How much do we miss Prust?

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I hate when fans play GMs. This cap hit, that cap hit... Money-Schmoney... WTF cares? The team is less without him. Rangers did not replace Prust, end of story. As such he is irreplaceable until proven otherwise. Another Sather's mistake.

You're doing the same thing . . .

You'd be hardpressed to find someone who think less of Sather as an executive than me. That said, not succumbing to Prust's contractual demands was unquestionably the right move on the Rangers' part.

The same exact things were said about a multitude of role players, including plenty of 4th liners like Prust, season after season.

"This team really misses [Insert dime-a-dozen 4th liner's name here]."
"We could really use [Insert dime-a-dozen 4th liner's name here]."

Oh no!!! :scared:

Somehow, we made it through the dark times of losing Jed Ortmeyer. Hard to believe, but we persevered despite not having Colton Orr on our roster. Sjostrom, Prucha, Strudwick, etc.

Prusts come and Prusts go.

You want to talk about a role player that we should have held on to? How about Pascal Dupuis? :dunno:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Didn't he also leave because his girlfriend lives up in Montreal?

I think the Rangers could have offered him $3 million and he still would have left to Montreal.

According to an article, the Predators and Flames offered Prust more money after taxes than what the Canadiens offered at $2.5M per season but Therrien and Scott Mellanby went right to his parents house where he was staying at the opening day of free agency to give him a #8 Prust sweater and say they needed him in Montreal.

Therrien told him that he envisioned him on the third line, sometimes the top six if needed due to injuries and he could see him earning PP time (he has played 8:38 of PP so no, we don't play him regularly there).

Basically, Montreal went the extra mile. It was a big commitment by the Canadiens to take a $2.5M hit on the cap but Prust didn't go for the most money. He went for the team that wanted him the most.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I loved Prust as a Ranger. He had a great combo of PK, forecheck, and the ability to find the right times to fight. He was a heart and soul guy who could contribute every night.

However, Sather made the right move... you cannot have the Nash, Gaborik, Richards, and keep your McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin etc... while paying a solid 3rd line/exceptional 4th liner 2.5 million. I wish you could, but you can't. I miss Prust, but it is what it is... I'm glad Prust got his money, and I'm happy that the Rangers should be able to hold onto their young core players.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
You're doing the same thing . . .

You'd be hardpressed to find someone who think less of Sather as an executive than me. That said, not succumbing to Prust's contractual demands was unquestionably the right move on the Rangers' part.

The same exact things were said about a multitude of role players, including plenty of 4th liners like Prust, season after season.

"This team really misses [Insert dime-a-dozen 4th liner's name here]."
"We could really use [Insert dime-a-dozen 4th liner's name here]."

Oh no!!! :scared:

Somehow, we made it through the dark times of losing Jed Ortmeyer. Hard to believe, but we persevered despite not having Colton Orr on our roster. Sjostrom, Prucha, Strudwick, etc.

Prusts come and Prusts go.

You want to talk about a role player that we should have held on to? How about Pascal Dupuis? :dunno:

Rangers persevered without all and everyone. Wrong argument, IMHO.
Orts was a damaged good, still was difficult to replace. I don't find Dupuis being as big of a loss as Dom Moore was. I liked Betts too. Those guys you listed were replaced pretty soon.
I was not saying Slats should have paid Prust all he (or his agent) wanted, but he should have found the replacement for Prust. I don't think it is possible, really.

If Callahan paid 5 million this year (4,275K hit), how much less a very similar, but less skilled Prust would be valued? I'd say half. That half is 2.5 million Prust wanted. Keep in mind in reality this season Prust is more equal to Callahan in his play than to, say, Sjostrom.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
This team's front office surely cared. Do you not understand that we can't pay a fourth liner 2.5 million dollars? Michael Del Zotto has the same cap hit, plus an extra 50K. Which one would you rather have? Powe was playing very well for us on the fourth line, bringing energy and PK abilities.

MDZ is still a slave, while Prust was a free man. Can't compare. Powe is Feds replacement, not Prust's.
Slats didn't want to upset other players similar to Prust, like Rupp. He was wrong equating the two. So is majority of this Board.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
MDZ is still a slave, while Prust was a free man. Can't compare. Powe is Feds replacement, not Prust's.
Slats didn't want to upset other players similar to Prust, like Rupp. He was wrong equating the two. So is majority of this Board.
Thank god you're not running the team then. sorry, but with our cap situation, we can't be overpaying character guys.

*Bob Richards*

Slats was wrong because he didn't overpay Prust which would have made the other players demand similar overpayment?

What....

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
According to an article, the Predators and Flames offered Prust more money after taxes than what the Canadiens offered at $2.5M per season but Therrien and Scott Mellanby went right to his parents house where he was staying at the opening day of free agency to give him a #8 Prust sweater and say they needed him in Montreal.

Therrien told him that he envisioned him on the third line, sometimes the top six if needed due to injuries and he could see him earning PP time (he has played 8:38 of PP so no, we don't play him regularly there).

Basically, Montreal went the extra mile. It was a big commitment by the Canadiens to take a $2.5M hit on the cap but Prust didn't go for the most money. He went for the team that wanted him the most.

Oh, so other teams offered him more money but he still signed with Montreal, not because of his girlfriend, but because of this?

Right. /s

*Bob Richards*

Like to see Haley get a shot with the big club

I did too but, I'm just reiterating what several posters have said who know the Whale way better than I do, apparently he isn't playing up to snuff and is in some animosity with the organization as a whole.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Thank god you're not running the team then. sorry, but with our cap situation, we can't be overpaying character guys.

Callahan, a character player, is paid 5 millon. No Prust, no character to the entire team. So far. I am not shedding tears here, just explaining. Switch Prust and Asham (player that moron Slats considrered a replacement for Prust) and we beat Hubs last night, also would look better any other night.

*Bob Richards*

Callahan, a character player, is paid 5 millon. No Prust, no character to the entire team. So far. I am not shedding tears here, just explaining. Switch Prust and Asham (player that moron Slats considrered a replacement for Prust) and we beat Hubs last night, also would look better any other night.

When Prust can produce offensive production, even within the same universe as Callahan, then maybe you have a point.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
A character guy with 29 goals? Seriously? Prust doesn't have the same amount of offensive talent as Callahan has in his pinky.

And thanks for paying a visit to the parallel universe where we keep Prust and telling me that we win yesterday's game.

*Bob Richards*

Prust has 24 goals in his entire career. Callahan scored 29 while missing 6 games. He also scored 23 playing only 60 games the year before and was one shy of 20 the year before that.

He's also our Captain. Comparing him to Prust is laughable at best.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Prust has 24 goals in his entire career. Callahan scored 29 while missing 6 games. He also scored 23 playing only 60 games the year before and was one shy of 20 the year before that.

He's also our Captain. Comparing him to Prust is laughable at best.

Captain? There is no such a role in the game. It's a locker room job. Very important one, but not in the game.
Scoring has little to with role. That is why there are scoring forwards and defensive forwards. There are scoring role players and defensive role players. Each role is important. Callahan scores, yet he is a role player. Boyle is a Power Forward. The fact he doesn't score much won't change his role.
Prust plays on 1st line for Canadiens. Did he become a sniper? A power forward? No. Still role player. Can Trerrien make Callahan out of him? Maybe, because Prust has that very important ingredient in him that make them similar - heart.Not always sufficient, but always required aspect.

Last edited:

*Bob Richards*

Captain? There is no such a role in the game. It's a locker room job. Very important one, but not in the game.
Scoring has little to with role. That is why there are scoring forwards and defensive forwards. There are scoring role players and defensive role players. Each role is important. Callahan scores, yet he is role player. Boyle is a Power Forward. The fact he doesn't score much won't change his role.

I'm referring to the fact that you pointed out that Callahan makes more money than Prust despite being a "character guy".

There are WAY more factors at work as to why he is paid so much more.

Also, I'd say Callahan is way more than just a role player. When I think role player, I think Fedetenko, I think Halpern and Prust and Boyle (as of the last two seasons) and Powe. Role players don't rack up the goals totals like Callahan.

Kershaw

Fedonteko 6 pts in 6 games vs. Devils in ECF series, key cog on the 3rd line, moreso than Boyle and Prust. This is a guy I miss more.

*Bob Richards*

Also. Goals win games. Goals put ***** in seats. Guys who score more goals generally make more money.

You don't give a guy 2.5 million per because he is really good at the PK and has a great work ethic.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Although I was ridiculed here numerous time over the years, I will say it again:

Anyone can score goals.

Let me clarify, any NHL player can hit a net corner or catch a goalie on the wrong move. ANY.
It all comes to consistency. Gaborik does it more constantly than Cally. That is why Gaborik's role is a sniper. Player can change his role over his career, but he could not do it on his own. Coach has to help. Cally, therefore, will remain a role player with goals scored being an extra benefit. Goals are expected from snipers. There is more to the hockey game than just hit the net. Or smashing someone's face. If Terrien decides to make Prust MTL Callahan it is possible to make it happen. Still scoring would not be the best use of Prust. Or Callahan.

Last edited:

*Bob Richards*

Although I was ridiculed here numerous time over the years, I will say it again:

Anyone can score goals.

Let me clarify, any NHL player can hit a net corner or catch a goalie on the wrong move. ANY.
It all comes to consistency. Gaborik does it more constantly than Cally. That is why Gaborik's role is a sniper. Player can change his role over his career, but he could not do it on his own. Coach has to help. Cally, therefore, will remain a role player with goals scored being an extra benefit. Goals are expected from snipers.

And not all players have the same amount of consistency. So that means that not just anyone can score goals. I'm finding this so ridiculous. It's like saying the only difference between Stu Bickel and Rick Nash is simply consistency.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

Anyone can score goals.

It all comes to consistency. Gaborik does it more constantly than Cally. That is why Gaborik's role is a sniper. Player can change his role over his career, but he could not do it on his own. Coach has to help. Cally, therefore, will remain a role player with goals scored being an extra benefit. Goals are expected from snipers. There is more to the hockey game than just hit the net. Or smashing someone's face. If Terrien decides to make Prust MTL Callahan it is possible to make it happen.

Wasn't Callahan second on the team in goals last year? Does that mean that everyone except for the leading goal scorer is a role player? Give me a break.

*Bob Richards*

Wasn't Callahan second on the team in goals last year? Does that mean that everyone except for the leading goal scorer is a role player? Give me a break.

He was.

He was also a role player much like Crosby and St. Louis and Neal were.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Oh, please... Keep that sarcasm of yours to yourself. Nash, Neal, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin are PFs. They make goals to happen for themselves. Callahan, like Prust is a garbage picker (with excellent backhand). Still Adam Graves (best in the business of garbage goals by a role player)is unreachable for him.
The only way for Sather to keep Prust was to change his role. He might have asked Torts about it, but torts prob said he can make Prust out of anyone. I wouldn't argue, he might.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->