He's a good role player. But as a GM you don't delegate $2.5 million to a 3rd line / 4th line player who only pots a handful of goals a season.

That's my opinion, and I really liked Prust during his tenure here, but I felt that Sather honestly made the right decision to let him go.

tjs252

Feb 10, 2007
In a salary cap sport you can never, ever, overpay role players. It'd be great if he accepted the Rangers' offer, but he's not a keep him at all costs player. As it is, we have 4 - Lundqvist, Nash, Gaborik, McDonagh. It's scary to think about paying all four what they deserve while then overpaying replaceable parts.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
In a salary cap sport you can never, ever, overpay role players. It'd be great if he accepted the Rangers' offer, but he's not a keep him at all costs player. As it is, we have 4 - Lundqvist, Nash, Gaborik, McDonagh. It's scary to think about paying all four what they deserve while then overpaying replaceable parts.

That's the thing though. You can never overpay role players by the amount you can overpay star players. Worst case, Prust becomes a liability and we're stuck with his cap hit 4 years. I'd take that over overpaying a star by 5 million over 5 years. Usually when looking at who's making too much on the team, you start by the impact players and what they bring relative to what they're being paid. You rarely crap on the 3rd and 4th liners because their salaries really don't cripple teams that much. Prust at 2.5 really isn't a big deal even if he was half the player he is. Gomez at 7.5 was a big deal.

Kershaw

I miss Fedotenko more TBH. He was the the smartest guy on our shutdown line.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Didn't he also leave because his girlfriend lives up in Montreal?

I think the Rangers could have offered him $3 million and he still would have left to Montreal.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
That's the thing though. You can never overpay role players by the amount you can overpay star players. Worst case, Prust becomes a liability and we're stuck with his cap hit 4 years. I'd take that over overpaying a star by 5 million over 5 years. Usually when looking at who's making too much on the team, you start by the impact players and what they bring relative to what they're being paid. You rarely crap on the 3rd and 4th liners because their salaries really don't cripple teams that much. Prust at 2.5 really isn't a big deal even if he was half the player he is. Gomez at 7.5 was a big deal.

Here at HF NYR we crap on everyone.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I guess. :laugh:

I really hope he can keep playing like that. This style of play is sustainable for only so long. Good thing the season is short. Hopefully we acquire some bigger bodies to take some of the workload off him.

Careful or I see Stu Bickel for Prust and Montreal's first in the near future.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Prust unfortunately and rightfully so took more than what we were willing to offer him.. oh well and yes it sucks we miss him but wasnt a mistake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad