How much do we miss Prust?

The Lone Ranger

Dec 10, 2011
All right, I know that Brandon Prust's salary demand might have been too high to fit into the team's payroll structure. But damn! I sure miss the guy. Excellent PK'er and grinder. A willingness to drop the gloves against almost anyone, if it would light a fire under the rest of the team's collective keister.

Who did we bring in this year to fill the void? Powe is a good PKer. Asham has grit and more than holds his own in fights. But nobody on the current roster has filled the role that Prust had in being the fiery emotional sparkplug that would get the Rangers to kick into overdrive whenever needed.

I'm not second-guessing Sather in letting Prust walk, as the team has to be careful in how available cap space is used. But I admit not realizing how much the Rangers would miss Prust this season. Montreal snagged him, and that move is paying dividends for them now.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Salary is pretty high, but I miss him here. He brought a lot to the team and really played his ass off every night. I honestly would almost say i would have paid him that salary just to keep him in our bottom 6.

Bardof425*

Right now I don't think we do. Loved him when he was here but the PK has improved and we are tough enough.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He is, without a doubt, the guy the Rangers miss most out of the departures, all things considered.

Cant lament his loss too much considering the salary.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
While I truly did like Prust, I think that the team might be missing him, in terms of having what a team needs to succeed, less than some Rangers fans do.
Prust was at his best during the 2010-2011 season, IMO. He showed an amazing balance between enforcement and being a true scoring threat.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I liked Prust, and would love him back, but no way should Sather have even came close to matching the Habs offer. Instead of that, Sather did the right thing in this situation, and went for depth instead.

I'd rather have Halpern, Asham, and Pyatt, than only Prust.

Kershaw

Team misses 10-11 Prust. 11-12? I would think he would be redundant had Powe still have been healthy.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Team misses 10-11 Prust. 11-12? I would think he would be redundant had Powe still have been healthy.

Powe doesnt give this team all that Prust did.

Yes, Prust's offensive #'s were better in 10-11, but his most valuable asset was being able to take the pulse of the team each night and act accordingly. He was a very smart player in that regard.

nick17

Feb 18, 2013
i definitely miss Prust but obviously too much salary so i think we did the right move by letting him walk

cjc5103

Jan 21, 2013
Washington DC
They will miss him the most during long stretches in the season when they need some toughness. Hopefully it doesn't hurt them down the stretch if they make a Playoff run.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
My question is about the question.

Is the team missing him, and finds his absence to be detrimental to success, or are we talking about how people miss him because they loved his heart and effort?

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
If he was easy to replace we wouldn't be complaining about his departure in the first place. All things considered I think management did a pretty damn good job of filling his void on the cheap. Halpern, Asham, and Powe of course are not all individually on Prust's level but they cost us virtually nothing and have done a fantastic job doing the ugly things that Prust did.

Prust was a great servent of the organization and I'd love to have him back but we all know the situation. He got offered something by Montreal we were in no position to match. A nice player to have but ultimately a depth player. We're 7-2-1 in our last 10 games and clearly holding out okay. Let's move on already.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
We miss Prust's character, but I thought his on-ice play was inconsistent last year. I recall being frustrated with him because too many of his passes resulted in turnovers, and I think he could have used a little more discretion in picking his fights. I appreciate his gutsy effort but he should not be fighting the likes of Sutton or Boulton.

Prust, somewhat similar to Boyle, played in a 3rd line role when he was better-suited as a 4th liner. He looked good in 2010-11 but was in over his head a bit last season. His toughness and work ethic are missed - the other elements of his game aren't.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I have this feeling we won't be missing him too much after tomorrow.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Miss him for sure. He's a warrior.

Rangers don't have what he brought to the table. willingness at the drop of a dime. He was always ready to.

I like Asham, but how much tread is left on the tires?

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
So, the question remains.

Are the Rangers worse off because Prust is no longer a Ranger?

I think the Rangers are just fine, and moving on as they should.

Dorado*

Nice player who Torts tended to over play . Great as a fourth liner . Missed but not pining over him

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I have this feeling we won't be missing him too much after tomorrow.

Ugh, so true. He's going to be Prust, and we'll learn to hate him as a Hab. The real question is, will he and Boyle have a go? :naughty:

Can we please stop making Prust out to be Bobby Nystrom? Prust was great in 2010-11. He was mostly a 4th liner in 11-12.

Have to agree. I'd take Halpern over Prust any day. Speed+PK+faceoffs works for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00